Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #15

I can appreciate the fact that the guy did it and made it work, this is not an insignificant undertaking. But there are some basic facts at work here.
I think that pickup is woefully overloaded regardless what other "after-fixes" have been added to the suspension and the chassis and going around the corners probably produces some "spectacular frame roll".
Having 2-3,000 pounds of pin weight in the bed helps some, but I wouldn't drive that sucker loaded with the Smart bobtail except straight and level and only for a short distance. The center of the gravity on that pair is probably at the level of the drivers head, you take a corner with it at any speed and watch it lay on its side.
I know, I added a hoist 12 feet up on my rig.

It only weighs around 500 pounds and the truck felt like it was going go over after I mounted it. And that's on a 20,000 pound truck, I take corners gingerly when I'm driving it solo.
I can only imagine what 1,800 pounds feels like up there on 8,000 pound pickup. Yahooooooooooooooooooooooo!

hjs

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #16

Nah, just put a hitch on the trailer and pull his 37ft. Power boat behind.

Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #17

Hjs - why the hoist? Is it for a motorcycle?
Old 10-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Hjs - why the hoist? Is it for a motorcycle?
I use the hoist as a hoist, for hitches, heavy items, etc. I built two other garages like that, both are used for motorcycles.

hjs
Old 10-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #19

I'm taking a guess here but I get he built that for a sidexside atv and put his smart car on it for the heck of it, I'm not one to worry too much about weight but this is nuts!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #20

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by both9 View Post
I saw this on another site and thought i would share it.
So he has a mosquito instead of a toad?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post
Interesting concept, would love to see how he gets it up there having done this.

It has got be at least twice as high.
In my engineering circles there is a saying, "anything can be built once, never to be duplicated again".

hjs
This is one of the nicest solutions I've seen for loading a Smart or maybe a side by side. I am just spec'ing out a 2014 VNL730 Single rear axle truck and have talked to Gregg at Rvhaulers in Calgary about this type of deck. I will probably be adding this to the new truck. I had mentioned to Gregg that I wondered if air bags under this deck could take some of the harshness of a HDT away from the Smart car...thinking out loud again.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
This is one of the nicest solutions I've seen for loading a Smart or maybe a side by side. I am just spec'ing out a 2014 VNL730 Single rear axle truck and have talked to Gregg at Rvhaulers in Calgary about this type of deck. I will probably be adding this to the new truck. I had mentioned to Gregg that I wondered if air bags under this deck could take some of the harshness of a HDT away from the Smart car...thinking out loud again.
Rick, Smarts and HDTs go hand in hand with each other.

This was the scene and the HDT Rally in Hutchinson, KS earlier this month and all those Smarts and other vehicles (except the truck) came to the Rally on the backs of those trucks. Greg's little diesel Smart is also in the front row.
With a deck and a Smart and a pin weight of the fifth, most of the harshness of an HDT pretty much disappears. Besides, even thought the Smart's tires are lashed down, Smart's suspension is still in play when carried on top of the truck, so I would say that the truck's harshness is not an issue.
Greg and I are collaborating on the hydraulic Smart loader and he has another client who is having one built.

hjs
Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by both9 View Post
I saw this on another site and thought i would share it.
His car might be smart, but I do question his!:
Old 10-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #24

Excel Owners Club
hjs,
That is a impressive picture from the rally and hope to make it down there one year. Gregg and I have been working closely on this new project and am getting close to the final spec on the factory order. We are trying to get this to the point of a new market segment where people can factory order a new Volvo VNL730/780 RV hauler. This should be a viable option to those like me that went the Freightliner Sport Chassis route. I do think the hydraulic lift is the nicest and safest option.

RickS is offline   Reply With Quote