Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #15

Russ, we used Scorpion products on Jeff's deck. Bedliner - Bed Liners - Scorpion Coatings
I did quite a bit of research on the available systems from "pro" to DIY and we settled on their product. They have a DIY kit but we went with their "pro" version and would venture an "opinion" that their system is most user friendly and cost effective. They sold it to us supposedly as "applicators" and asked us if we would do pickup beds, which we said we would not, but there wasn't any kind of franchise or royalty cost (gimmick), we bought their product at wholesale and the tools at cost.
They have a very good video on application and good knowledge of "gotch-us" and we learned how to do this ourselves.

They have major distributors and ours is in Rhode Island. The total cost was around $700 of which $550 was for product and rest for tools. Tools included the gun for about $100 and surface prep scuffing wheels etc. The $550 bought a 5 gallon commercial kit. We couldn't get a straight answer for how far it would go, because all these companies think in terms "how many pickup beds it will do", pretty useless information on a bed like Jeff's. On Jeff's we sprayed the deck and all four tool box surfaces facing the tires (pretty sizable area). What I can tell you that the $550 kit could easily do two trucks like Jeff's, we have half of it left (for "something else").
The kit is four part and you have to measure the quantities pretty accurately in graduated containers then spin it with a drill to mix it. Working time is reasonable and you can pull the edging tape in about 2 hours, nothing fancy there we used paper masking tape. Pros use this fancy stuff with a cut-off wire, but that's for very heavy (thick) application. By the way you can layer this stuff as thick as you want and you can lay it on cured old stuff too, it will stick. We thought what we layered on Jeff's was sufficient, we did a little extra in the Smart area.
Time wise, it takes hardly any time, that gun goes through material like the proverbial stuff going through a goose. I'd say total "spraying time" of the deck was less than 5 minutes, mixing batches of it took lot longer. Of course masking the truck and the shop took half a day, you have to do this, the stuff flies quite a distance.
We did Rhino another truck (per customer's insistence) and I know that the cost of doing a truck like this by a "franchised shop" would be twice what we spent (if not more).
That might not be a fair comparison because I'm not counting our labor for doing the job, only material and tools and it was done in our garage and not in a shop with "real overhead".

Now you have more "material" for the next session with the guys at the Rally.

hjs

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #16

Henry,

How's the move in going - I know it's not until later, but I'm sure there are details you're up to your eyeballs solving? I'm sure you have moved before, but I did about 15-16 times in my life. Now that we have been in one place for 22 years I'm looking forward to moving into the fiver and carrying our castle on wheels. Of course now we have 22 years of junk to get rid of.

The various posts about titling in FL didn't surprise me. Many things have two sides and this was just another.

On F/B JW and Wayland had some recent posts about police finally starting to crack down on things that were ignored before that they say might spill into the HDT/RV world too. While moving at the speed of glaciers, it's why my smart is being tilted 27* to avoid any issues.

Have a great spring/summer, Russ

Old 04-19-2013, 05:29 AM   #17

Russ, we've MOVED IN. Closed last Friday, got some new furniture and new appliances over the weekend and we are in. Trailer will go into storage this weekend and Kechup will be parked in the driveway when we go north.
We've been living in this house, abusing our neighbors for 42 years,

(by the way what you think about my "collection"), after 42 years getting rid of the accumulated possessions, "treasures" and junk took a year and half. Good thing that at the time we put the house for sale the market was slow and it took that long to sell it. What I am saying that from that point on my life has been relatively "de-junked". That "domicile" was a 275 years old farm house which I doubled in size over the years and then built that barn/shop/office of 1,600 square feet between the two floors. The house was a perpetual "this old house" project, I was sick of it after 42 years (replacing foundations, sills, walls, heating systems, plumbing, roofs, etc. etc). The Florida house is 19 years old and after about a week of repairs I AM DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Few leaky and plugged up faucets, screen door handle, trim the bushes, change the door locks. THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wife and I made a pact, NO MORE HOUSE PROJECTS!
Our "interim" house up north (after the 42 years one) is pretty well organized and stream lined so the move should go pretty slick in the summer. I moved several of my companies over the years so I have a pretty good handle on the "process", I am already building ETs and Jackalopees down here.
I haven't been on FB recently I have to check out what JW is posting, what's the jest of it?

hjs
Old 04-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #18

Henry,

I'm so jealous of the "NO MORE HOUSE PROJECTS" status. That has been a dream of mine for several years. We've started doing upgrades and minor disposal steps so it goes easier, but that in itself becomes a hated project. I know fulltiming will also have many fix up issues and that is a major part of my snails pace since I am repairing or replacing everything on the truck I can think of so I can keep that to a minimum.

OK, I think it was early last week JW was posting on F/B that he was somewhere North of TN (I think Michigan) hauling one of his drilling machines behind a "private" vehicle. In photos it appeared to be an International flat bed, certainly not a class eight. He posted that he was pulled over and ticketed for no DOT and other issue. Wayland and JW got posting back and forth that several of the HDT horse haulers are being stopped and ticketed for similiar issues because so many counties, cities and communities need more income and it isn't coming from taxes or Feds. They were commenting that they feel it is just a matter of time before it drifts into our world. I tend to agree, but that is from my prior work in litigation for marine products and accidents, so I defer to being safe vs. sorry. Might be a mountain out of mole hill, but I tend to error toward caution.

I guess it's like titling a HDT as RV in FL, depends on who you ask.

Glad to read that your move is going great guns.

Russ
Old 04-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #19

New Horizons Owners Club
Hey Henry,,,,
GLAD you are doing so well -- almost a "land baron", too!

Great pics (of the new shop, in FL)!

Glad to learn you arrived in NH safely... how much longer do you plan to be there??? (IF we can make it this year, we'd be there sometime after July 4, nothing more precise, yet).

Cheers, from Mesa (AZ),
Don
DonF888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #20

Don, the plan is to be here through the summer and make the "move" no later then August. So you are certainly welcome to the driveway "RV Resort". A bed "refurbishing" will commence shortly, you will recognize it when I post the pictures and the ET backlog is already growing.

hjs
Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #21

Well Henry, gotta say the "other" forum seems somewhat less lively now that you're not over there. (I'm wondering if there is any kind of "cooling off" period in which a person can be un-banned so you could participate again...) Should've known that you'd be going wide open, no matter what. Great that you're finally leaving the great white frozen north country! I joined over here just so I could see what you're up to...what projects you're building, etc.
Cheers!
Doug
Old 05-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #22

I noticed the forum has gone a bit ho-hum. In my experience any "grouping" has to be driven by the "doers" to keep it fresh and exciting, it goes stale pretty quickly if driven only by the "jaw flappers" (read politicians). The guide is very valuable and there is a lot there, maybe it can be transported or linked.
I'm not inclined to kiss anyone's behind to get back on.
I have several projects in the wings, I will post them here.

hjs
Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #23

It is quiet around here. Not an all bad thing though. I sure am glad that irv2 has sections for hdt's and truck conversions. We just need to make sure people know these types of campers are an option.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #24

Cool

Hello Henry,

Glad Mike let us know where you are, just saying Hi and happy for you on enjoying some sunshine.

"NO MORE HOUSE PROJECTS !", that will be interesting
Old 05-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #25

ky rb, let me tell you about "house projects" and why there will be NO MORE!
40 years of a "house project" after which I am of the opinion that "This Old House" folks are amateurs.
Starting point 275 years old farm house in New Hampshire (picture of the finished "project" with a for sale sign in front of it)

That is an actual dug and working well in the front. Along the way, yours truly stripped ALL THE HORSEHAIR PLASTER from every wall and ceiling, did all the plumbing and electrical work, did all the wall board over and exposed the nice hardwood beams.

Beams shown here as is the massive three rooms fireplace, re-bricked.

Then "we" moved on to replacing all the termite eaten and dry rotted floors (floor gone, looking into the cellar)

With floor joist gone another "discovery" all the sills were termite eaten and dry rotted, hoist the house section by section and replace those. That wainscoting are original wide boards running horizontally.

Next "we" moved on to the cellar which was too low and had only dirt floor. Solution, dig it down two feet and cement the floor. Slight problem though, the stone foundations and the massive fireplace were sitting on the dirt floor, needed to be re-supported with additional 2 feet of foundations.

Since I was still "motivated" (and had spare "energy") I built a two story barn, basically a 1,600 square feet (800 bottom and 800 second floor) "man town".
If you have a "man town" you need a "conversation pieces" in the man town. For such "I chose" a personal two story elevator (from the garage to to the second floor).

If you ask why, why not? It was a 1930's elevator, came out from an old mansion, they were gonna cart it off to the dump, gave it to me free and I restored it for around $500 bucks.

Can you say, no more house projects.

hjs
Old 05-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #26

Cool

Henry,

I hope you realize my comment was with all due respect ! I too have been down the house projects route. Hundred year old house, added 2nd floor, new wiring, plumbing, HVAC, concrete driveway, patio and stone walls . . partial list. In my spare time (ha ha), I rebuild late model vehicle insurance totals while working 6 and 7 days a week at my workplace. So, are we able to stop such nonsense ?

It looks like you have done some very cool stuff though. Always enjoy following your truck projects.

RB
Old 05-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #27

RB, you and I are the types incapable of stopping such nonsense. That's why they have now entire networks dedicated to the DIY work. No disrespect was perceived, although from my "age" perspective I wonder now whether the respect I received in the past was genuine or tongue in the cheek acknowledgement of my stupidity. You couldn't talk me into doing any of this today (house restoration) for all the money in the world.
But, we just change horses, a truck will be arriving here in the next few weeks to be "ministered to", so you guys will have something to look forward on the forum.
I might have posted someplace a "musing" from one of my friends who suggested that a proper place for my burial should be a pyramid or a mausoleum big enough for a shop (with tools). Otherwise, my spirit might be banging around harassing them and require priestly intervention.

hjs