Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #15

First of all, in most every dually type application I have ever seen there is no difference in the wheels, two on the rear are simply facing the way for mount up so...they should all be able to balance on the same equipment.

Just for peace of mind, I would want to KNOW they all are balanced!

Finally and most important, the main reason why I would mandate spin balancing any tire/wheel is to visually verify it's proper bead seat/run out and/or if said tire or wheel could be defective prior to rolling down the road.
cutlooselily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 06:27 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
I don't understand why you wouldn't want your tires balanced. I have seen cars on the highway where the rear wheels are hopping. This just leads to advanced wear and tear on vehicle and tire. To each their own though.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #17

Just had a chance to crawl around my truck. The fronts are definitely not balanced so I am assuming the rears are not as well. My truck was purchased used so I have no idea of the mindset of the last owner..head bang.

Off to the balance shop tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #18

I've used DynaBeads in mine. I've had them in my steer tires for a few years and just put new drives on this spring and did the beads in those tires at that time. I don't have any special valves. Haven't had any problems. I also run a Pressure Pro so each valve stem has the sender screwed onto it. It seems impossible for the beads to somehow get into that valve stem and screw up the valve. I think the beads work well. I've also heard Centramatics work well. DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads
Old 07-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #19

Just found the filtered valve core question answered on the DynaBeads web site: A: When using the Standard size bead (Standard Bag, EZ-Open, Motorcycle), the purpose of the filtered valve core is to prevent a bead from getting caught in the valve core mechanism. If a bead gets caught in the valve core mechanism, it will jam the valve core in the open position and air will leak out. Filtered Valve Cores are not required if using the Large beads (Off Road, Tractor Trailer, RV).

Note: Filtered valve cores, however, do not fit a lot of the newer valve stems. They require a seat 1-1/4" down in the stem. If you cannot use them, simply rotate the tire so the valve stem is about the 6:00 position, or give the valve stem a quick shot of air prior to checking pressure.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #20

Found a interesting video about DynaBeads too:
Old 07-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
I've used DynaBeads in mine. I've had them in my steer tires for a few years and just put new drives on this spring and did the beads in those tires at that time. I don't have any special valves. Haven't had any problems. I also run a Pressure Pro so each valve stem has the sender screwed onto it. It seems impossible for the beads to somehow get into that valve stem and screw up the valve. I think the beads work well. I've also heard Centramatics work well. DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads

These beads were put in my steer tire when there was not a spin balance available. The FIRST time I went to check tire pressure, air continued to flow from the valve after I removed the gauge. There was no stopping it. Valve was jammed open.
The tire shop told me he would fire any of his guys that failed to put screened valves in with beads. He also said he doesn't worry about that because he will not use balancing beads.

Rod
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:29 PM   #22

I had two valves stick open on tires that didn't have beads in them. I've never had a valve stick open on a tire with beads in it. To each his own.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
I had two valves stick open on tires that didn't have beads in them. I've never had a valve stick open on a tire with beads in it. To each his own.

Bob, I apologize if you thought my comments were of a "to each his own" nature. They weren't meant to be.
The FACTS are, that if you have standard dynabeads in your RV, you need screens per the manufacturer.
I'm not making up my experience and can't imagine someone wanting to chance it.

Rod
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #24

For what it is worth to this conversation, I have the Centramatics installed on steer and drive. Just purchased new tires all around and had all tires spin balanced along with the Centramatics. Centramatics recommends balancing the tires as the Centramatics will handle any later situations that would cause an out of balance condition, and there are things in the steer and drive mechanisms that can cause vibrations other than the tires. The Centramatics should correct those situations.

Also, when the new tires were being balanced, several needed to be rotated on the rim to reduce the amount of weight needed get balance. It also gives you an opportunity to detect any out of round conditions with the tires.

To me, tires are way to important to my enjoyment and safety while traveling, not to mention they are very expensive, to not take every opportunity to get the best ride possible. Balancing is very inexpensive compared to the price of the tires.

Just my thoughts.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, laugh if you will, but haven't balanced many tires in recent years. Think, as a rule, they are molded more true that they were many years back. That said, after the initial tire install on the rim and inflation, I then fully deflate the tire and re inflate again. On a quality steel rim, look at the tire and observe a slight ring that is generally about 1/4 inch in from the bead. Many times you will see that it is not true with the wheel. After deflating and re inflating, it generally will be much more true to the rim. Haven't had balance e problems then throughout the speed range.
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
The FACTS are, that if you have standard dynabeads in your RV, you need screens per the manufacturer.
I'm not making up my experience and can't imagine someone wanting to chance it.
Rod
I have 11R22.5 tires on my rig. I use the RV spec DynaBeads and according to their web site you don't need valve core filters with those beads. See my post #19 above (a copy and paste from their FAQ). So, I guess I should have specified that earlier. It's not clear on their site at what point a tire is considered and "RV" tire. If you just have regular LT or auto type tires, or smaller trailer tires, you might need valve core filters. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #27

Both front tires on mine leaked air big time with beads in them,the only thing that kept air in them was the pressure monitors,removed and cleaned out the tires and went with centramatics.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we use balance beads....smoooth as silk

i would hate to be the otr guy driving a rig with unbalanced fronts to say the least
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote