Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #1

FET

Has anyone bought a new heavy truck (class 8) with 5th wheel and avoided FET? I have a Kenworth T680 spec'ed but the dealer can't figure out how to avoid FET and I'm not inclined to pay an extra 12%...And yes, it's going to be titled as an RV.

Thanks in advance!
eweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #2

Go over to the HDT site on Escapee's- RVnetwork.com [moderator edit]
I don't think anyone that has bought a new truck for RV hauler purpose has paid FET because we're not commercial.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #3

...that's what I keep telling the dealer but they can't seem to figure it out. I'll jump over there - thanks for the lead.
eweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:21 AM   #4

Not supposed to need to pay FET if it's titled as RV
Old 08-22-2017, 03:10 AM   #5

I would ask on the Escapees HDT Forum. There are a couple of trucks that have been purchased new without FET. At one time, that was an absolute rule by the IRS that a new truck has FET tax. That was not the spirit of the Law as passed by Congress but the IRS interprets Laws as it sees fit. Perhaps the light of day has come to the IRS and not many truck dealers know about it.

The reason dealers are wary of not collecting FET is that they are responsible for it if the IRS deems it should have been collected. So I was surprised when the first brand new Volvo was purchased without FET for use as an RV, and then another.

Asking on the Escapees HDT Forum is a better chance to get an answer as HDTers tend to shun IRV2 as there was a time being an HDTer got you flamed on IRV2.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #6

This question was asked a while ago now so it may no longer be a issue but I will throw my 2 cents in. The only way I have found to avoid FET is to spec the truck to have a GVWR of 33K or under.

In the case of my Volvo currently on order I have a 12.5K front axle and a 20K rear suspension for a 32.5K GVWR. I have heard of others trying different things but how well those have worked is questionable and the methods difficult. A dealer does not care how you are going to register it. They only care about the law and being able to cover their buts with the Fed's.
13speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #7

Under 33,000 GVWR is not subject to FET as a straight truck. A tractor is limited to 19,500 GVWR to not be subject to FET.

Many of the early converters got into trouble by ordering a straight truck (no hitch) and then adding the hitch during the conversion to RV Hauler. But any accessory added in the first six months can be taxed and included in the classification of the truck. I.E. putting a hitch on in the first six months drops the GVWR to 19,500 and makes the truck subject to FET. That put a lot of SportsChassis dealers out of business as when the IRS came a-calling, the dealer was subject to the tax if the dealer had not collected it from the buyer.

That is why most of the early HDT conversions were used trucks to avoid the FET.

And checking, apparently the IRS does not use the 6 month window on a new truck anymore. Only the secondary sale (used) is exempt.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13speed View Post
This question was asked a while ago now so it may no longer be a issue but I will throw my 2 cents in. The only way I have found to avoid FET is to spec the truck to have a GVWR of 33K or under.

In the case of my Volvo currently on order I have a 12.5K front axle and a 20K rear suspension for a 32.5K GVWR. I have heard of others trying different things but how well those have worked is questionable and the methods difficult. A dealer does not care how you are going to register it. They only care about the law and being able to cover their buts with the Fed's.

Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Thank you!
13speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #10

You only pay the FET on the truck if you buy it with a commercial 5th wheel plat on it. I went through the same thing a few years ago. buy the truck and put it on yourself later.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:57 AM   #11

.tn
2nsman is offline   Reply With Quote