Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #1

1986 Itasca fuel pump relay

Hi All,
I have a 1986 itasca windcruiser, 454. I have an in tank pump that functions when power is put to it. The pump does not come on like it should for a few seconds when the key is turned on. The pump also does not run tith the engine running. I have tested the pump by running power to the brown and white wire at the top of the electrical bulkhead connector that leads to the inside mounted fuse box. No fuse is labeled fuel pump. The fuel pump relay is no longer made, and I don't know how to test one with a capacitor in it like this one. I'm lost. Any ideas?
Thank You Very Much,
Mike
Winnebeater2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #2

On my 1985 it is tied into the oil pressure switch so no oil pressure no power to the pump
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
On my 1985 it is tied into the oil pressure switch so no oil pressure no power to the pump
The capacitor in the now unobtainable fuel pump relay is supposed to run the pump for a few seconds to prime the system. That is part of what I am asking, is how to test that kind of relay. The newer computer controlled units use the ECM to power it on for prime.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #4

sorry no oil pressure no power let me look i may have manuals
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:36 PM   #5

I also have a 1986 windcruser with all manual s if u need a copy of any of them let me know
KALeslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #6

Youll find the fuel tank switch valve is no longer available
Old 03-21-2016, 11:33 PM   #7

Thank You all. I could sure use the manuals. My email is penningtonfab@gmail.com
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-22-2016, 05:25 AM   #8

Is yours a windcruser limited or just windcruser.. It'll be tomorrow before I can get the prints. Mines in the shop getting the
Breaks and new air bags. From what I can't remember mine doesn't have pumps in either tank.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALeslie View Post
Is yours a windcruser limited or just windcruser.. It'll be tomorrow before I can get the prints. Mines in the shop getting the
Breaks and new air bags. From what I can't remember mine doesn't have pumps in either tank.
It is a Windcruiser Limited. It has that darn unreliable LCD dash, which I am replacing. I have sent the fuel sending unit for tha main tank to Tristarr in New Your for rebuild. I am also replacing all of the fuel lines with AN-8. I have a ways to go yrt. Mostly waiting for parts.
Thanks Soooo Much,
Mike
Old 03-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #10

I'll get u some drawings tomorrow when I get mine back tomorrow. Do u know what #
Yours is. Don't know if u know they were only 200 of these made.one has around 78k
Of course none of the gauges work. I did get all manual s with it including build sheet with all part #
Old 03-23-2016, 04:24 AM   #11

Quote:
I'll get u some drawings tomorrow when I get mine back tomorrow. Do u know what #
Yours is. Don't know if u know they were only 200 of these made.one has around 78k
Of course none of the gauges work. I did get all manual s with it including build sheet with all part #
Don't know what number it is. I appreciate the manuals. They are great, but I have a lot of work to do on it.
Mike
Old 03-23-2016, 05:24 AM   #12

Winnebeater2 where are u located
Old 03-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Winnebeater2 where are u located
Hi,
I am in Susanville, California. 85 miles north of Reno, Nevada.
Mike
Old 03-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #14

I replaced my in tank fuel pump this past summer. I went to Carquest and did a comparison in their book. As far as the power going to the pump mine is a switch off of the oil pressure gauge line. The switch is located near the drivers side motor mount on a "T" with the oil gauge sending unit. The harder part was finding the "O" ring to seal up the sending unit on the tank. To drop the tank we used a hydraulic table. We still had a third of a tank of fuel in it.

Tags
itasca, fuel