Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #57

Hmm, what about this for a floorplan?

You said you were thinking about an island on wheels, if I recall correctly.

You could use the cabinetry on the slideout side for your pantry using pull-out shelves in the lower cabinets. I think a small island would make this a pretty good option.

I know you don't really need more options, but I can't help thinking since I had a few minutes today...

DW says a 1 can deep pantry between the sitting area and the dining area would be a great addition to this floor plan. You could hang a picture or a mirror on the back (sitting area side). The pantry would also provide some nice structure in the middle of the long slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-08-16 at 11.48.44 PM.png
Views:	117
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	44278  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #58

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Girls View Post
Rod,

Is this pretty much the floor plan you are going to build??

If so then you probably need to look carefully at your pin weight - front kitchen's are heavy on the pin and you might get close to your hitch limit.
Thanks again Robert,

Remember going down the road I will have at least 4000 lb counter weight in the garage.

Rod

Old 08-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #59

I am conflicted on which side to have the slide(s) come out. Initially Marsha drew them out opposing. I used sidewalk chalk in my brothers shop on the concrete floor and didn't like the feel of that. Redrew them both on the same side (shoulder side) and it felt better. Hate crawling under the slide to empty tanks with my current trailer and then there are concerns about electrical and water hookups on the drivers side . If there are no slides you can get as close as you want to to the posts and not have to worry. "Will the slide clear that?"

I like the idea of a pantry between in a long slide, will ask the pros/cons of one long slide vs the two shorter.

Thanks again.

Rod
Old 08-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #60

Spoke with Wyatt and Marsha for an hour this afternoon. Most was concerning the garage and getting the car in, am having Wyatt redraw it with me backing the car in. Said with the current measurements I would need to have a 9 foot door. Will be posting a link to all the photos I have sent them and the drawings they have sent me.

We have moved the king pin to 13.5 inches back from the front of the trailer. Wyatt says I will have 2.5 inched of clearance at a 70 degree turn. Will have to be sure I don't go to full jack knife or even close to 90 degrees. Sure hope his computer is spitting out good info.

Have changed to a single slide on the passenger side and have moved the entry door to the front of the garage above the rear axle. A couple bathroom changes and then the decisions on the foo foo stuff. I'd just make it black and white but then both of those colors show things like dust and such. Current trailer is Black and Grey and I'm sort of tired of that color scheme. Am going for the paint-able interior walls (upgrade).

Rod

link to some photos

https://plus.google.com/photos/10135...CPP18aatgbnwUA
Old 08-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lappir View Post
Thanks again Robert,

Remember going down the road I will have at least 4000 lb counter weight in the garage.

Rod
Rod, regarding your discussions with Wyatt and Marsha concerning the pin weight on your semi, here's my "opinion".
If they can keep it to 7,500-8,500 lbs it would work with the large air bag, over 9,000 is getting pretty heavy. Wyatt is right, having the garage loaded, offloads the hitch quite a bit. It's a ratio of distances, center of the garage to the center of the fifth's axles vs. the center of the fifth's axles o the king pin. Whatever that ratio is that's how much of the garage's weight will come off the king pin. But the minute you empty the garage that weight comes back onto the pin. I'm assuming though, that the garage weight would be there every time you would be pulling.
You can share all my emails with Marsha and Wyatt, I'm glad to help and be part of "the process" and it's also nice to see another SpaceCraft "being born".

I think the simplest and most direct solution for you would be to consider installing an ET Jr. (same hitch that Bob Springfield has). Several advantages to that: It comes with the 12,500 lb air bag standard, it comes with a Super Binkley head standard, it costs the same as ET Sr. and I have almost all the parts for one in stock. Normally we mount Juniors on a small base plate to go onto existing decks (like Springfield's) but for your installation I could fabricate it with a custom base plate of extra width and thickness (5/8") to install between rails similar to the ET Sr. installation. I would also supply custom installation angles to go with the hitch. The difference in cost would be minimal. The Jr. is 2 inches lower so you would have to install it higher, but we could also install it precisely in the correct position to work with Marsha's semi configuration.

I could refurbish yours to "like new" condition and I'm sure there would be interest in it if it was refurbished and sold as such with a modest discount.
As I mentioned, I am planning to re-engineer the ET Sr. with the 12,500 lb air bag, but that is another "project" on my plate and you know how many "projects" I have competing for my "attention" (on top of the recent move to Florida). So this "solution" (a Jr.) would probably square up with your November deadline more directly, plus you could have it on your truck to pick up the SpaceCraft.

hjs
Old 08-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #62

Henry, as you know I'm "interested" in a higher rated Sr. - basically a mod to the one I have. I'd be looking for a pin weight in the 8500-9K area (max). Doable?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mayer View Post
Henry, as you know I'm "interested" in a higher rated Sr. - basically a mod to the one I have. I'd be looking for a pin weight in the 8500-9K area (max). Doable?
Jack, I've been thinking about using the ET Jr. air bag (12,500 lbs) in the Seniors. The spec says these can be operated with the larger excursion (5 inches) but I want to build one to make sure everything would be "kosher" (the sled travel, the bag tip, etc.). I brought parts to Florida to do this, it was never going to be done up north with the move chaos.
That said, I think I would still make most of Seniors as 4 bag 10K models and have the higher rated model for "special applications". The ideal inflation for airbags is at 50% of 100 psi inflation (max) or 50 psi (these things are linear pressure and weight wise) and ideal range is between 40-60 psi. That works great for pin weights of 4K to 6K which is exactly where most of you guys are. A 12,500 bag would be ideal for 6K pin weight but a bit "mushy" for 3.5-4K pin, although some folks like mushy and equate it with "luxury".
As I said to Rod 9K is a bit beyond the "ideal" region you'd be at about 75 psi. In my "not so humble opinion" hitches that require 80 psi or more to work are pretty useless, except for going over 6 inch deep potholes.
There are larger air bags both for single and quad application but their sizes preclude installation in the current design that fits "in between the rails".

hjs
Old 08-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #64

I'd be able to live with 75psi if I had to. I'd be aiming for a pin weight of less than 9K, though. Although based on Roberts weights it seems that would be "challenging".
Old 08-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #65

Jack, Robert has a Jr. and is running at 55 psi on a 12,500 air bag, he was very pleased the first time he hooked up. He is at 29,000 lb gross so SpaceCraft really balanced it well, particularly the "fluids" (he has 5 tanks) and the fresh water.

hjs
Old 08-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #66

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mayer View Post
If yo DO put in an induction unit put in a 2-burner module and put a 2-burner gas module next to it.

And for a gas stove, don't use the RV junk. Look at a small apt. oven. Verona makes a nice 24" gas oven that works well. Very high quality - made for residential use.
Hi Jack:
I understand your recommendation and I know that is what you did in you rig, BUT I am trying to understand the "why" gas. I'm certainly not saying you are wrong. I am just trying to understand the why....

We have our plans already complete and I took all the gas out of the rig. I want to understand your thinking so I can avoid a mistake based on your vast experience.

Cheers
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #67

I'm not Jack

But maybe this is the answer you are looking for.

I have decided the induction while nice, maybe not worth the increased "upgrade" cost. I have three portables that I have maybe $200 in them. Can replace them several times before getting to the upgrade amount. Will go with a high quality gas so the times I am without full electrical hook ups I will still be able to use a gas burner. The second is for heating. I will use electric most of the time but when I need something else it's nice to have the LP to fall back on. Lastly, I find a gas water heater more responsive to my needs. I might go with a gas/electric model, but will still have gas.

Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrushl View Post
Hi Jack:
I understand your recommendation and I know that is what you did in you rig, BUT I am trying to understand the "why" gas. I'm certainly not saying you are wrong. I am just trying to understand the why....

We have our plans already complete and I took all the gas out of the rig. I want to understand your thinking so I can avoid a mistake based on your vast experience.

Cheers
Old 08-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #68

Latest news, Gone is the stacker frame and confirmation with builder that the a car is what will be carried back there. Apparently with one of my first conversations I mentioned still having the car on the truck. I had changed my mind on that months ago, but was still the point that they were trying to make with the pin weight. Thinking I would not have a counter balance and the "dry weight" on the pin could be over 9000 lbs. I understand that is what the builder has to take into consideration, but going down the road weighs are what most of us are concerned about. My desire for a "Semi" trailer is that I wouldn't have to worry if I wanted to carry my Cast Iron or not. If I wanted real dishes instead of plastic. I guess we still have to worry.

Was really liking the arrangement of a Front Kitchen , am reconsidering this too. If I put most of my known weights over the axles I will have more room to play with the unknowns. The dry pin weight didn't consider the water and waste tanks in front of the axles, so I need to specify these are at or behind. I sort of mentioned that yesterday on the phone but wasn't received well because they were still thinking front kitchen and didn't want to run water and drain lines all the way to the back. Solve the problem, move the stuff back. Looks like more cutting and pasting.

Thanks for looking and reading. Comments appreciated.

Rod
Old 08-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #69

Have been back to the drawing board many times and have had some awsome assistance from Robert Springfield. He has given me some great drawings and suggestions. Have forwarded most of them with a few comments to SC (known as Space Craft).

Loaded the truck with some unneeded things from the trailer and will looking to stash them at my rented room in Osky. Hope Mother doesn't snoop around too much. Plan to slowly unpack the trailer and sneak a few things in every so often. It's not that she will mind but she is always accusing me of "sneaking around", so I'm gonna do it for real for a bit.

New tires on the truck and taking the flat deck off the back so I can evaluate my hitch issue. Henry is suggesting an upgrade to a new ET Junior with the 12,500 capacity bag. I will do it but not sure I want to have it done until I know what the pin weight will be. If I am at near capacity for the 12,500 bag then I will need to do a major change and have a Holland hitch placed. Not something I really want to do, but I want the Semi chassis and the carry capacity of that type of trailer.

Am considering leaving my truck and trailer at SC when the HDT rally is over. It will be mid October and I really don't want to have to spend a lot of time winterizing. Will try to have it empty and we can blow out the lines at SC. Will just put one of the motorcycles in the trailer for my ride back to Iowa. The only problem will be in late November and it's time to head to Florida. I will have to ride the motorcycle there to pick it up and have someone drive the car. Then I will need another person to come pick up my driver. Oh well, will cross that bridge when it comes.

Rod
Old 09-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #70

Latest updates.

Attended the iRV2 Rally in Amana Iowa last weekend. Met several very nice folks and look forward to being able to attend another Rally with them in the future. Just saw the location of the 2014 Rally. Might just have to plan on an early trip back to Florida next year.

So, I have the deck off the truck. sure makes it easier to open and shut the overhead door, but can't put the car or bike in the truck right now. Still on the fence on the hitch change. Have had more information from Henry on my current hitch and how it will require a mag drill to put on a new hitch. Still waiting on Wyatt to let me know his estimate of pin weight. Marsha say's "considerable lightening" not exactly sure what that is in lbs though.

Found, ordered and picked up my Cooktop. Had been to all the big box stores looking at various cooktops and not finding anything I liked. Just happened to see a Sear's store across the street and BANG, they had what I wanted and on sale for 50% off. Of course it had to be ordered in, but I have it and can check it off the list.

Refrigerators are another issue. The one I wanted is no longer available. A couple other possibles I can't find to touch yet and I can't seem to buy anything without being able to at least see it in person. (making this long distance build much harder). Heading out in a few minutes to look at some more.

Was looking at the New Post's area here and saw the one about the Diesel Generator needing $3000 worth of parts. Saw a link to the VisionRv Salvage yard in Kentucky. Has anyone visited them? Might be interested in a used Generator for half price of a new one. Won't be on the trailer though. I will mount it in or on the truck. Would then put a rooftop A/C unit on my Truck garage and run a vent into the back of the sleeper. Best of both worlds, airconditioned Garage and the ability to sleep in the truck no matter how hot.

Ok, gotta run but will post more later.

Rod