Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I need some advice from the gearheads on here.I have recently ordered a Winnebago Voyage 32H.She will be built on a Workhorse W-20 chassis,208" wheel base stretched to 220" by Winnebago.It seems to come with 19.5" wheels as standard equipment, with 22.5" wheels as an option.What are the pros and cons?I have no clue.My present M/H,and first,a Winne 30B Sightseer on a workhorse,has 19.5 wheels.Thanks for any insight!

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I need some advice from the gearheads on here.I have recently ordered a Winnebago Voyage 32H.She will be built on a Workhorse W-20 chassis,208" wheel base stretched to 220" by Winnebago.It seems to come with 19.5" wheels as standard equipment, with 22.5" wheels as an option.What are the pros and cons?I have no clue.My present M/H,and first,a Winne 30B Sightseer on a workhorse,has 19.5 wheels.Thanks for any insight!

Old 12-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If you have a choice go with the 22.5" wheels. The ride will be much better.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Whaler, I'd be a little leery with a Workhorse W-20 chassis wheel base stretched by Winnebago. I would check with Workhorse about the change.

Ed
Old 12-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The W20 is a P32 chasis, old school converted to wide track by welded extensions on front frame. It also has coil springs in the front with air bags in the coils.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
KCE

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The W20 is a P32 chasis, old school converted to wide track by welded extensions on front frame. It also has coil springs in the front with air bags in the coils. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not True a W20 has nothing to do with a P-32.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jeepster47:
Whaler, I'd be a little leery with a Workhorse W-20 chassis wheel base stretched by Winnebago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Winnebago Industries (WGO) is perhaps the best frame stretcher in the business because they do everything in house. I do not believe that a frame stretch is going to change the option from a 19 to a 22 inch tire unless the GVW goes from a W20 to a W21.

Opting for the W21 one can get more GVW and the 22.5" tires. There should be a relatively modest price bump from a 20 to a 21.

At this time I am not certain if WGO is building on the W21 so you may have to step up to a W22 to get the 22.5" rubber.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks guys! Yes it is a W-21 chassis.But my question is about the two different tires.Goodyear 245/70R19.5G,and Michelin 235/80R22.5LRG It makes sence that the bigger tire could ride softer,maybe last longer,fewer revolutions,but are thier any advantages for the bigger tire? My dealer says not to waste the money.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Whaler:
My dealer says not to waste the money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Unless your dealer is ridding inside your trousers he has nothing to say about the matter. Allow your "butt" dyno to show you the way. Take out 2 RVs for a test drive one with 19s and another with 22s and while remaining as objectionable as possible compare the 2 vehicles for ride quality. Go over the same identical roads and make sure there are potholes.

The fact that the Goodyear tires and the Michelin tires are both "G" rated is inconsequential. The size matters! Another upside is that you sit up higher off the ground so you can see more.

The downside is "IF" you have a short overhead in your parking garage the 22.5s might be too tall. What it boils down to is that your salesman probably has a 19 inch RV on the lot.

Tell your salesman to get a life - it's your money and your RV. You will be with this RV for many years - consider getting the bigger tires if you can.

Workhorse gas powered UFOs have 255-80R 22.5 inch tires for reason. The main reason is ride quality and weight carrying capacity. Bigger tires ride better.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:58 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Driver and others.I just got off the phone with my salesman.He is calling Winne to see if a serial number has come up on the build list yet.He is also going to add the bigger tires.I guees BIGGER is almost always'better'.With the full coach paint and the big wheels,it should be a good looking unit.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:07 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I guees BIGGER is almost always'better' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Whaler-

It is certainly true with TV's-- The older I get the bigger the TV's have to be to be. Since your having one built make sure you are getting LCD TV's that have the HD tuners built in to the TV's.

I vote for the 22.5's.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a winnebago stretched chassis and it is a lot thiner steel than the workhorse chassis and the left side is 3/4" higher than the right side on level concrete. I noticed while installing my rockguard. Its really a poor job of extending a chassis.
I go with 19",because you get a spare wheel and it's not so hard to change.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RON55:
I have a Winnebago stretched chassis and it is a lot thiner steel than the workhorse chassis and the left side is 3/4" higher than the right side on level concrete. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ron55, I just can't figure it out. You see I have been privileged to have been on the line at Winnebago Industries frame shop and I feel comfortable in sharing with you that from what I observed first hand it is practically impossible to get a Winnebago stretch job 3/4s of an inch higher on one side than the other.

The foreman I spoke with took pride in assuring and demonstrating to me that the components that are used are identical to the OEMs frame specs and he even shared with me that the drive shafts they use are better balanced that the originals.

If in fact you have this anomaly present on your 2005 Voyage this condition should be addressed immediately.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:23 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a '93 Minnie Winnie, 28' cl C. I never had a problem with the frame but I was surprised to see how 'underbuilt', (IMO) they are.
The original Ford chassis was made of 8" x 1/4" channel. Winnie butt welded a 4" channel(Maybe 6", can't remember, but it was much shorter, to it to make about a 8 0r 10' frame extension. It was simply butt welded on the top and side. They could'nt weld the bottom because it did'nt reach. No gussets, no splint, just the butt weld.
I guess I must over build things.
Oh yea, I remember when I was under it, I was also in awe when I saw how the box was raised above the frame. They used 1" x 1" angle iron, straight up, about every 24 or 30 inches, and that's what held the box up.
I'm not trying to bad mouth Winnie, I loved mine, and I'm sure they're built as well as any of them.
I know they try to keep the weight down but I was amazed that they thought or knew that was strong enough.
I'll have to look again but my Damons frame extension is tapered so it is full size of the WH frame where it is welded. Then it gets smaller , as it goes to the rear.

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote