Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2018, 11:43 PM   #1

1994 P-30 Vibration

For several months now we have had this vibration occur that becomes most noticeable at 50 mph to 60 mph. I have had all the tires replaced and balanced and several other maintenance items performed. So far nothing has effected it whatsoever. I did find a thread on here from a couple years ago that described the exact same issue but the poster never followed up with the resolution of the issue. I have had three different shops look at it and tell me two different causes, both of which didn't help.

The vibration is even throughout the entire coach so trying to discern if it is more to the front or rear is not possible. There is no vibration in the steering.

One issue that i saw mentioned was the drive shaft or one of them being out of balance. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

RickNau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I would start by taking a temp reading of all 4 wheels after a ride to rule out a brake hanging up slightly.
Check ride height., low ride height can change the pinion angle.
Next I would drop the drive shaft out to check that all the u joints are free, you can have it checked for balance at that time to.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:46 AM   #3

Drive shaft suspect.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:01 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to n0ukf Send a message via AIM to n0ukf Send a message via MSN to n0ukf Send a message via Yahoo to n0ukf Send a message via Skype™ to n0ukf
Driving my '97 Winnebago Adventurer 34 ('96 Chevy chassis) 200 miles home from the dealer a few weeks ago I noticed the same, vibration building around 60 (another lower vibe in the 30s). At any given driving speed I noticed that the vibration was less when going downhill and more uphill. I also suspect the driveshaft or universals. Checking at home we didn't find any sign of loose (worn) unis.
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ukf View Post
Driving my '97 Winnebago Adventurer 34 ('96 Chevy chassis) 200 miles home from the dealer a few weeks ago I noticed the same, vibration building around 60 (another lower vibe in the 30s). At any given driving speed I noticed that the vibration was less when going downhill and more uphill. I also suspect the driveshaft or universals. Checking at home we didn't find any sign of loose (worn) unis.

That would indicate a load vs no load scenario. Drive shaft out of balance.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #6

Get your rig up to speed and when it starts to vibrate, just barely push on the brake pedal. Just take up the little play thatís in it, not enough to apply the brakes but just for the brake light to come on. This will take the transmission torque converter out of lock up. If the vibration goes away or gets less vibration, your driveshaft needs to be rebuilt as you have a u-joint out.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
Get your rig up to speed and when it starts to vibrate, just barely push on the brake pedal. Just take up the little play thatís in it, not enough to apply the brakes but just for the brake light to come on. This will take the transmission torque converter out of lock up. If the vibration goes away or gets less vibration, your driveshaft needs to be rebuilt as you have a u-joint out.
AND/OR a bow'd driveshaft(out of balance) which is what I found on our former coach ('99 35' on a GM P-30 chassis)
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #8

If the driveshaft thru a spot welded weight off, you'd see the footprint where it was.....look to see if all u joint are lined up...if a multi piece driveshaft...
Old 06-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #9

454 Chevrolet flexplates have tendency to crack.I would check everything that was mentioned here,then check flexplate.there should be inspection plate that can be removed from underneath.with flashlight and mirror you will be able to see cracks around bolt holes.....ken
kenautoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #10

I had a similar vibration on mine . It was the 2 rear U joints on the driveshaft. They looked fine on the outside ,but when I took them apart the bearings had worn into the crosses . replaced them and no more vibration.
If the vibration changes when power is applied or removed, it is likely in the drivetrain.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
I had a similar vibration on mine . It was the 2 rear U joints on the driveshaft. They looked fine on the outside ,but when I took them apart the bearings had worn into the crosses . replaced them and no more vibration.
If the vibration changes when power is applied or removed, it is likely in the drivetrain.
Had the same issue on our 98. Had all the U joints checked and drive shaft balance checked. No change. I had suspected a warped brake rotor. I had the brake rotors and claipers replaced and the vibration for the most part is gone. Still happens occasionally but goes away depending on road conditions.

Tags
vibration