Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2017, 03:56 AM   #15

An authorized dealer did the replacement, so it is possible they did not replace the sensor but it would have been covered by the recall.

I am assuming this is the correct replacement part?
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Work...sor?filter=207
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2017, 04:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
An authorized dealer did the replacement, so it is possible they did not replace the sensor but it would have been covered by the recall.

I am assuming this is the correct replacement part?
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Work...sor?filter=207
It was my understanding that the recall only covered caliper replacement, it did nothing about rotor or brake pad damage caused by the caliper sticking. I don't know if it would have covered the abs sensor. The link you have from Ultrarvproducts is the correct part.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:59 AM   #17

Not entirely correct.
WH covered rotors and pads on mine and reimbursed me for an incompetent WH dealer inspection after I was stranded on road less than 200 mi after leaving dealer when they told me no issues w brakes and I was "good to go".
It wasn't easy...they refused at least 3X. It was only after I got NHTSA involved that they became a lot more cooperative.

I had good records of prior pad replacement to counter their claim it was normal wear and maintenance item.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #18

Yeah, it could have gone either way when the calipers were replaced:

"Q. Why is my Authorized Workhorse Service Center telling me Workhorse will not pay for brake pads?
A. Campaign 51101-C is only for the replacement of 4 brake caliper assemblies. Maintenance and wearable
brake components such as, but not limited to: brake pads, rotors, seals, hoses and ABS system components
are not part of Campaign 51101-C. Workhorse will evaluate cases on an individual basis where a seized brake
caliper assembly is believed to have caused collateral damage to another brake system component. If the
brake caliper is found to be the root cause of the collateral damage, the affected component may be covered
by Workhorse."

Proving it was collateral damage most likely fell to the repair shop's opinion/report. But honestly, I can't see them leaving that melted ABS sensor like that since I doubt I can even get it out of there without either snapping it off or having to heat up that glob to start with.

On another note, Doorman has the ABS sensors for $28.31 shipped:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-970-...FY3mQ8&vxp=mtr
Old 11-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Yeah, it could have gone either way when the calipers were replaced:

"Q. Why is my Authorized Workhorse Service Center telling me Workhorse will not pay for brake pads?
A. Campaign 51101-C is only for the replacement of 4 brake caliper assemblies. Maintenance and wearable
brake components such as, but not limited to: brake pads, rotors, seals, hoses and ABS system components
are not part of Campaign 51101-C. Workhorse will evaluate cases on an individual basis where a seized brake
caliper assembly is believed to have caused collateral damage to another brake system component. If the
brake caliper is found to be the root cause of the collateral damage, the affected component may be covered
by Workhorse."

Proving it was collateral damage most likely fell to the repair shop's opinion/report. But honestly, I can't see them leaving that melted ABS sensor like that since I doubt I can even get it out of there without either snapping it off or having to heat up that glob to start with.

On another note, Doorman has the ABS sensors for $28.31 shipped:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-970-...FY3mQ8&vxp=mtr
For that price I'd replace both front sensors. The guy I bought my coach from told me WH wouldn't pay for his pads either. They DID replace the calipers and rotors all the way around. He only had 400 miles on the coach after the brake job, when I bought it. He said the dealer only charged him a $100.00 for the new pads, so he thought he got a deal. $100.00 for a complete brake job, he was happy, so am I.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #20

Just note that on any disk brake system they need to be maintained every 2 years regardless of how few miles you have driven. Maintenance includes flushing the brake fluid, cleaning the ABS sensors along with replacing the silicone grease on the calipers guides and pins after cleaning them. If you don't perform this maintenance or skimp and only flush the fluid without cleaning and lubing the caliper guides and pins you can still end up with sticking brake calipers especially up front where the wheels are dished in and leave the brake components more exposed to weather when parked.

I also like to pull forward and backward a few times making hard stops when taking a seldom used vehicle out after a period of sitting unused just to help break the calipers loose from sitting.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:28 AM   #21

Good point Neil, and it's on my list. Slowly going to accumulate things needed to get the tires off.....3/4" Impact, Sockets, at least one pair of 12 ton jack stands.

Still waiting on my concrete guy to squeeze me in to to put a slab in Sheila's carport which will make doing all this "maintenance mucho easier.....still pickin gravel out of my elbows.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Good point Neil, and it's on my list. Slowly going to accumulate things needed to get the tires off.....3/4" Impact, Sockets, at least one pair of 12 ton jack stands.

Still waiting on my concrete guy to squeeze me in to to put a slab in Sheila's carport which will make doing all this "maintenance mucho easier.....still pickin gravel out of my elbows.
A good impact wrench is critical to getting them off and a good torque wrench for putting them back on. If your impact wrench has difficulty be sure to check the regulator on your compressor to ensure that its up to the task of providing not only the pressure but air flow. With a good regulator even my oil lubed pancake roofing compressor will run my 650 ft lb impact wrench to remove even the most stubborn lugs while my 21 gallon oil lubed vertical compressor at first would not until I upgraded the regulator on it.

I had the brake pads delaminate on me while in the mountains of Alabama leaving me doing a brake job and replacing calipers (when the pads delaminated they tore out the boots on the pistons) out on an abandoned air field. It was great to have the pancake compressor and impact wrench with me and avoid the 100 mile tow to a service center capable of doing the work. Thankfully a local Napa was able to get the calipers and brake parts. I have a 2001 F53 so it was old school Kelsey Hayes Brakes and not Bosch. Old School works better for me perhaps that due to my age. ;^)

Tags
w22, brake