Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #1

Question Would this Bus make a good motorhome?

Ad says Tour Bus with low miles and it's a 1999 Thomas Built Bus for 7900.00 dollars and has 220,000 miles and sleeps 8 people and has 3 bench seats.

Thanks
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Maybe with your wallet. Not with mine.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #3

Here is the ad

Ricky Young said I'm selling my 1999 Thomas Built Bus as I have upgraded to a bigger MCI tour bus. This bus was so much fun over the last 2 years. It was bought as a school bus and has been converted to sleep 8 people. It has 5 bunks, and 3 bench seats which allow for 3 more sleepers. It has a built in bar. Less than 220,000 miles! Have had zero problems with the Cat engine, made to drive 1,000,000 miles. It has a 6000 Power Source power inverter to run whatever you need powered. Outlets throughout bus. Heat built it. Installed a roof AC unit. Tires are all about 75% so no need for tires for a long time! Title in hand. It has bin storage for full band and PA if needed! Never pull another trailer! Storage under each bench seat and under 5th bunk as well.

As you see, it has a wrap installed on it. Underneath was painted black before the wrap was installed. It was installed by Brand Imaging Group in La Vergne TN. They can print and install your band name and tour over the names on the wrap. I'd imagine to cover up our name and tour around whole bus would likely cost around $2500.

Here are the things that I have recently replaced...

- Brand new computer ECM (I was having issues with it cutting off and the repair shop said I should have a new ECM installed). I've only taken it out twice since installation (Columbus OH and Columbia SC) and had no issues.

- Wiring around ECM unit and relay switches. ($2500)

- New water pump

- New fuel filters

- About 6 months ago I had a couple oil leaks fixed ($2300)

- Roof AC unit and inverter ($1800)
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

https://nashville.craigslist.org/rvs/4976536746.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00202_cvyw6QdBetK_600x450.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	92365  
Old 04-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thomas Built makes "real" buses (like for school and transportation districts):
All Thomas Buses - Thomas Built Buses

Would need to more info to make any kind recommendation...but...
(EDIT - Yep it's a school bus. Low gears and heavy. Built like a tank, it would probably be able to go anywhere.

This is not be a cross country passenger coach like used by Greyhound and similar entities - but is a hard working bus.
So, take that for what it is worth

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #5

You might be better off listing this in the classified section.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
You might be better off listing this in the classified section.

Joel
I'm not selling this bus I'm buying it maybe.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #7

Some points:
A school bus typically does not have any underfloor storage, so where are the water, black and grey water tanks? Does it even have a toilet?
What kind of heating does it have? Any kind of heat when the bus is not running?
75% tread on tires is meaningless. RV tires age out long before the tread is gone. Our tires are 90%, but they are 7 years old and will be replaced next week.
Think you will be better off getting an RV that was built as an RV instead of a patchjob.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Suggest you do some reading at Skoolie.net about school bus conversions. Nice folks there.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #9

I've seen a lot of Greyhound type buses already converted for $15-35,000 on craiglist.Go to search tempest.com you can search as many miles from your home zipcode as you want to drive.They will serv you a lot better then a school bus,they all have airide ,cruise better & have storage that you need.I've also seen converted school buses from $7-15,000,just keep shopping & looking & you'll find a great deal.
sewmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
Ad says Tour Bus with low miles and it's a 1999 Thomas Built Bus for 7900.00 dollars and has 220,000 miles and sleeps 8 people and has 3 bench seats.

Thanks
yes it would make a great rv, are you willing to do the conversion? its a lot of work, but the rewards are fantastic. I have a dog nose bus I converted in 2010, love driving it, and staying in it, it can go cross country to boon docking at your favored fishing hole, built like a tank. We had a nice dutch star , other then the nice pretty stuff it had, and nice ride, we are having more fun in our bus You really have to check out Skoolie.net lots to read and learn. Just so you know its a lot of work, some people will look down at you, it may be hard to get insurance, you may not be allowed in some rv parks. I thin its well worth it.
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #11

Recommend you get a Wanderlodge motorhome. They are factory built as an RV but on a bus chassis. I would not recommend a motorhome chassis unless it had 22.5" wheels and tires and brakes. Most motorhomes have oversize car tires, not to mention lousy brakes. I laugh when I see some of these brand new huge motorhomes with these little bitty wheels, tires and brakes. My coach is only 29 ft. and still has 18 wheeler sized wheels with air brakes.

Phil Swanson
95 Baby Bird RV Bus
philipswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:37 AM   #12

This bus has been Sold.

Tags
motorhome