Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ready to buy a HDT.

After today's pavement ripping 12 mph up a 12% grade with our 2008 F-450 pulling a 41' 18500 pound toy hauler, I've absolutely made the decision to buy a HDT at the end of our trip early September. I have been reading the posts and scouring Truck Trader and e-bay, looking for the perfect truck. What I'm seeing is very little in the $30,000 range with less than 650,000 to 800,000 miles. At what point is the mileage too much? I don't mind spending say, $25,000 and putting another five to seven grand making it right, but I don't know enough about class eight tractors to make an educated decision. We've picked the Volvo, preferably an '05 or up. Any thoughts on how to keep from getting screwed would really help. If I sell my pristine F-450 and buy a tractor that either costs a fortune to keep running or is unreliable, my wife will kill me in my sleep.
rick.rutel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Try posting on escapees.com, there's a bunch of guys over there running converted HDTs. Lots of help too.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #3

Did you look on truckertotrucker.com yet? It gives you trucks for sale by states. I think most guys try to get a truck with less than 500K miles on it.
http://www.truckertotrucker.com/listings/61226.cfm
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #4

Mississippi has some deals going on!

http://www.truckertotrucker.com/search_results.cfm
tas_todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How often do you have to pull a 12% grade? Having work done on those trucks is not cheap.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info folks. We decided to go the HDT route for a few reasons. Much of our travel is in areas with 8 to 12 percent grades heading to and from our National Parks. While the F-450 is perfect on a straight road, up steep hills, it simply is way under powered. The other reason and to me the most compelling reason to go the HDT route was that while on one of our up and down the mountain trips. One of the wires leading to the electric brakes broke and we wound up with minimal braking. An HDT with air brakes would have handled the incident easily, while we were white knuckle until we got off the mountain and fixed it.
rick.rutel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:03 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
rick, there won't be any "white knuckle" moments with an HDT in fact the truck won't know the trailer's there. One important thing with an HDT is an air hitch, after all they are built for much more then the 18500 your trailer weighs and will do a job on the frame of the trailer with out an air hitch. I also suggest looking for something with air suspension for your comfort, a spring suspension will beat you and your family to death. Volvos seem to be very popular trucks to convert because of the ride, interior room, and wheel cut (they turn shorter then your F450) . As I have said check out Escapees RV Club – the club for all RVers their are many over there doing what you want to do and they're more than willing to help in any way they can (including helping to find a truck)..... Being a retired OTR driver, I'm a little bias toward HDTs.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #8

I applaud your decision to go the hdt route. You might want to consider coming to the www.hdtrally.com in Kansas. I went last year and met a ton of great hdt folks. They have several seminars geared toward people wanting to learn more about what you're planning to do. blackf350 is right, you'll not have any issues with an hdt handling your trailer weight. Last year I met a guy that pulled a rather light 5th wheel with a F450. He was at the hdt rally. He said he had his F450 hopped up and it still wasn't up to the task. He lives around Denver. He came to the rally to learn and shortly afterward bought a '99 Volvo 770. He said it's cost him less than his F450 and is MUCH more capable and comfortable.

As far as maintenance costs are concerned they aren't that bad. The truck shops I've used are very reasonable I think. Sure, if you have a major component failure it might cost more than an F450. But the likelihood of something like that happening is much less I'd think.

Hope to see you in Kansas. They are very welcoming to everybody.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #9

Rick,

Have a look at my website with regards to converting HDT. HDT RV CONVERSION
reneritter is offline   Reply With Quote