Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
All Workhorse had to do was add a tee into the line after the "normal filter" and they would not have needed to design or use a filter with only one source. I spent 40 years in business and we would do anything possible to avoid a single sourced item.

Anyway, I also have a spare from Dale.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:

Here is one with only 10,000 miles on it.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With only 10,000 miles that filter has had as much gas passe thru as it would have had with 30 to 40,000 miles if it was in your family car.

It's a little scary to think 1 gal of gas has to pass thru that, in as little as 3 miles when you're climbing mountains.

I'd like to take this opportunity to
thank Dale again for noticing that I put my adaptor on backwards. He noticed this from a simple picture I took after the installation.
How many other places would make a long distance call to tell their customer that?

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd like to take this opportunity to
thank Dale again for noticing that I put my adaptor on backwards. He noticed this from a simple picture I took after the installation.
How many other places would make a long distance call to tell their customer that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Max... But, I need to correct your statement. The adapter was installed correctly as it can only be install one way... you just had you fuel filter on backwards.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The T filter offers one less connection and it meets the standard set forth by GM and Workhorse engineering for the returnless fuel system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although this is a true statement you failed to state that you need to open 3 connections each time the WHFF is replaced and only 2 with the adapter installed. The bottom line is that you actually have 1 less connection to fail/leak AFTER the adapter is installed.

One other thing we fail to observe with the WHFF installed and the fuel rail at pressure is the fuel pump continues to operate. But, because of the fuel pressure differential (90 psi on the pump and 55-62 psi on the fuel rail) you have constant flow of fuel from the tank, to the filter and back to the tank. Why is this important? Because, with the old style filter you had 30-40' of fuel line in each direction this means that less fuel is filtered multiple times but hot fuel is returning to the tank. With the new filter you have probably 2x or more fuel going through the filter but no heat soak. So the bottom line is, you don't have hot fuel going to the pump that is cooled by the fuel in the tank and should you get a bad load of fuel you will be sitting on the side of the road sooner. This why I change my filter every year and THROW the old one in the trash.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
So then the bottom line for this discussion is that one should be able to purchase a replacement filter at a reasonable cost at any parts store in any town USA as was done with these coaches in the past...so fix it, so that this can be accomplished without RV owners having to do something about it themselves. Well, if I'm reading this correctly, it seems like a reasonable argument to me.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #20

tropical36,

I offer the 1 WHFF for $45 plus $10 S/H or $100 for 2 shipped to you Priority Mail. I consider that reasonable when you consider that I have to buy or more cases at a time. But, you can go to a WHSC and pay $77 or more and wait 4 or 5 days to get it.

And yes the price went up $5 per filter. Why... my cost with S/H went up.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:

"Thanks Max... But, I need to correct your statement. The adapter was installed correctly as it can only be install one way... you just had you fuel filter on backwards." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, it was the filter I had on backwards. Thanks for noticing and letting me know.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">you just had you fuel filter on backwards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
DALE: Does that mean the filter was putting the dirty fuel into the tank?? ED
Old 11-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">DALE: Does that mean the filter was putting the dirty fuel into the tank?? ED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if he fogot to put the new on.

In reality... it will work but not as well as if it was installed correctly.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">you just had you fuel filter on backwards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
DALE: Does that mean the filter was putting the dirty fuel into the tank?? ED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

now ed, with that dancing clown in your post I almost feel this will disappoint you but the filter was brand new, so the answer is 'no', it did'nt put dirty fuel back in the tank, sorry.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">now ed, with that dancing clown in your post </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Max49: it is a "jester" and is meant to convey that my comment, addressed to Dale, was "in jest", in other words, not meant to be taken seriously. ED.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #26
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, Can't we express humor here at times or do we have to be so straight-laced that these forums are no longer any fun. It would indeed be a sad day if iRV2 stops being fun.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
O come on now, you guys still don't know how to take me? I can give it or take it, it's all fun and my comment was in jest too.
I was so proud on my fuel filter adapter installation that I posted the pic of it . Then Dale crushed me. But I'm glad he did,I'd rather have the fuel goin the right way. I can laugh at myself too
Old 11-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #28

Looks like a fuel filter adapter is the way to go. Can someone tell me about changing a filter? Will there be gas running out all over? How much gas will I lose? Any good tips? Any cautions or problems starting the engine after changing the filter?