Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #1

While doing some research the other night, I cam across this web site. http://www.powerhousecoach.com/coaches1.html

Has anyone ever checked them out? I might be in the market for a new coach, and these coaches look incredible.

Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #2

While doing some research the other night, I cam across this web site. http://www.powerhousecoach.com/coaches1.html

Has anyone ever checked them out? I might be in the market for a new coach, and these coaches look incredible.

Mike
Old 10-25-2010, 06:40 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
They also come with an incredible price !
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:59 AM   #4

Mike, what you are talking about is a Truck Conversion, they are a class unto themselves, I have one, and would highly recommend them. They are reasonably priced, and often less expensive than a comparably equipped DP. There are a few companies that I would recommend above Powerhouse. Renegade and Showhauler are two, I also know a few smaller companies that would do a great job for you. Truck Conversions are often custom made so you can get the layout that you want, mine is built on a Freightliner Columbia Chassis, I have a Det Diesel 515 hp Turbo Charged engine (it is a beast ). Truck Conversions ride like nothing else, solid as a rock, and never underpowered. STorage is not as ample as a DP, the drivetrain in a TC prevents full pass through basement storage, but for my money the advantages of a TC far out weight the negatives. If you would like more info, ask away, we can keep the thread alive for any and all TC questions,,, Regards, Gene
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Actually this entire forum is open for discussion of ALL HDT (heavy duty truck) conversions, not just this thread.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #6

One can dream, huh!

I guess I'll have to buy a PowerBall AND MegaMillions ticket this week.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #7

I have not taken much notice of HDT coaches but did follow the linnks here to Powercoach and then to Showhauler..very nice stuff indeed. I live in NE Indiana and close to Showhauler in Middlebury, IN...I may just try to schedule a plant tour.
Is there a significant mpg/operating cost difference between a HDT vs DP motorhome if of comparable size?
Kountry87Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry87Air View Post
I have not taken much notice of HDT coaches but did follow the linnks here to Powercoach and then to Showhauler..very nice stuff indeed. I live in NE Indiana and close to Showhauler in Middlebury, IN...I may just try to schedule a plant tour.
Is there a significant mpg/operating cost difference between a HDT vs DP motorhome if of comparable size?
It is considerably less expensive to maintain a TC, we can pull into any truck service center coast to coast and pay a different rate for service than a DP. The nose tips forward giving full easy access to the engine for all service.....G
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #9

Check out NRC (www.nrcmod.com). They build an awesome product. Most are built for race teams. One of the best features is they hold there value better than any other manufacturer. I bought a used 1997 coach in 2002 and sold it in 2006 for more than I paid. I did however maintain it to the highest standards.
WBGrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #10

I agree with Genecop. Truck conversions are great motorhomes. Don't let some of those prices scare you off. You'd be amazed at what you can get in the used market. Check out www.racingjunk.com . They have a rv section for truck conversions. There are lots of used rigs around various lots too. Just have to know where to look for them. Most "conventional" rv dealers don't get involved in truck conversions for whatever reasons. I've had my t/c for two summers, love it. We've put a fair amount of miles on it. Like Gene said, service is great and generally less expensive than a d/p. Also a lot more places work on a t/c since it's the same to service as most box trucks. Safety is unmatched too.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #11

Count me in on having a T/C. Love ours and I feel so much more at ease driving this rig over my class A I had. No more white knuckles.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #12

On a strict cost comparison across the board with any Class A motorhome with the same amenities, you are WAY further ahead with one of these T/C coaches.

Consider the horsepower and torque factors alone with one of the newer Freedomline, Ultraline or I-shift auto-shifting straight gear transmissions without the parasitic Allison Auto hp losses via the torque convertor and multiple clutch packs.

No engine space intrusion into the rear of the coach, it's all available for living or storage room as the engine is out front on one of these. The configuration of the sleeper cab versions allows for conversion to a legitimate 4 passenger rig with everyone facing front with their own seat belts, even an electric drop down queen size bed above those seats is available on some.

Separate entrances for all cab riders instead of everyone having to exit/enter via the "bus" door on the right side which means passenger must get out of her seat or enter last to allow you to re-enter after fueling. This also allows a separate entry for the coach itself instead of having to enter your living quarters via that same "bus" door.

These rigs were designed with towing in mind so a 40,000lb rated rear hitch isn't out of the question AND your trailer can be equipped with the "real deal" air brakes if desired with air circuitry and glad hands already a design feature of the chassis.

Also can be configured with the original "real" tandem axles with power divider and air locker to control all 8 wheels back there instead of the single driver with tag axle under most larger D/P's.

Service of unit will be cheaper and more expedient as well with not having to swing a radiator out of the way to even see the engine and virtually ALL service centers able to perform service on an OTR tractor based T/C.

I'm sure there's lot's more pro's that I haven't mentioned but for starters these should be enough.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #13

Yep, no disagreement from me. Nor from anybody else that has one.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #14

I am blown away at this "revelation".

Up until I found this thread, I had been discarding the T/C MHs as a used SnapOn tools conversion. That of course, is because I never saw one.

I have just spent the last 3 hours reading everything on the Powerhouse and blown away. If I can find one that is 5 years or older, the initial higher cost of it could be offset by the reduced maintenance costs.

And that Lateral Parking feature? My tongue is hanging out. ha ha ha

Now to see if I can rework my "TT budget" to include one of these things
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote