Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #1

Long wheel base hdt

Looking at a 340 inch wheel base peterbilt to tow a 43 foot fifth wheel. Any thoughts on this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wholly smack...my Class A has a 242" wheelbase (37.3' LOA). 340" is a long truck. What is planned for the middle 20ish feet of chassis?

-subscribed- Want to see what the experts say.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

A legacy sleeper and a drone box. To have the best of both worlds.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #4

Good luck with camping at the rest areas. I had a Pete 387 conversion coach with a 356" wheelbase,...and it was 41' long. By the time you finish that, you'll be looking at around 85'.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

I figured around 75 feet
Old 12-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #6

I guess, the question that I have is, what's your main plan for the whole rig. My TC that I had was 41' and I had a 31' stacker to haul toys to the dunes, or to and from Texas, from Phoenix. 95% of our use was dry camping. So total length wasn't a major factor. Whenever we were staying at a campground, we didn't have to worry about the TC, because it was no different than a Class A. If you're looking to stay at campgrounds with the whole rig,...the wheelbase on both your TC and 5th wheel is what's gonna be the limiting factor. I'm pretty sure you've already thought about that. If you're ever passing through Phoenix and need somewhere to stop, you're more than welcome. I got enough room to park 5 rigs just in my driveway alone. Whatever you do, keep us informed,...I'd like to know how it all works out for you.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #7

We've been nailed to our farm for what seems to be a lifetime so boon docking looks really good for us. With this type of rig we figure we can park the fifth wheel and use the truck for short trips into length restricted parks. Its just an idea we have. Thought we would toss it around on line and see if its doable .Thanks for the invite we have a lot of relation in Arizona when they get sick of us lol. we'll give you a shout