Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #1

Replacing my 22.5 tires

Your advice was spot on last time so I seek it again.

My TV weights:

Front axle - 6K
Rear axle (dually) - 7900K
Total - - 13.9K

Presently, I am now running the following for tires:

Tires Front - Goodyear G149 - 245/75R 22.5 - inflated to 80 psi
Tires Rear - Goodyear G159 retreds - 245/75R 22.5 - inflated to 80 psi.

Pin weight is @ 2K.. I have a McCall 5th hitch. Rear suspension air / springs. Air ride cab and seats.

My tires were at @ 50% last year. Never had been balanced. I balanced the steer tires and we put 6K miles on it.

We are looking to put somewhere around 8k miles on it this season.

Questions:

I still have a shake from the rear.. and just a bit from the front. I am guessing that since the tires were run to 50% without the aid of balancing ( I once bought a set of retreds when I was a poor student and we could never get them to balance properly) and the rears are retreds, I believe I am dealing with misshaped tires. I know a lot of semi drivers around here don't like to balance but..

How low do you normally allow the tread to go before replacement ? Unfortunately I do not know their age and my rig is in storage offsite. I understand that 7 years should be the max I keep them on..

I am also looking at replacing the existing model with the Goodyear G670RV. Apparently, the “ G670RV is designed to be durable and to run cooler and ride smoother than most truck tires" My TV is a lot lighter than your average MH. I have done some searching on the internet and don't see a difference in tread between the front and back..is this normal ?

With so many companies sub contracting to China (including Moog) , how do I make sure I am not getting a set from there.. or are the 22.5s from there OK ?

Should I be looking in a different direction ?

Thanks
Grassy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 05:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Your advice was spot on last time so I seek it again.

My TV weights:

Front axle - 6K
Rear axle (dually) - 7900K
Total - - 13.9K

Presently, I am now running the following for tires:

Tires Front - Goodyear G149 - 245/75R 22.5 - inflated to 80 psi
Tires Rear - Goodyear G159 retreds - 245/75R 22.5 - inflated to 80 psi.

Pin weight is @ 2K.. I have a McCall 5th hitch. Rear suspension air / springs. Air ride cab and seats.

My tires were at @ 50% last year. Never had been balanced. I balanced the steer tires and we put 6K miles on it.

We are looking to put somewhere around 8k miles on it this season.

Questions:

I still have a shake from the rear.. and just a bit from the front. I am guessing that since the tires were run to 50% without the aid of balancing ( I once bought a set of retreds when I was a poor student and we could never get them to balance properly) and the rears are retreds, I believe I am dealing with misshaped tires. I know a lot of semi drivers around here don't like to balance but..

How low do you normally allow the tread to go before replacement ? Unfortunately I do not know their age and my rig is in storage offsite. I understand that 7 years should be the max I keep them on..

I am also looking at replacing the existing model with the Goodyear G670RV. Apparently, the “ G670RV is designed to be durable and to run cooler and ride smoother than most truck tires" My TV is a lot lighter than your average MH. I have done some searching on the internet and don't see a difference in tread between the front and back..is this normal ?

With so many companies sub contracting to China (including Moog) , how do I make sure I am not getting a set from there.. or are the 22.5s from there OK ?

Should I be looking in a different direction ?

Thanks
Grassy
Have you looked at Toyo? No China involved. I'll be doing my rears this year with M154's.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:08 AM   #3

No I haven't but I shall. I really have zero experience with the 22.5 inch tire. Thank-you.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:02 AM   #4

tires

Local tire dealer puts a lot of tires on MH. He suggested Hercules. They were half the price of most name brands. Said he hasn't had a problem with them for years. We bought a complete set and 10,000 miles later they are great. Wear fine and very smooth.

safe travels
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #5

We put Hercules on the drives and Toyo on the front for steers. Ride is smooth. We had the tires spin balanced at a Loves truck stop tire place, and have Centramatic wheel balanced. Ride is smooth vibration free.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #6

Nearest Hercules dealer is about 1.5 hours drive and doesn't carry the 22.5 tires..next is a 4 hour run (one way).

Are they really that good ?

I am thinking I will have to just start driving around and dropping into the tire shops to see if that actually carry the 22.5 tires. I can have them put on at my local truck repair shop..

I am planning to step outside my comfort zone and try dyna beads.

Tags
tires