Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #1

Types of balancing

Anyone use Centramatic Balancers vs dyna beads.

Centramatic states that their unit balances both the tire and the sub assemble but as far as I can tell, the beads would have to as well.

Thoughts ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
They do the same thing by a slightly different method.

As an Ex tire guy I prefer Centramatic, as I am not left trying to scoop up a bunch of pellets out of a tire.

Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #3

So I guess it comes down to cost and the PITA of moving the ceramic beads over to another tire

Thanks !
Old 02-29-2016, 06:33 PM   #4

Usually the beads are not reused. I've used both. If using beads and you want to use a tire pressure monitor, you will need stems that have a screen in them.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I just had new tires put on and they suggested the beads. They did put in special valve stems also. Originally, my tires were spun balanced from the factory so I was a little bit reluctant but I really don't care if they use frozen turkeys to balance the tires as long as there is no vibration. I put on about 60 miles and everything felt fine.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #6

Apparently, dyna beads can be used once since they are ceramic.

Yes, aftermarket TMPS will require a filtered valve stem. Once I go with a TMPS, I will have to do something that will work around my duallys.

I think the kicker for me is the *major* price difference..
Old 02-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #7

I've got 11R22.5 tires on Alcoa's. I've had Dynabeads with a Pressure Pro tpms for many thousands of miles. I didn't put special valve stems in. No problems.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Apparently, dyna beads can be used once since they are ceramic.

Yes, aftermarket TMPS will require a filtered valve stem. Once I go with a TMPS, I will have to do something that will work around my duallys.

I think the kicker for me is the *major* price difference..
I should have said more than once..

Thanks Bob..was wondering where you would find a filtered valve stem.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have had Dyna Beads in all six coach tires and four trailer tires for the past 6 years. There is ONLY one official supplier of Dyna Beads, Innovative Balancing in Rochester NY. All of the others are knock-offs.

In fact some people buy BB's and throw into the tires or for that matter any kind of round type ball material but the ceramic beads are the only ones that I will ever use as they will not deteriorate the inside of the tire.

Purchase the RV ceramic beads which are larger in size and you won't need any special valve core stems. I also run the Tire SafeGuard TPMS without any difficulties. Don't believe everything that you read!

Plus they are reusable from old tires to new tires. Some shops have a method of transferring them while others do not. I have transferred the beads from my four trailer tires to new tires just recently using a handheld Black&Decker vacuum. BTW, the beads used in the trailer tires are smaller in size so I use the special valve cores for those.

The Centramatics are great devices and some Monaco owners who I know that have them love the way they work.

It all comes down to personal choice.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My vote is for Centramatics, had them put on about 6-months ago and man what a difference it made. That's my 2-cents worth.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
My vote is for Centramatics, had them put on about 6-months ago and man what a difference it made. That's my 2-cents worth.

Did you have dyna beads before ? What is the difference between the two ?
Old 03-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Did you have dyna beads before ? What is the difference between the two ?
Just had regular weights and spin balance on the fronts, not sure on the rear. Centramatics are put behind your current wheels. You unbolt and remove your wheel and these slip on over the studs and then you reattach your wheel. Can be used over and over again. Dyna beads are like bb's and they dump them in the tire when they are mounting it on the rim. Similar in balancing properties I prefer the Centramatics.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #13

*'*713-792-6136
Old 03-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #14

Centramatics vs Dyna Beads 22.5 inch tire

Well this has been an interesting journey. Opinions seem to stretch the full spectrum on dyna beads, centramatics and a third popular brand which I am not going to talk about.

It find it interesting that there is tons of anecdotal evidence out there for both systems however no group has actually done a proper comparison test...no truck nor RV magazine.. especially interesting when they seem to test everything..

I have been visiting various forums reading about both and this is what I have found:

. some think you shouldn't balance your tires and the above is just a placebo;
. spin balancing is all you need..
. centramatics are so good that they can actually fix badly cupped tires;
. the beads are better to normal roads but the centramatics are better for very hard twisties;
. never use golf balls, steel ball bearings , powder, liquid, or sand (condensation really messes this system up);
. DynaBeads have the advantage over the Centramatic rings. The tiny ceramic beads do their magic (assuming the underlying principle is valid) in the outermost orbit of the tire, where as the Centramatic product is well to the inside of the potentially out of balance rotating mass especially on duallies;
. Dyna Beads can be used for 2 sets of tires. For the large tires, no special valve cores required if you are running a TMPS. I suspect that is because the beads are ceramic.
For the centramatics, make sure your wheel studs are long enough. I guess this is pertainable to aluminum wheels on the outside rear. Lifetime warranty.

As far as I can tell, both (all three) do the same thing so it is a 6 of one, a half dozen of the other...

So, if you assume 5 to 7 years for a set of tires (in the rv world), you can get 10-14 years out of the beads.. Lifetime for Centramatics.

My costs for 6 tires (yours may differ..)

Cost - bought and installed

Dyna Beads - $ 252.23 installed in all 6 tires.
Centramatics - $ 1192.60 (Centramatics dealer)

So are there any holes in this ?