Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #15
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by MooseHaven View Post
Check forum out lots of good info.
HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum

Yep, MooseHaven has good advice. Check out the HDT section, there are more people pulling with a converted road tractor then you can imagine.

92' Holiday Rambler 1000
The wife, me and two furry kids
If you have it, a truck brought it.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #16
C:\Users\ANNIES LAPTOP\Pictures\Bryce Canyon Utah\DSCF7526.JPG

tworootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #17
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by volvo1026 View Post
Hey everyone i am a owner operator tuck driver, with a 2009 volvo 670 with a sleeper.(a regular semi truck). I am thinking about getting out of the trucking business for a while and use the truck as a RV. I was wondering if i just put "NOT FOR HIRE" or "RV" on the side? Do i stop at scales since i would be an "RV"? Also would i need to keep my CDL? Thanks

THe following Ohio information is and example:
I converted a F700 to a RV here in Ohio. Quite simple really. Nothing (except the fifth wheel (this is and ohio rule) needs removed if you don't want to.
however there are some thing that need to be added.
If you are in ohio 2 BMV forms (#3804 &#5712) must be filled out before
You have the body type on the title changed and you go get your $49.50 lic plates.

I personally think "Not for hire" is a magnet for the DOT officers.
I do not stop at weigh stations. Some state require a different class of lic for air brakes I am told.
The C in CDL is commerical. Keep the commerical out your RV and your won't need your CDL.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This one I have researched: You will need to contact your Department of Motor Vehicles, You may need to do a "Class Change" on your vehicle registration/title (Tractor).

Now,, the easiest way to do this may be to remove your wife's name from the title, then sell the ride to her for a dollar.. But you will need professional help to figure that out.

And though I am, professional help on this question,, Not that part of it.

One thing though.....

Imagine the looks on the faces of those other campers when you back that 5th wheel of yours in to a far too small site like it was 3 times wider than it is, Not even thinking about scratching the paint, on your first try.. Kind of like you did it every day for how many years?

Oh, one other thing.

My brother tells me that for you backing a 5-er into a site will be easier than backing a class A... For me, about the same (But I did not drive semi truck for like 30-40 years, He did)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #19
I used to use my KW W900 on the weekends during the summer. Got some looks and made sure to park away from everyone so I could run the engine for ac and power. Beat the hell out of a tent!
Okietrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #20
The escapees forum is likely to be your best resource. There are a ton of people who have converted to the dark side . As to the why would you want to do that question... Nothing pulls a big 5ver safer than a big truck. Plenty of brakes to stop and plenty of power to go. A used tractor with plenty of life left is much cheaper than a pickup. You can climb into the tractor and drive for days without any discomfort. Fuel mileage is about the same but I only have to get fuel every 1400 miles or so. I can haul my toad piggyback. I don't have to worry about overloading my tractor. My tires are good for about 300K miles. My wife can microwave a snack without stopping. She can take a nap in complete comfort while I drive. She can watch TV,go pee, stand and stretch and generally just be comfortable while we cruise the highways. Other than that I can't really think of a reason.
Lostsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #21
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
There is a company in Canada that converts off-lease OTR tractors into RVs. One thing they do is remove one of the drive axles. I seem to remember that was key to being able to drive them without a CDL. There is a link on this forum somewhere. Was about a year ago.

I do not know about that, But I do know the O/P won't have a problem with the CDL.. He has one after all, Needs it to drive the truck now.

The company is TRAIL-HAULER.COM by the way
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #22
Originally Posted by volvo1026

Because, i am always having to go go go and making runs. And i want to slow down and enjoy things.
Thumbs up!

Martino78 is offline   Reply With Quote