Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #1

Just found this forum while searching the internet for answers and I'm judging that with the vast knowledge on here, I'll be able to find some answers to my questions.

I have purchased a 1995 Freightliner FLD112 at auction for a fair price and I purchased it to haul a 53' drop deck van trailer that we will haul our two personal trucks in to various pulling events around the Midwest. I would like to put RV tags on the tractor as i dont plan on doing it for hire at all, just my own trucks. I've seen the guidelines for some other states, and I've been all over the Michigan DOT and SOS website and cant find what I need to classify as a RV. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know that there are other guys doing what I want to do as I've seen the trucks at events with MotorHome plates on them. The trailer we just purchased in KY has "travel trailer" plates on it even.
dmaxalliTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #2

Just found this forum while searching the internet for answers and I'm judging that with the vast knowledge on here, I'll be able to find some answers to my questions.

I have purchased a 1995 Freightliner FLD112 at auction for a fair price and I purchased it to haul a 53' drop deck van trailer that we will haul our two personal trucks in to various pulling events around the Midwest. I would like to put RV tags on the tractor as i dont plan on doing it for hire at all, just my own trucks. I've seen the guidelines for some other states, and I've been all over the Michigan DOT and SOS website and cant find what I need to classify as a RV. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know that there are other guys doing what I want to do as I've seen the trucks at events with MotorHome plates on them. The trailer we just purchased in KY has "travel trailer" plates on it even.
dmaxalliTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #3

Hey dmaxalliTech, I remember you from The Diesel Place. I don'tknow the answer, but if you can't get an answer here try the link below.
http://escapees.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/353102588
Cheers
Bear
2000 Volvo 660 425hp 1550ft/lbs torque, 15 speed. 2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS (40'10") triple slide 5'er, Trailair pinbox, Onan 5500 Marquis Platnum, 300 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, 2003 Harley Davidson Road King. 3 Polaris Sportsman quads, 94
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #4

Welcome to irv2.com! Go to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website and read the requirements for needing a CDL. I intrepret them to say if you profit from driving you are required to possess a CDL, even if that profit is a trophy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Under section 390.3 of the FMCSR (Interpretations) the following interpretation pertaining to a question of transporting of race cars might be found:

Question 21: Does the exemption in §390.3(f)(3) for the "occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise" apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">dmaxalliTech </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
MIichigan works like this, mostly. You buy the truck and put in a microwave, Portapotty, inverter and the rest of the stuff so that it is self suffiecient. Then you gp tp sect of st and get a form (forgot what it is called) and have St Pol or Sheriff Dept inspect for the changes. If the Vin matches & etc you then apply for a new title as a motor home.
Peaceful
Old 10-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #7

Forgot to say that allow 6 to 8 weeks for new title.
Peaceful
Old 10-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #8

Finally found it.
. Cooking
2. Refrigeration or ice box
3. Self contained toilet
4. Heating or Air conditioning
5. Portable water supply system including a faucet and sink
6. Separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply or an LP gas supply
A conversion of a bus or truck to living and sleeping facilities and used for camping requires the certificate of title to be surrendered for correction of the body style.
Peaceful
Old 10-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #9

Be careful! In MT, you can only register a truck as an rv if it meet the equipment requirements (4 out of 5 items) Peaceful listed. It also must only be used bobtail or pulling your personal living quarters (trailer or fiver). If you pull anything else, even your personal property, it is illegal. Everyone must have a CDL to drive anything combined weight over 26,000# on a public roadway (personal rvs - mhs, trailers & fivers excluded). MT used to be more lax than they've become recently. I suspect it is similar in most states.

I also suspect that the mh plates you see on many trucks and the travel trailer plates on van trailers are not legal and could get you in lots of trouble if you had an accident or a LEO pushed it.

JMHO

Marv

2001 Volvo VNL42T420, ISX, 181"wb, 3.42 axle, super 10, gearmaster
marvmarcy is offline   Reply With Quote