Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #1

1985 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Track Bar

I'm pretty excited...I finally drove my rig for the first time, to see family but the drive had me on edge the whole time, and not because of the family.

Every time I hit a rut--steering correction.
Every time I was passed by a van, semi, bus--steering correction.
Every time I hit a gust of wind--steering correction.
Steering correction, steering correction, steering correction.

I believe the added weight from the full gas tank, located toward the rear of the vehicle, contributed to the issue because the swaying and steering corrections seemed to lessen toward the end of the trip, when the gas tank was less than half full.

I've heard of steering stabilizers, front track bars, and rear track bars. I'm thinking of getting a rear track bar first, since the rear sway seemed to be the worst of the issues, then perhaps getting a front track bar, then steering stabilizer later.

Do any of you have any product recommendations for a rear track bar for a 1985 Pace Arrow on a Chevy P30 Chassis?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #2

Easiest thing is check tire pressures... We also have a P30 (32) chassis... It was a Giant improvement when I installed Koni FSD shocks up front. I'd put them on the rear too, but they are not cheap... That along with Super Steer front coil springs at the same time was worth every penny !!! I drive a truck for a living, and couldn't believe the difference !!!!

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #3

Okay, awesome advice, especially coming from someone who drives a lot.

I JUST had all six of the tires installed, immediately before the trip, so I am hoping the shop checked the pressures but I should have checked before I drove off--I'll check the pressures again.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #4

Do you have manuals on the appliances, at 50000 miles my lower ball joints were shot mine is also a 1985 how about the GM chassis repair manual
Old 06-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #5

whem2fish, I do have manuals. Two Chevy P30 Chassis manuals, Pace Arrow owners manual, and lots of other wiring and plumbing diagrams.

My rig has 25k miles on it (it had been sitting in a garage since 1999 (14-15 years)). Can the lower ball joints wear out while the rig is sitting stationary? Based on your feedback, I will likely have a shop inspect the lower ball joints.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #6

Correct. Rear track bar first. I bought a Blue Ox Tiger Ttrack bar and am very satisfied with the handling improvement. Blue Ox - TigerTrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebootxl View Post
I'm pretty excited...I finally drove my rig for the first time, to see family but the drive had me on edge the whole time, and not because of the family.

Every time I hit a rut--steering correction.
Every time I was passed by a van, semi, bus--steering correction.
Every time I hit a gust of wind--steering correction.
Steering correction, steering correction, steering correction.

I believe the added weight from the full gas tank, located toward the rear of the vehicle, contributed to the issue because the swaying and steering corrections seemed to lessen toward the end of the trip, when the gas tank was less than half full.

I've heard of steering stabilizers, front track bars, and rear track bars. I'm thinking of getting a rear track bar first, since the rear sway seemed to be the worst of the issues, then perhaps getting a front track bar, then steering stabilizer later.

Do any of you have any product recommendations for a rear track bar for a 1985 Pace Arrow on a Chevy P30 Chassis?
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #7

Ok perfect. Thanks George--I'm happy to hear that you've experienced this and found a solution. Also great to get affirmation that this will help my issue, especially before committing to paying $500 to $600 dollars for this part.

George, did you install the TigerTrack yourself, or have someone else install it for you?
Old 06-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #8

I doubt they wore at that mileage but I would have the front end checked out mine drives fine I rebuilt the front end my toad is 5500 lbs google home made track bar then find a welder
Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 82 PA and I am going with the Koni's front and rear, haveing the Bell cranks replaced and add front and rear sway bars. I am also replacing all the tires .
I went around and made adjustments to the hub caps because some were not on center of the wheel and after, it road 100% better I couldn't believe it had that much of a affect on the ride.
I can't wait. I decided instead of a newer rig I am going to add these items. She looks good and has just 50,000 miles and everything works as it should.(except the gennie, fuel pump just went out) After a year or 2 of fulltiming I might start looking into a different rig. Check out Henderson under vendors
We get a lot of compliments on her,
Thanks for fixing up a old rig,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #10

Spiritz, I can totally feel your excitement! I found Henderson's under Vendors but couldn't find photos of your rig. Still, congratulations finding what sounds like a gem! I'm so happy with my Pace Arrow--they have so much personality and it's been relatively easy to fix. However, I do like the idea of the rigs with the semi-monocoque designs (improved rigidity and presumably improved handling) but this design approach looks like a high-end feature. Maybe one day.

Interesting that you mentioned your hub cap off-center (I'm interpreting you meant your hubcap was off center, radial center) but just this morning, as I was walking to my car for work, I noticed the rear outside wheels (I didn't check the front) slightly pushed inward from the rim. This sounds different than your issue but I'm wondering whether my issue was due to all the rear tail sway during my first drive (about 400 miles)? I don't recall it being like that after the mechanic installed the tires but I didn't pay enough attention because I was so excited to drive the thing for the first time.

Thanks for your experience and good luck with your 82 Pace Arrow. I think I will follow in your direction with the Konis and sways bars.

Tags
fleetwood, pace arrow