Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #57

Living in he netherlands i have a dream of becoming a full timer rver in north america, but money is the big issue. So i am looking for info on rv's especially class A, super C and fifth wheels (hdt). What is confusing me is that when you have an commercial truck, you have to get a CDL. But when that truck is converted into a motorhome you don't have to get the CDL. Is it regulated by state or*did i miss something, i am not a native english speaking person.
nielswil68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielswil68 View Post
Living in he netherlands i have a dream of becoming a full timer rver in north america, but money is the big issue. So i am looking for info on rv's especially class A, super C and fifth wheels (hdt). What is confusing me is that when you have an commercial truck, you have to get a CDL. But when that truck is converted into a motorhome you don't have to get the CDL. Is it regulated by state or*did i miss something, i am not a native english speaking person.
Nope, you got that about right. Some states require CDL for lengths longer than 65 feet, I have a 40' diesel and a small 4x4 behind it and I'm about 55 feet total. If you drive this rig for personal reasons, no cdl required. Same rig for business, cdl required in most states. And don't worry about your English, you already speak more languages than most of us.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Nope, you got that about right. Some states require CDL for lengths longer than 65 feet, I have a 40' diesel and a small 4x4 behind it and I'm about 55 feet total. If you drive this rig for personal reasons, no cdl required. Same rig for business, cdl required in most states. And don't worry about your English, you already speak more languages than most of us.
I will (when getting the chance) go for the CDL, to be safe for me and my fellow car drivers.
Thanks for your kid words, but writing english is easy compared to reading and speaking.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Weight has more bearing on the CDL requirement. Any rig over 26,000 lbs. combined gross vehicle weight (total weight of the vehicle including the trailer or towed car) requires either a CDL or a passenger car regular license with a special endorsement for the weight requirement. Every state has their own rules and licensing procedures, however, the Federal government has guidelines so they will be pretty uniform across the country.

TOM
2003Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CDL = Commercial Driver's License. "Commercial" means driving for pay/reimbursement.

Each state gov't controls the Driver's licensing in their state...and all 50 states and the US Territories honor all other licenses.

No state (that I know of) requires a CDL for any private RV of any size or weight.
BUT...many states require the driver to obtain a different "class" of private (non-commercial) driver's license for the biggest RV's.

Even full-timing in an RV requires set-up of "residency". To the OP, what state would you be seeking licensing in (where will your residency/domicile be based)? With the state of residency named, specifics of licensing can be discussed.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:07 AM   #62

So, if i am right, it is just asking in the state where i like to go which driver's license is requiered. I have no idea where i want to go. Living in a country with no forrest and mountains, 1 hour drive from the sea i want to be in the area with mounains and forrests. And i will go for snow instead sun. But that is when i have some money. My driver's license is only for the average vehicle and small trucks (compare them with the b-class motorhome).
Thank you for your answers.

Niels.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #63

If someone has aditional information, please share this. The more info, the better i feel.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Neils, the first big decision is deciding which state you will call 'home base', that will decide which license will be required, license plates for coach/ car, annual inspection for coach / car (if required) insurance for coach/ car, and renewal cycle for above items. After that you are free to roam the country and do business via web, mail service, remotely. Not all states are the same for the above requirements, hence why some full timers chose different locations.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
Neils, the first big decision is deciding which state you will call 'home base', that will decide which license will be required, license plates for coach/ car, annual inspection for coach / car (if required) insurance for coach/ car, and renewal cycle for above items. After that you are free to roam the country and do business via web, mail service, remotely. Not all states are the same for the above requirements, hence why some full timers chose different locations.
Kerryvan, i have no idea which state could be my home base. And some things you mentioned are the same in the netherlands, like checking your car, the sort of license. But also how to make money on the road. It could turn to difficult for of fullfilling my dream and becoming a full/part time rv-guy.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #66

Over on the Escapees forum under the HDT section is a link to the HDT Resource Guide. It list the requirements for trucks for all states. jfyi
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:28 PM   #67

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can someone tell me more about the live action part of the class A test in Texas? My DH well have no issues, it's me who has only pulled the trailer when it's been an emergency. Any suggestions? Thank yoi
Old 12-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #68

I won't give you definitive directions, but from what I understand, if you pick a smaller place to get the test done it is easier than at a larger facility (but I don't know for certain). For the most part it involves going forward and not a difficult backing test. The biggest thing (in my book) is to get plenty of practice to where you are comfortable and then go for it!
Old 12-19-2016, 01:32 AM   #69

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
I won't give you definitive directions, but from what I understand, if you pick a smaller place to get the test done it is easier than at a larger facility (but I don't know for certain). For the most part it involves going forward and not a difficult backing test. The biggest thing (in my book) is to get plenty of practice to where you are comfortable and then go for it!
Thank you, that was very helpful. My DH is awesome at this, no biggie. I'm just the backup plan.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:20 AM   #70

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMTurner74 View Post
Thank you, that was very helpful. My DH is awesome at this, no biggie. I'm just the backup plan.
I took my Class A Exempt (common name for non-CDL Class A) in 2012 in Granbury. Small office, but not as small a Cleburne. The route was through town and a small stretch of highway. I almost flunked the exam because I came real close to jumping the curb during a tight right hand turn. The two biggest requirements is to back the trailer straight and to parallel park the trailer in a designated space. Don't forget to turn on your emergency flashers when backing and turn them off when done.

If you ask a number of professional truck drivers when they last parallel parked their trailer, most will say when they took their CDL Class A drivers test.

P.S. For anyone reading this post. Not all DPS Troopers and DPS Drivers License office personnel know about Class A and B Exempt requirements for RV's and Motorhomes. I was told by clerks and DPS Troopers in multiple offices that I did not need any special license. I called the DPS office in Austin and talked to a person of authority who confirmed the Class A and B Exempt requirements for RV's and Motorhomes.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver