Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #1

Drivers License

If we move to a HDT, do I need to go back to South Dakota to change my license to a "Class A" non-cdl?
Texas for instance would require me to have one, but does SD?

rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I pretty sure they require no special license at all.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #3

For Texas at least, the requirements are based off GVWR of truck and trailer, so the fact that it's a HDT aren't the factor.

Here:
Class [A] License - Combination Vehicles - Any combination of vehicles with gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds falls in Group A, providing the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. Most Class A vehicles are trucks such as tractor-trailer or truck and trailer combinations. Driving a Class A vehicle requires considerably more skill and knowledge than driving vehicles in Classes B and C. Because these skills include those required to drive a Class B and C (with appropriate endorsements) vehicle, a driver who has a Class A license also may drive vehicles in Classes B and C.

Class [B] License - Heavy Straight Vehicles - Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds falls in Group B, or any such vehicle towing another vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR. Class B includes straight trucks and large buses. Safely driving these heavy vehicles requires considerably more knowledge and skill than driving the small trucks and buses found in Class C. Because they include the skills required to drive Class C (with appropriate endorsements) vehicles, drivers who have qualified for a Class B license may also drive vehicles in Class C.

Class [C] License - Small Vehicles - Any single vehicle with a GVWR less than 26,001 pounds falls in Group C, or any such vehicle towing another vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR. However, vehicles of this size are included in the Commercial Driver License (CDL) program only if they are: 1) designed to carry 16 or more passengers including the driver, or 2) used to transport hazardous materials in quantities requiring placarding under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR Part 172, Subpart F).

Just like Texas.
South Dakota Department of Public Safety: Licensing: Driver Licensing
Old 12-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Good post. I stand corrected.

This is the first I've heard of SD requiring non commercial A/B testing.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I both have the class A non-CDL for Texas.

Ken
Old 12-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
My wife and I both have the class A non-CDL for Texas.

Ken
Everyone SHOULD. Same price, same 6yr (or whatever) renewal period, and it's easy.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Good post. I stand corrected.

This is the first I've heard of SD requiring non commercial A/B testing.

Rick
Rick, before you start getting ready to head to your local DMV I would reread what was sent to you through this forum. At the very bottom it said "more about CDL" under Driver Licensing.

I read nothing into this stating "Non-CDL" (A) or (B) for South Dakota.

If someone sees something differently please let me know.
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #8

While all this is true concerning weight, its all CDL related and alot of y'all are talking about Texas.
I'm not moving to Texas, (although I live here part time), My residence is South Dakota.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Who Does Not Need A South Dakota Commercial Driver License?
• Operators serving in the United States military, operating commercial vehicles in pursuit of military purposes.
• Operators of emergency firefighting equipment necessary to the preservation of life, property, or the execution
of emergency governmental functions performed under emergency conditions that aren’t subject to normal
traffic regulation.
• Operators of rental transporting equipment used as personal family use vehicles.
Operators of recreation vehicles used as personal family recreational use vehicles.
• Operators involved in farm to market transportation movements, at least 16 years of age holding a valid
operator’s license, limited to those operators of a farm vehicle:
(a) Controlled and operated by a farmer,
(b) Used to transport either agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from a farm, and
(c) Not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier,
(d) Used within 150 miles of a person’s farm.
It would appear that Recreational Vehicles in South Dakota DO NOT need a CDL... See above.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #10

Ding ding ding!
Thank you! That was the page I was trying to find.
That will make life easier.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #11

This doesn't say that you don't need the appropriate class of license just that you, in these cases, do not need a CDL
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #12

I'm going tomorrow to do my driving test for a Texas class A. Officially called a certified drivers license. Just to confuse everyone. Been practicing my parallel parking. Hope like hell they pass over that. It's happened.
JC and Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
Ding ding ding!
Thank you! That was the page I was trying to find.
That will make life easier.
Hold up 1 moment...no CDL is right, because it is a RV - but -...
See here for South Dakota's licensing catagories...look surprisingly like California's:
South Dakota Department of Public Safety: Licensing: Driver Licensing

Reads like said above...has to do with GVWR of the vehicle you are driving and/or the trailer...at 26,001lb GVWR or to tow a trailer over 10,000lb (no mention here about 5er's) many states want you to get a non-commercial Class B.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #14

This is the paragraph that I'm having issues with. When We went to get our SD licenses I asked if I needed this Class A because our towed weight is over 10k. They said "No" because I wasn't commercial. They never asked what kind of vehicle I was driving.
Class [A] License - Combination Vehicles - Any combination of vehicles with gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds falls in Group A, providing the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. Most Class A vehicles are trucks such as tractor-trailer or truck and trailer combinations. Driving a Class A vehicle requires considerably more skill and knowledge than driving vehicles in Classes B and C. Because these skills include those required to drive a Class B and C (with appropriate endorsements) vehicle, a driver who has a Class A license also may drive vehicles in Classes B and C.
So If I'm not commercial by law do I need this level of licence?
I do understand that having this level of license demonstrates that I have demostrated that I can manuver, do a pre-flight check of systems, and am basically a safe driver of the rig.

Tags
driver