Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

Towing with a Semi

I plan to tow my 5th wheel with my Peterbilt. I have read that it is a good idea to run some sort of air ride hitch on the trailer. I cant change the truck side because it still has to pull normal trailers for work.

What does everyone recommend for an air ride hitch for a set up like this?

Thanks in advance!
broth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #2

Arrow Wish I knew.

I know they exist, but I have never had to use one. Someone should be able to help you.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
broth,
If the truck has air ride, I don't believe that you have to have the air pin box, nice to have but not necessary. I would check the clearance of the frame of the truck and the front of the trailer, You might have to slide the fifth wheel all the way back to get enough turning clearance.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth View Post
I plan to tow my 5th wheel with my Peterbilt. I have read that it is a good idea to run some sort of air ride hitch on the trailer. I cant change the truck side because it still has to pull normal trailers for work.

What does everyone recommend for an air ride hitch for a set up like this?

Thanks in advance!
Are you concerned the truck suspension is too stiff for a good ride on the trailer? I can understand that it would be. If you are looking for an air ride pin box they sell them at most trailer parts store, I was looking at them on etrailer.com, but never bit the bullet.
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #5

There are a number of air ride pin boxes.
Basically you need to know what style pin box mount you have right now, then get the same style to fit in there.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #7

Many of us who use big trucks as our tow vehicle use this hitch, a fully articulated air hitch, vs the 2 dimensional articulated commercial hitch.

http://trailersaverhitch.com/TSLB2H.html

Regards
Gemstone
Old 06-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth View Post
I cant change the truck side because it still has to pull normal trailers for work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstone View Post
Many of us who use big trucks as our tow vehicle use this hitch, a fully articulated air hitch, vs the 2 dimensional articulated commercial hitch.

TSLB2H - Trailersaver 5th wheel hitches

Regards
Gemstone
That would cause an issue, wouldn't it?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
That would cause an issue, wouldn't it?
Guess I was politely saying that a 2 way articulating commercial hitch is not considered adequate for RV's....

Regards
Gemstone
Old 06-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #10

When we had our HDT I had a Trailair pinbox installed on the 5er. This did seem to help protect the 5er from the stiff suspension on the HDT. We had a 18k Reese hitch on the truck.
I am assuming you are still running the truck commercially and wanting to do "double duty" with it. I remember seeing a photo of a truck where the owner was doing the same thing. He mounted a regular 5er hitch on the frame rails behind the existing hitch plate. When he was towing his RV he would slide the commercial plate full forward and use the Reese (or similiar) hitch. He would then remove the RV hitch from the rails and could use the commercial hitch again.
There have been several who tow RV's with the commercial hitch, most do not but then again most are not still using the truck to make a living. I would want some type of air pin box if I went this route and the Trailair or the 5th Airborne boxes would both be good candidates.

Phil

ps: lot of good info here for towing with an HDT http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=32
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'd like to do one run to make sure I am going to continue to pull with the semi before I spend the money on an air box and yeah I'd have to do it on the trailer side can't swap the truck side as its main purpose it to pull a lowbed. Sounds like I will be alright for this one trip but long term I should consider some type of air box

One more question for those who use a regular semi hitch is there any special adapter that I need to use as some have said the hitch is slightly different and has a gab as the semi hitch has a recessed section?
broth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #12

I believe the hitch plate mechanisms are the same....just be careful not to slam into the pin like may be used to doing on your LowBoy when you hitch up...one advantage of the RV air hitch...it doesn't seem to take much to trip it to the locked position. Something my driver brother could not grasp....he was always telling me to slam it home...

Regards
Gemstone
Old 06-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #13

I think as Bro. Phil mentioned, even air ride on a 40k. rear end is pretty harsh on a 5'er.

I'd highly recommend an air pin box, worst thing can happen is it rides really nice on a p/u later.

If you've ever seen the way the build RV's you'd not even consider hauling them with a standard OTR truck.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #14

There are some folks that have towed with the standard Holland hitch but as mentioned its a harsh ride due to no real pin wt with a Rv for the 40K rears. Even on a single 20K. An air ride pin will help and is a minimum fix.

Also mentioned the Holland plate has no side to side movement. This is a real issue for the RVs frame. The truck has no flex and all the forces will transfer into the trailer.

If you can, add an RV style hitch behind the regular plate that can be un-pinned when not in use and removed. Run the air ride pin and you will be good.

Or forget the pin box and go to the Air ride hitch. They are larger and heavier and may not be feasible to remove and instal.

Bill
billrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing