Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #1

If you are considering the purchase of an HDT, here's a link to what goes into converting it to a Toterhome capable of carrying your small vehicle. There are photos from start to almost finished. Should be getting it back this next week! My Volvo has a steel bed that's 18.5 feet long behind the cab. Allowing for clearance of the fifth wheel and 6" in front of the vehicle, I can carry a vehicle of 155" in length, or two Smart cars loaded sideways..

This is just one of the many ways we HDT owners personalize and convert our vehicles. Visit the Escapees forum and check out the owners photo gallery in the HDT section. You'll be amazed at the variety!

plus Buddy & Lucy
RV Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2008, 08:09 AM   #2

GREAT job on the bed, I love the boxes, you did an outstanding job with them. 2 questions, do you run into problems in campgrounds with back ins(long truck and big turning radius)? and does the back of your bed scrape when going through low spots, appears that could be a concern. Again, great job. Gene

Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #3

Those are two interesting questions and until I actually get my truck back I can't answer either! Should rescue it sometime this next week.

plus Buddy & Lucy
Old 12-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #4

The link now includes photos of the finished toterhome. Photos include the Volvo loaded with our Tracker and M/S towed behind.

To answer Gene's question.. backing is as quick as with a travel trailer thanks to the 8' pin setback. Much easier than I expected. As for hitting bottom, I have only once did that and it was on purpose so I'd know what to watch out for!

Our rig might not be the perfect set up for some, but it's "just right" for us

Happy Trails;

plus Buddy & Lucy
Old 12-05-2008, 07:59 AM   #5

I like it. Is amazing how many different ideas people come up with.

2001 Volvo "Suite-T"
maltruck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Whoa! Just cruised through this post. Great job with the build. However, it looks like you need a bigger 5'er. Can ya get a 50 footer?
Old 03-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #7

Added Additions to my HDT

Been kind of quite over here on the HDT forum, so thought I would post a few pics of my latest Bling Bling upgrades on mine.
I made some more boxes (Curved to match back end) and added them to each side, along with some Harley saddle bags.
Always bothers me to look at that ugly hitch, so took an old Harley tour pac lid and added some diamond plate to make a cover for my hitch. It attaches with two hood tie downs and goes on/comes off in about 15 seconds.
Still need to switch the tie downs to chrome, and add some trim to it, but I am pleased with the results.
Nest step is to make a diamond plate cover for the two water tanks (those ugly black ones), then I will think of something else to add.
Love doing this stuff. I built my own bed on this Volvo, which I have been working on for about 1 1/2 years.
I really enjoy doing this stuff, but that diamond plate is getting expensive.........

First pic is what the back end looked like a few month or so back.
Next pics show the additional boxes and hitch covered.
Cheers,
Bob

Super 10
Hdonlybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #8

Bob,
For some reason instead of seeing your photos, I see a four boxes that say image was deleted or moved.

2001 Volvo "Suite-T"
Old 03-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdonlybob View Post
Been kind of quite over here on the HDT forum, so thought I would post a few pics of my latest Bling Bling upgrades on mine.
I made some more boxes (Curved to match back end) and added them to each side, along with some Harley saddle bags.
Always bothers me to look at that ugly hitch, so took an old Harley tour pac lid and added some diamond plate to make a cover for my hitch. It attaches with two hood tie downs and goes on/comes off in about 15 seconds.
Still need to switch the tie downs to chrome, and add some trim to it, but I am pleased with the results.
Nest step is to make a diamond plate cover for the two water tanks (those ugly black ones), then I will think of something else to add.
Love doing this stuff. I built my own bed on this Volvo, which I have been working on for about 1 1/2 years.
I really enjoy doing this stuff, but that diamond plate is getting expensive.........

First pic is what the back end looked like a few month or so back.
Next pics show the additional boxes and hitch covered.
Cheers,
Bob

For some reason pictures disappeared...........
So here they are again.
Cheers,
Bob

Super 10
Hdonlybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #10

That looks really sharp.

2001 Volvo "Suite-T"