Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #15

I was unclear when I ready your original post. Are you looking to make a toter for your 5th wheel or creating a toterhome with a living quarters. Check out the motorhome/garage we did onto a Volvo 610. 12 feet of living space and room for Motorcycles or a Smart Car in the garage.

I posted over at Escapees that ToolSet is going out of business but only as fabricators. My suppliers (welders and fabricators) became too unreliable (quality) and clients were less happy than is acceptable to me.

I'm an architect and good design is very important to me so I'm continuing my business as a designer of toterhomes and motorhomes with the idea that clients could take a complete set of drawings and specs to a builder and get exactly what they want.

In addition I'm always happy to draw from my limited knowlege base and share with others.

Good luck and call if you have any questions.

Tony Desnick

www.toolsetmotorhomes.com

ToolSet Motorhomes
anthony desnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #16

David, I've seen your pictures and been looking on the other sites. I am going to be in Kansas that week as it happens visiting my son. I think we'll swing by one afternoon / evening and look forard to weeing the hdt's and their owners. Should be enlightening in making a decision on the tow vehicle for our next 5th wheel. I'd like to talk to you too about doing a modification. We're not in a real hurry either.
rswilkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Bob,
They also offer the 385 Pete conversion with the 440hp Cat C-13 engine -- when you order yours, ask them to reserve one for us?
Old 09-01-2007, 02:53 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by themisfitking:
Rusty, you could have a talk with Herrin Welding Service in Kilgore Texas. Larry Herrin built my body and mounted my hitch and brake controller. Charlie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a very nice looking box. I'm looking to build one of these. What range of prices does a custom truck box and storage rack run?
rswilkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #19

No problem, look forward to seeing you at the rally. Just drop me an email when you get into town.

David
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #20
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChiefJohn:
Bob,
They also offer the 385 Pete conversion with the 440hp Cat C-13 engine -- when you order yours, ask them to reserve one for us? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it's a 445HP/1650FP C12....THAT'S the one I like...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rusty, you could have a talk with Herrin Welding Service in Kilgore Texas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is who made the bed on "Lil Red". The truck in my avitar and in the picture in the link in my sig.

I'm happy with that one.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Hey Rusty, you could always get the nice folks at Lone Star Haulers to make ya one of these...

335 Pete decked out....not enough motor for me though...would have to upgrade.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I visited them a few years ago. They do some FINE work. Dad and I spent half a day looking around the shop and talking with the guys doing the work. They take a lot of pride in the work they do!

I had put a link to them on the old links page back then.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:35 AM   #23
Administrator Emeritus

That's REALLY GOOD to know Don...I've gotta little sumthin I've been thinkin' about doin' and Warpath knew about their site and sent me there....Stay tuned!

Might be SIRprized next time ya see me!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #24

Rusty,

We toured the Showhauler factory in Elkhart last month. They do the kind of conversion I think you are asking about, including conversion of a truck that you provide. We talked with one of their customers who had brought his truck in for replacing the 5th wheel hitch on it with and air-ride hitch. That one had a fairly large "garage" behind the cab.

The way they talked, I think they probably would custom build the kind of thing you mention. They work with Freightliner Columbia and Volvo trucks. Not sure about others.

I'm assuming you are wanting to tow a 5th wheel, not convert truck to a motorhome. They do that too, of course. Their dealers also assist customers with finding a suitable used truck for conversion.
RobCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:07 AM   #25

For anyone who may still be following this discussion. I just found an interesting web site by a couple who have done the heavy truck conversion to RV tow vehicle. They mention a person who works the conversions, so Rusty, this might be of interest to you.

These folks seem to thing the class 8 truck is just about the ideal tow vehicle. I could get convinced too.

http://jmayer6.tripod.com/

This site also has a link to a site by Larry Ziegler, who converted their truck, and sells these conversions, as well as instructions on how to do it yourself.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
I would characterize Ziegler's information as more of a "how to select" an HDT, rather than "how to do it yourself".
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:01 AM   #27

Rusty, Did you get a chance to read Jack Mayer's web site about converted HDTs?

This page http://jmayer6.tripod.com/id15.html has a huge amount of detailed information on choosing and modifying a class 8 tractor. He writes about things I've never even heard of. Would have to do some research to be able to understand what the issues are.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by acampingwewillgo View Post
Just thought Id tag on to this topic. Since first learning about the advantages and benefits of a Class 8 tow vehicle...Ive had a keen interest. Im curious as to whether purchasing a plain day cab Chassis and having a sleeper/ living area constructed, a bed constructed and what have you....Ive seen over on Racing Junk.Com Ad's for FL chassis for 80K with a 332" wheelbase. Sure sounds like plenty of room to add your sleeper/MH conversion and still have bed space left for a motorcycle or other vehicle plus your 5th wheel hitch. Its good that I have a couple of years left to sort out all this...LoL
Interesting post Acampingwewillgo. I'm guessing you are no longer interested in any truck chassis based camper after all the attacking you did to me on rv.net, because I suggested adding a truck conversion section to those forums.
Bob86ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote