Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

HDT vs MDT Conversion and Insurance

Hello,

ill be soon in the marked for a larger truck, if I pursue with the purchase of a large fifth wheel.
When i look at pricing for converted MDT’s i find that it might be way less expensive to convert an old HDT.
in particular i would look at either a older FL70 / FL60 as a MDT, or, which i prefer more, looking at a single axles Pete 359 as HDT hauler.
One of the biggest question i have ,would be as to what is required to tag a 359 as an RV and secondly, how high would a regular insurance be ? What company would you insure with ?

any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #2

Blue Sky is a popular choice. They know big rigs. I got the HDT. Have $35kish in it. Will be doing more, boxes for storage later. Don't believe one can get a MDT for what we get HDTs. No one can argue the safety aspect either. Not downing this forum but Escapees forum has a popular, active mdt and hdt sections.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:56 AM   #3

For a discussion on HDT Insurance.

Be advised than most Class 6 and 7 trucks (MDT) are used for local services and do not have things like air suspensions.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #4

dieselsub,

Before you buy ..first, decide what you want to do with it and how big (heavy) of a 5th that you want to use. There are pros and cons to owing either.

A MDT is class 4 to 6. HDT class 7 and 8.

The MDT has all the goodies that a HDT has but has the same footprint of a one ton dually ... and depending on engine.. up to 500 hp.. can pull a fair sized rig.

You can convert a HDT cheaper (maybe) but you are dealing with a lot more mileage..especially with the models you are talking about. I bought a FL60 sport chassis..I did not want a sleeper but 4 doors..(we have dogs and the 4 door is much brighter in the cab)... with only a 100K miles on it. Look at the horse boards..you will find many with less mileage.

If you buy a specific RV hauler, it is sometimes easier to change from commercial to camper designation depending on what state you live in...and miost of them have all the goodies on them to start with,,,

To sum up...it really depends on what you are hauling and really, you should be buying your 5th wheel first....which will really make you choice which avenue for you to pursue.

Good hunting..the search is part of the fun.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #5

An HDT can be converted short meaning the rear axle is moved to the forward position. At that size, you are the same as an MDT, maybe a foot longer than a dually crew cab with full bed.

As for miles, yes you will buy a used Class 8 at around 500,000-600,000 miles for a truck built for a 1,000,000 miles.

For more information on HDTs Heavy Hauler RV Resource Guide, the HDT Decision.

You also might check Why a Big Truck
Old 09-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

As for me I had a 2005 fl 106 300 hp c-7 cat and a eaton ultra shift trans with a mountain master bed and air ride hitch. I pulled a light 29 footer.

Now 2014 volvo 630 d-13 I shift with a herrin bed and e/t hitch pulling a 19000 # new horizons.

Obviously way more power but the ride is the big difference. With the fl the wife needed the seed belt just to stay in the seat. Would never go back. Fuel milage is 1 to 2 mpg better.

Good luck searching!
Old 09-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
but the ride is the big difference. With the fl the wife needed the seed belt just to stay in the seat.
Good luck searching!
Wow...something must have been wrong. DW doesn't even use the air in her seat...she likes it as low as possible..my truck is smooth....

Also check with your dw..mine will not ride in a class 8... and if you need the big power..go with a m2-112.. or like..

Here is a pic of when I first got my mtd..I think the class 8 is at least 12 inches wider...

Click image for larger version

Name:	12696905_10153820654120259_2426168321735924729_o.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	137980
Old 09-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Also check with your dw..mine will not ride in a class 8... and if you need the big power..go with a m2-112.. or like..
Sorry but HDT andd MDT are 96" wide, just like a dually pickup.

At HDT rallies we hear a lot of wives make the statement about size. That is until they get in and realize it isn't so big from the inside and the view is great.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #9

yes, my Freightliner is same width as my dually was in rear. Mine is longer but my choice. I tow a Smart on deck. Also got the large sleeper. A 40" sleeper singled short will be about what a cc lb dually is. Lot less money and super ride.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 09-05-2016, 06:49 AM   #10

thanks guys for all the feedback on here.

I believe my biggest issue will be the registration of an HDT in Florida.
It appear an MDT might be a little easier,as it is below 26000lbs..
But again, a HDT would be more along the lines of what i would want.. :-)
guess i got to have a talk one day, with the local DMV and see, if i find some loopholes ..
Old 09-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #11

Forget Florida. Not doable. You can have the HDT registered as a motorhome but not with a hitch. They just won't do it. This has been tried over and over. Get an Escapees address and register in TX. You going to be traveling anyway. As long as you are out of Texas you can renew thru mail or on line and get inspected whenever you get back in Texas. Thousands do it, legally.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:45 AM   #12

Thank you for that info.
since I’m not retired and won’t be for a while, registering the vehicle out of state is not really an option, as my permanent address is here in florida due to work.
So HDT might be out of question for a while...
That leaves me into looking at MDT Trucks... and i did see some nice convertedccrew cabs, i.e. peterbilt 330 , or the freight liner fl60. I believe 26000lbs is the limit in florida for a private vehicle... any input on that ?

thanks
Old 09-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #13

dieselsub

If you are stuck on a mdt check out horsetrailerworld and take your time. Something will show but a lot are over priced.

Good luck

Dan
Old 09-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #14

Thanks Dan,

right now i just try to find out the drivers license and regulations issue

Tags
insurance