Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2005, 07:40 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just got off the phone with my contacts at Workhorse and here's the answer to the question that was posed;

"How do I know if I have Transynd in my Allison transmission from the factory?"

You have 100% Transynd installed in your W Series's Allison transmission if your motorhome has the following VIN# or higher.

5B4MP64G953409091

This VIN# was generated on 04/06/2005.

Thank you for the question.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2005, 07:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just got off the phone with my contacts at Workhorse and here's the answer to the question that was posed;

"How do I know if I have Transynd in my Allison transmission from the factory?"

You have 100% Transynd installed in your W Series's Allison transmission if your motorhome has the following VIN# or higher.

5B4MP64G953409091

This VIN# was generated on 04/06/2005.

Thank you for the question.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:54 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Is it the last 5 or 6 numbers or the entire VIN?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FloraBama:
Is it the last 5 or 6 numbers or the entire VIN? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Your specific chassis is identified by the last "six" numbers.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:44 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Sucks...That means I'm on standard fluid.

Thanks DriVer
Old 10-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
So change it, it's easy. I just did mine. The hard part was finding the Transyn.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If you go to a "Regional Allison Service Center" typically identified as "something DDA" (Detroit Diesel Allison) they have equipment there whereby they can power flush your transmission and refill it with Transynd.

I wouldn't go anywhere else other than a DDA for the service. I had mine done by Click here --&gt; Atlantic DDA in Middletown, CT
Old 10-09-2005, 06:15 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you go to a "Regional Allison Service Center" typically identified as "something DDA" (Detroit Diesel Allison) they have equipment there whereby they can power flush your transmission and refill it with Transynd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Driver, I did just that. Valley Power Inc. They wanted 600 to change it. They suggested to me that I do it myself. That by the second change as per the manual it will be 95%+. It cost me 160.00 verses 600.00. What do you think? I already have an extended warranty on the trans for 5 years, and because it is an 03 I do not qualify for the Allison warranty due to the change to Transyn. I'm sure there are a lot of other people in the same situation.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:57 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YosemiteBobR:
It cost me 160.00 verses 600.00. What do you think? I already have an extended warranty on the trans for 5 years, and because it is an 03 I do not qualify for the Allison warranty due to the change to Transynd. I'm sure there are a lot of other people in the same situation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well I didn't pay anywhere near $600 at the DDA, I can't figure it out.

I was charged for 13 quarts of fluid, a filter and labor. I had already drained and refilled my transmission once on my own. The wife and I went up the street to McDees and had a muffin and coffee and by the time we got back the MH was sitting out on the line.

The 2 change strategy works well I understand and is no doubt less expensive. I spoke with some Allison techs and they told me that a 2 change is effective so if that's the method you chose that works for me. They did suggest that I drop the pan in order to drain the remaining fluid. The pan gasket is reusable.

While at the DDA the tech there told me that they looked over the tranny as well and they found everything to be AOK, That's just an additional bennie when you have the DDA do the service.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:49 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know this has probably been asked before, so I will ask again. What is the big advantage of changing to transyn??? Is it only because of the possible extended warranty, or does the trans perform better??

2003 Bounder 35R
Father Mulcahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:58 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know this has probably been asked before, so I will ask again. What is the big advantage of changing to transyn??? Is it only because of the possible extended warranty, or does the trans perform better?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, It is so much better that Allison now installs it from the factory. Better lubricating properties all together, and extends it's warranty to boot. Even for those who still use Dextron III will benifit from it. Not that Destron III is not Ok to use as it is. I have the extended warranty with the Destron III, but I don't want to be without my coach for a transmission problem (possible) down the line. So if I can get better ware properties, I'll do it.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:20 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse must have lied to me. The told me it wasn't worth chaging over. Who do I believe???

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:21 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Tom, I dont' know the converstation you had with WorkHorse but they are not totally wrong. You have a warranty with Dextron III of 3 years, you have one with Transyn of 5 years. For those people caught in the middle I guess you could call it an insurance policy. As I said I'm covered for 5 years with Dextron III. I prefer after reading the info on the Allison Wedsite to change over.You do as you wish, we all do.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:11 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Workhorse must have lied to me. The told me it wasn't worth changing over. Who do I believe??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Luke, Use the force!

Let's go over some of Allison's public information releases about transmission fluids.

Transmission fluid exerts force to move internal transmission parts. It lubricates internal transmission parts while acting as a coolant to carry heat away from the transmission's clutches, torque converter, and retarder sections. The heat is extracted and the transmission fluid is cooled in the cooling circuit. Various filters, built into the system, keep the fluid clean and free of debris.

Transmission fluids are designed to stay in the transmission for long periods of time. The better the fluid quality, the less you will have to maintain it. Allison Transmission has worked with lubricant manufacturers and their scientists over the years to continuously improve automatic transmission fluids.

TranSyndTM heavy-duty automatic transmission fluid, a remarkable synthetic oil exclusively formulated by Castrol for Allison Automatics, extends Allison transmission oil drain intervals up to 400%.

TranSynd's viscosity stability and resistance to thermal breakdown protect your Allison Automatic far better, far longer. And TranSyndTM is highly resistant to oxidation, minimizing chances for sludge and varnish deposits.

You invested in Allison Automatics because you wanted your vehicles to be more productive, more profitable. New TranSyndTM transmission fluid not only protects your investment, it improves its return.

A scientific fact.

Tests prove that TranSyndTM will outperform other oils on every level:
"¢ Providing superior wear resistance
"¢ Extending drain intervals
"¢ Protecting other transmission components
"¢ Resisting oxidation and sheardown
"¢ Improving viscosity stability
"¢ Gears, bearings, bushings, clutches, thrustwashers and other
"¢ components benefit from improved viscosity stability and cooler lube oil.

The numbers prove it.

Extended oil change guidelines for TranSyndTM include 50,000 miles/24 months for Severe duty and for General duty, 100,000 miles/48 months, once a 90%+ fill of TranSyndTM has been reached. (Reference Allison Service Tip #1099B for more information on how to achieve the appropriate fill of TranSynd.) Compare that to conventional transmission fluid recommended changes of 12,000 miles/6 months for severe duty. And 25,000 miles/12 months for general duty.

So if you want to optimize the performance of your Allison Automatic, reduce operating expenses and improve life cycle costs of your vehicle, specify TranSyndTM transmission fluid.

For complete information and proof of TranSynd's superior protection and operating cost savings, call 1-888-ATF-LUBE.

Allison automatic transmissions provide the best productivity, the best driver performance, and the best service life costs of any transmission. New TranSyndTM transmission fluid makes the best even better.

Related Documents:
SA3239EN TranSyndTM Flyer (369 KB, PDF File)
Allison Service Tip #1099B - Revised Transmission Fluid and Fluid/Filter Change Recommendations

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can only assume that no one lied to you. Although I wasn't privileged to your conversation, What was said most likely alluded to the fact that the fluid that you have is adequate to service and operate your vehicle without going the added expense of changing your fluid at this time.

According to the Allison fluid change schedule posted here earlier, you may either elect to change the fluid and use Dextron III at the 25,000 point or at that time change over to Transynd. At least at that point you will have used the fluid you have and then you can upgrade if you so choose. Your WCC warranty requirement at this point is satisfied.

Upgrading to Transynd right now just gets you onboard the synthetic bandwagon a lot sooner and it's what most of the members here will recommend IF they also have upgraded to synthetic fluid.

You can use TES-295 approved fluid so I'm not pushing Transynd. Amsoil has published on their website that they are TES-295 compliant and their specifications appear to be somewhat better when compared to the Castrol product. Shop around get your best price and perhaps undertake this job yourself.

If not then you can certainly have your fluid changed by an Allison service center (DDA).