Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #29

With regard to the heating via Aqua Hot....

On a larger coach you really need to consider the amount of btu's required. The LP Aqua Hots have limited output. On larger New Horizons you are pushing the limits. Careful consideration needs to be given to the choice between diesel and propane if you are going to use an Aqua Hot. Personally, on a larger coach -say 45' - I'd be inclined to go diesel and put in a diesel genset off the same tank.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #30

Jack has a good point, many of the heating systems are undersized for the rigs they are supposed to "keep warm" as a result their cycle time, unit on vs. unit off, is way out of whack. There are other factors involved here, the quality of the insulation, how and where the insulation is placed, the "design of ducting", in most instances I would say NONE, "just see if you can stick this duct there", the insulation in the floor or the cellar, floor heating, etc., etc.
Bedrooms are notorious for having piddly heat, or no heat, by the time any warm air gets pushed through those long duct runs to the bedrooms there are hardly any BTUs coming out.
I wrote an article in 2007 on a Teton which belonged to Steve Dobbs then (he sold it to Russ Barnes since), it did (does) have hydronic heat, you might be interested what I "discovered" then. Here's the two pages excerpt which pertained to the hydronic unit he installed then.

hjs

Old 07-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #31

One other comment.

The new two stage "conventional" furnaces are whisper quiet on stage one. Not quite as quiet as the hydronic systems, but honestly, I can barely hear it run. And with good insulation like our NH has we rarely go to stage 2 on the furnaces. Even then, they are quieter than the old "jet engine" furnaces. Plus there is now an option for an electric "boost" that uses the ducting for distribution of an electric assist for heat.

I've had the opportunity on my last two coaches to put in hydronic heating. I have declined that option because of the cost, complexity and space it requires. The two stage furnaces are compact, and work well. It is very hard for me to justify the hydronic heat....but it sure is a "nice" heat. Given no cost constraints I'd probably use some sort of hydronic heat...

Also, because we have an electric fireplace that we use when on electric service we find that using the furnaces is fairly rare. The fireplace will heat the entire coach down into the low 30's if it is already at temperature. In the next coach I WILL put in supplemental electric in-floor heat. Units are available that you can "nail through" if required. Heating pads will be placed in the bath area, and in the kitchen area between the island and counters. I likely will not put a pad in the living area since we will have an area rug in that area.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:31 AM   #32

Thanks Jack,

I have run my furnace only one fall and winter in Iowa. Set it up with a 150 gallon baby LP tank. Started running off the tank in July, with heating water and then for the Furnace set at the lowest setting in October. Tank ran dry sometime after Thanksgiving. I wasn't there but had winterized the trailer during a Thanksgiving break. Had planned to do skirting and if I had stayed during the cold month I would have had too. Since I wasn't there I didn't notice that I needed to.

The next time I was in a cold climate I had one of the Amish type portable heaters. It worked very well and wasn't too hard on my electric bill. (Site had an individual meter). I still kept the furnace on the lowest setting (just in case) but never heard it come on during the night.

So my question is. While it's not economically advantageous for you, would it be better if you were planning on keeping the trailer for the long haul? How long would you have to keep it to feel it was worth it. I also plan to do more cold weather locations once my daughter no longer lives in South Florida. I would prefer waking up to 30 degrees than the current 70 where I am sitting her at 5 am perspiring while drinking coffee with a fan blowing right on me. Yes I could turn the A/C to a lower setting, but then it would just run all day while I am not here for the next 14 hours. I'm putting a programmable thermostat in my new rig, for sure.

Thanks again for the comments.

Rod

Ps, thinking about a heat pump for one of my basement HVac units. Suggestions, comments or concerns?
rl
Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #33

All I can say about heating is that I do spend plenty of time in pretty cold weather....it is not uncommon for us to be in 20* conditions for weeks at a time. Good insulation, good windows (frameless are a requirement IMO because there are far less drafts), and good slide seals make all the difference - I can tell you that from personal experience.

Hydronic heat is great. I don't have an opinion about how long it would take to "recoup" the investment. I've thought about the hydronic a LOT....and for us I just can't see the 10K or so expense when we do VERY well with two of the two stage furnaces and electric heat. Plus, with two furnaces I have some redundancy in case of issues with one.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 AM   #34

Thanks again Jack,

Good information to know. Didn't realize you spent as much time in cold weather. 10000 is a bit much to spend on initial heating.

Got a floor plan yesterday to start to tweak. Most of it is what I wanted. Marsha did include a space for a washer and dryer that I won't ever need or want and the garage is one foot shorter than the minimum I think I will need. Came out to be a 42 foot trailer, only 3 foot shorter than what I have now. There is one 9' slide, one 8'6" and one 6'6".

Rod
Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #35

https://plus.google.com/photos/10135...IjM1Y7sroSIpwE

the link above should take you to some photos of the floor plan I have been working on. I spent the morning playing with scissors and tape. Opinions, recommendations and comments welcomed.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #36

I would find the 36" shower far too restrictive. Try a 39" for far more comfort.

More comments later.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #37

We have the 36" square and I'm getting along in it just fine. It is actually more spacious than the neo-angle we had before. I'm sure the 39" would feel very nice but for the amount of time you spend in a shower every day I'm not sure it is really worth the compromise.

If Marsha is building that shower in-house I thought that their round front was a 39"...

By the way, Rod, we like the floor plan! Looks like what you were wanting when we talked. Take your time on this part and I'm sure you'll be very happy with the finished product.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #38

One other thought on your cut and paste - you have both of your slides on the door side and often that is the only area where you'll have space outside. I'm not sure how far off the ground your slides will be. But, while it would be nice to have no slides on the utility side you may want to think about the impact to you of having that much of your potential "yard" area covered with slides. In a tight campground, you could be ducking under two slides to get to the entry door which may not be fun.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Girls View Post
One other thought on your cut and paste - you have both of your slides on the door side and often that is the only area where you'll have space outside. I'm not sure how far off the ground your slides will be. But, while it would be nice to have no slides on the utility side you may want to think about the impact to you of having that much of your potential "yard" area covered with slides. In a tight campground, you could be ducking under two slides to get to the entry door which may not be fun.
That is a good point, Robert. I am not sure how high the Slides will be either. We haven't discussed the outside much just yet. Haven't gotten a response from my latest cut and paste sending.

With being on a Semi platform I am thinking there would be at least 24 inches of space between the lowest portion of the outside bottom and the bottom of the living area floor. It's just a guess but seems like that from the other Semi trailer platforms I have seen. Having nothing on the utility side to me is a plus. I hate having to crawl under the living area slide to work with the dump handles. Of course on my current trailer they are all exposed to the elements. Three different pull handles. Two you have to crawl to the middle of the living area slide out. I have multiple scars from trying to stand up too soon( and many ruined shirts). OF course I have added a final cut off just before the end cap so there is less drip from it when I disconnect the drain hose.

Rod
Old 07-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #40

Making a trip to visit Marsha and the Factory tomorrow. Have plenty of things I need to check on.
1. Actually stand in one of their showers.
2. Discuss axle placement and the weight of my car.
3. Talk about placement of the Murphy bed. (may go back to a mid kitchen and front living.)
4. Get a better idea of basement size with the one level floor.
5. Talk about moving bath more forward and putting a central door (wide) instead of a small one side door and hall.
6. Find a similar trailer within 1000 miles that I could go look at. Maybe that should be 500 miles an 8 hour drive out and another back.

I am open to other questions comments and concerns. Am going to copy this and past it to the other forum so if you read both, please only post on one. (your favorite).

Rod
Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #41

Rod, Jack check this forum.
Guests!

hjs
Old 07-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can't realy add insight to your question, i am in the process of moving to an hdt myself, and as a matter a fact I haven't finished reading the thread. What I would like to say, I looked at spacecraft, not my first choice, they still do build a wonderful coach, but have you checked out continental coach, marathon, and new horizon? We loved what we saw at continental coach, but we feel new horizon builds the best as far as a full time home, they have best insulation practices, gorgeous cabinetry, the systems are well thought out and very sleek. Although we have decided on a drv for the reason they have a model that requires no customization, and still has the amenities and quality were after, so it's really a no brainer. Anyway I apologize for the off topic coment.