Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > HDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #85

Nice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #86

So with 18,400 + 4,000, that makes a lot of weight, plus doesn't it unload the tongue quite a bit, too?

Old 11-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #87

We will soon know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
So with 18,400 + 4,000, that makes a lot of weight, plus doesn't it unload the tongue quite a bit, too?
There are most likely calculations out there, but none put to the test that I am aware of. Will do the true test very soon.

This afternoon I will be taking the truck to meet the trailer, sometime before the weekend is over the car will join us and be loaded. Weighing will be done again unless when we load the car in the far back of the trailer the rear wheels of the truck come off the ground and it's impossible to move. I am hopeful and trusting the experience of the builder that no such thing will happen.

Rod
Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #88

Photo link to finished product.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10135...CI_4gbfcqNKAKw

Here are a few photos of the finished product. I have taken a TON of pic's Thank you digital photography. Having to wait for development of film would have been unbearable.

Rod
Old 11-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #89

That is unbelievable. You're a proud papa I bet!
Congratulations!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #90

Looks great! Love the murphy bed idea. Really allows the bedroom to do double duty day/night.

How do the entrance stairs works? Almost looks like a detachable setup?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #91

Very, very nice. Congratulations and safest travels.
I also like the murphy bed set up and hope that you post a few pictures of it. I would to hear more about it after you have utilized it.
Looks like a top quality build.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #92

Yup the stairs come off the platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Looks great! Love the murphy bed idea. Really allows the bedroom to do double duty day/night.

How do the entrance stairs works? Almost looks like a detachable setup?
The platform is motorized and extends out under the door. In the basement just behind there is a rack for storage of the steps and the railings. One person can set it up, but two makes it a lot easier. Have spend 4 nights so far in the Murphy. I had a "Sleep Number" bed before and moved it into the Murphy. It's much lower to the floor than I imagined it would be, but that's the only change I can really tell from a conventional. Very easy to make the bed in the morning.
Step one
Go to the end of the bed.
Step Two
lift bed
Step three
push bed into wall and latch. DONE.

Rod
Old 11-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #93

I can't find any recent pictures. It's on the road now, isn't it? Maybe I'm missing something but the newest pics I could find was a page with construction pics, no wheels on the trailer.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #94

Bob, did you click the link in #88?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
I can't find any recent pictures. It's on the road now, isn't it? Maybe I'm missing something but the newest pics I could find was a page with construction pics, no wheels on the trailer.
I just did and the photos of my pick up and departure are there. I haven't added any more since then. Am going back to pick it up again this afternoon. Had a water freeze up issue the first night out away from the factory (of course). Hopefully those issues are resolved. I still have about 3 weeks (at least) left in the Iowa climates.

Once I get it all settled, the holidays are over and I have some free time I will post more photos.

Rod
Old 11-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #95

Excel Owners Club
Rod,
Sorry to hear about the freeze up. Were you using it when it froze or was it sitting without the furnace running? I assume all your water lines are inside and insulated so the furnace won't let them freeze until very cold.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #96

I thought that was supposed to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Rod,
Sorry to hear about the freeze up. Were you using it when it froze or was it sitting without the furnace running? I assume all your water lines are inside and insulated so the furnace won't let them freeze until very cold.
Yes, no and assumption not quite.

It was my first night away from the Factory. I had pulled it during the snow fall we had during the day. Got my brand new shiney trailer all covered with road grime to top it off it was to get into the teens that night with a howling wind. When I arrived at the parking spot it was still above freezing. Plugged it in and turned the heat pump to 75 in hopes to build up a little cushion and to warm the cold inside stuff. (It had sat a couple days in the 40's without heat running). I had wanted to fill up with water but the usual source was frozen in the ground so I needed 25 foot more hose to reach the tank or move the trailer. I decided to wait until the next day to fill the tank, not a good idea on my part. It may not have helped but it might. Inside the house was nice and toasty. I hooked up all my electric heaters and set them at 65 just in case. Well about 3am just in case started. I woke up with the heat pump blowing cold air and my electric heaters trying to keep up. Turned the heat pump off and got a couple more hours of sleep. At 5 got up and turned on the water pump. Nothing. opened a faucet and once the initial pressure left no start of the pump. Damn.

It was 12 degrees that day. Tried to start the heat pump and nothing there either. I was not a happy camper. Dug out my little milk house heater and put it right in front of the water pump and lines. Made the trip to town for the additional water hose, put the slides in and moved the trailer to fill the water tank and finally got the water going again in the early evening. It had warmed to the 20's and never got lower during the remaining time I had to stay.

This morning it's again 12 degrees in Iowa. I am still in Concordia waiting on Wyatt to arrive and we can discuss what he has done to resolve my problem. I got here last night and it was in the 30's, the heat pump was running and the inside temperature set at 65 was being maintained without the addition of electric heaters. Took a quick look at the basement finding the water tank insulated on 5 sides, the new LP gas furnace sitting above it. I knew it was to get to the 20's last night here so I turned off the heat pump and turned on the gas furnace. I set my electric heaters to 65 and went to bed. I never heard the gas furnace come on during the night. My electric heaters cycled on and off. When I finally crawled out of bet at 5 this morning it was a pleasant 65 in my house. Just where I like it. Took the trusty infrared thermometer out side finding it to be 22 degrees on my side wall, 20 on my basement door that opens to the water pump and my first filter casing at 33 degrees. The water in the tank was 44 I think there is going to need to be a bit more insulation put around the water compartment. I have come in and turned the thermostat to 70 degrees and the LP Furnace is now running. It is getting quite warm inside and in a few minutes I am going out to see what is happening in the basement. I can say the furnace in the basement is very quiet I can hear the roar of the fire but cannot hear the fan at all.

Will probably start a new thread about this later on.

Rod
Old 11-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #97

Excel Owners Club
Hi Rod,

Thanks for the info....I think SC will have to adjust some of the area's that handle your water supply with strategic placement of ducts or lines that can keep water from freezing in those area. When I got our unit I was surprised with some of the duct placement in the water manifold area and holding tank area...plus a lot of insulation. One of the reasons I bought the unit was they guaranteed no freeze up down to -10F/-23C. Like you said some more insulation and redirection of heat source to the area should take care of it....just to bad you had to find out the way you did.

We know cold up here that is for sure, and I did heating and A/C work for many years up here.

RickS is offline   Reply With Quote