Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
One big hole I see is in your wallet if you buy the Centramatics from that dealer. I have a tag axle coach so I needed 6 Centramatic balancers and all total I paid under $700 for them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post

Dyna Beads can be used for 2 sets of tires.

For the large tires, no special valve cores required if you are running a TMPS. I suspect that is because the beads are ceramic.

So are there any holes in this?
Even though the Dyna Bead site FAQ's states that the beads can only be used for two sets of tires due to possible moisture concerns, frankly I believe that they can be used for longer as the beads do not deteriorate or wear away to dust. If anything there may be some dust inside the tire from the tire itself not the beads. Keep the moisture away from the inside of the tire and the beads with continue to work fine.

I use a Black & Decker hand vacuum that sucks the beads up from the old tire. Then I dump them into the new tire. I have done that a few times already on my trailer tires.

All of the beads that Innovative Balancing sells are ceramic. The reason that you do not need any special valve cores for the RV beads is that they are larger than the normal beads they sell for other applications. They are too large to get caught up into the valve stem.

Whether you are running a TPMS or not it's the size of the beads used in the tire that determines whether you need special valve cores or not.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:29 AM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
$1192.60 for Centramatics????

I have bought Centramatics for two different rigs, including my current Holiday Rambler.... I paid less than $400.00 for the front and rear sets. Had them put on when I bought the new tires so there was no additional charge for installation.

I don't know who quoted you the almost $1200. For them but sounds like they are trying to rip you off.... Shop around on line. I think I even got free shipping when I bought mine.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:56 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I would check at your local Speedco if you have one near you. They carry and install Centramantics.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:46 AM   #19

I was surprised as well. I live in Canada so prices tend to be higher but that should effect the bead price as well...at least proportionally.

I talked to Centramantics and they gave me the list of their authorized dealers here.. They are Ft. Garry Industries, Freightliner, Peterbuilt and Kenworth. So the quote is from the Peterbuilt dealership. They do not sell tires.

When I got the quote, I *was* surprised..

Old 03-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #20

Grassy,

$1192.60 for Centramatics sounds like they were quoting you a pair price as an each price. Centramatic balances sell for about $200 a pair (or axle if you will). So the price should have been roughly half of what was quoted.

I purchased a set (2 pair) about three weeks ago. Total out the door price... $439.88. Of course that included Texas state sales tax.

I went directly to Centramatic in Alverado, TX. If you purchase the balancers, they install for free. Glad I did too. Turned out the stud holes on the balancers were slightly to small. The installer picked up the phone. Minutes later a man came from somewhere in the back of the building. He disappeared with my balancers, and when he returned they fit.

Did they work? ... Yes!

I had been bothered by what I'd describe as a tire bobble at certain speeds. The Centramatics fixed the bobbling, but they also established an over all feel of smoothness. This was something I'd not anticipated. I suppose the mild vibration was just so low, I'd just come to accept it. I didn't really even notice it until it was removed. Well worth the $439.88.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #21

Unfortunately, no. One set for the front, one for the rear. Plus installation. I have the quote form. We pay 15% tax. I personally think that price is nutz.

At $439.88, they are still far for expensive for something that does the same thing...
Old 03-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Centramatics vs Dyna Beads 22.5 inch tire

Well this has been an interesting journey. Opinions seem to stretch the full spectrum on dyna beads, centramatics and a third popular brand which I am not going to talk about.

It find it interesting that there is tons of anecdotal evidence out there for both systems however no group has actually done a proper comparison test...no truck nor RV magazine.. especially interesting when they seem to test everything..

I have been visiting various forums reading about both and this is what I have found:

. some think you shouldn't balance your tires and the above is just a placebo;
. spin balancing is all you need..
. centramatics are so good that they can actually fix badly cupped tires;
. the beads are better to normal roads but the centramatics are better for very hard twisties;
. never use golf balls, steel ball bearings , powder, liquid, or sand (condensation really messes this system up);
. DynaBeads have the advantage over the Centramatic rings. The tiny ceramic beads do their magic (assuming the underlying principle is valid) in the outermost orbit of the tire, where as the Centramatic product is well to the inside of the potentially out of balance rotating mass especially on duallies;
. Dyna Beads can be used for 2 sets of tires. For the large tires, no special valve cores required if you are running a TMPS. I suspect that is because the beads are ceramic.
For the centramatics, make sure your wheel studs are long enough. I guess this is pertainable to aluminum wheels on the outside rear. Lifetime warranty.

As far as I can tell, both (all three) do the same thing so it is a 6 of one, a half dozen of the other...

So, if you assume 5 to 7 years for a set of tires (in the rv world), you can get 10-14 years out of the beads.. Lifetime for Centramatics.

My costs for 6 tires (yours may differ..)

Cost - bought and installed

Dyna Beads - $ 252.23 installed in all 6 tires.
Centramatics - $ 1192.60 (Centramatics dealer)

So are there any holes in this ?

The only hole that I see in your observation is the cost, It is about $200 per an axle for centramatics if you have them installed with new tires, just order them from the company not the dealer (middle man). Also you can take them with you to a new coach if you choose and depending if it is the same bolt pattern, or sell them second hand.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #23

The funny thing is that I would have to pay more to buy direct because they are an American company ..so all $s would be in USD..should have thought about this a year or 2 ago
Old 03-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Centramatics vs Dyna Beads 22.5 inch tire

Well this has been an interesting journey. Opinions seem to stretch the full spectrum on dyna beads, centramatics and a third popular brand which I am not going to talk about.

It find it interesting that there is tons of anecdotal evidence out there for both systems however no group has actually done a proper comparison test...no truck nor RV magazine.. especially interesting when they seem to test everything..

I have been visiting various forums reading about both and this is what I have found:

. some think you shouldn't balance your tires and the above is just a placebo;
. spin balancing is all you need..
. centramatics are so good that they can actually fix badly cupped tires;
. the beads are better to normal roads but the centramatics are better for very hard twisties;
. never use golf balls, steel ball bearings , powder, liquid, or sand (condensation really messes this system up);
. DynaBeads have the advantage over the Centramatic rings. The tiny ceramic beads do their magic (assuming the underlying principle is valid) in the outermost orbit of the tire, where as the Centramatic product is well to the inside of the potentially out of balance rotating mass especially on duallies;
. Dyna Beads can be used for 2 sets of tires. For the large tires, no special valve cores required if you are running a TMPS. I suspect that is because the beads are ceramic.
For the centramatics, make sure your wheel studs are long enough. I guess this is pertainable to aluminum wheels on the outside rear. Lifetime warranty.

As far as I can tell, both (all three) do the same thing so it is a 6 of one, a half dozen of the other...

So, if you assume 5 to 7 years for a set of tires (in the rv world), you can get 10-14 years out of the beads.. Lifetime for Centramatics.

My costs for 6 tires (yours may differ..)

Cost - bought and installed

Dyna Beads - $ 252.23 installed in all 6 tires.
Centramatics - $ 1192.60 (Centramatics dealer)

So are there any holes in this ?
Spin and beed balancing dynamically balance the wheel. More so with spin.

Centramatics don't.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #25

I had all six of my new tires spin balanced about 40,000 miles ago on my 379 Pete conversion. Used standard stick on wheel weights for the balancing. All has been normal so far. Also had an alignment done. No vibration or out-of-round bounce that I can detect at cruising speed.
speedhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #26

Well I went with the dyna beads. Easy to install ..cheaper than dynamic balancing here.. and seem to be pretty good but I haven't had time to go for a long haul yet..

Thanks for the responses.