RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
1995 P32, Front Camber & Shocks

1995 Fleetwood Flair on a Chevy P32. Front airbags were replaced about a year ago. Old front tires (primwell valera HT, made in china) are from 2013 and had significant inside wear. Here are the old front tires (L/R):

I just put on new tires all around and want to reduce the edge wear in front as much as possible. I looked through the Chevy Chassis Service Manual and it doesn't mention any camber adjustments, is it adjustable? Or it just an issue of weight shift during braking/cornering/normal driving? Would newer shocks help with that? Does anyone make spring assisted shock absorbers for the P32, or should I just go with Koni FSBs that everyone seems to be using?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Find a truck place that uses laser based alignment equipment attached to the wheel rims. Old fashion mechanically based methods using the tires did not work well at all on my P32 (3 attempts that resulted in badly worn tires). The angles are very small and only precision laser equipment can do it properly. All three (caster, camber and toe-in/out) are adjustable and the adjustment process does interact with one another. Get the correct values from Workhorse. The mechanic may use generic values for the older P30 chassis that do not apply to your motor home.
Looking at your tires it is obvious that your toe-in/out is off.
Stay away from mechanical alignment systems.

garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The equipment is only as good as the operator.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
As said above take it to a truck alignment shop, most tire shops can recommend the good ones.
From the wear I see and from my own experience with our 1995 chassis you will find some worn parts.
For what its worth if you can, replace all of the tie rod ends and sleeves before you take it in.
Mine had worn ball joints X4 and worn links as well.
Mr.Geritol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #5

If you find the coach needs new ball joints, be aware there are two different styles for the P-32 chassis. One for older chassis with front disc brakes and rear drum brakes, and a different one for newer version with 4 wheel disc brakes. A local shop mistakenly installed ball joints for the older chassis on my 1995 motorhome, and after several years the smaller part fractured. Fortunately, we were going very slow when the front wheel came loose
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Scary story George!

Thanks for the wisdom everyone. According to the records it did get 4 new ball joints at the same time as the new air bags a little while before I bought it, the tires would have been a couple years old already. Maybe the problem is already solved and it's just old wear?

I'll definitely take it in to get the alignment checked.

As for the shocks, they look original, with 80K miles they are probably long overdue. Are there spring assist shocks that fit front of the P30 or should I get Konis?
Old 05-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Alpine Owners Club
We have years of experience with the P chassis, The tire wear shown is quite common, as the ride height settles, the camber goes negative and they toe out. These are the specs we recommend with the proper ride height of 1.75-2.5" : LF camber=0.25 degree
RF camber=0.00 degree
Caster =4.5/6.0 degrees with 1.0/1.50 more on the right (6.0 max on right)
total toe= 0.25 inches
this is based on the proper ride height
SuperSteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #8

Like you said made in China
Old 03-18-2017, 06:22 AM   #9

Scrap the factory settings and listen to supersteer......I did and it made all the difference in the world.......real world experience vs an engineer with a piece of paper in a room running theoreticals.
the best alignment shop in my town, Jacksonville, fl, Coastal, has their own "real world experience" book of settings on all vehicles......not always, but on trucks the factory settings usually are not optimal, and sometimes very far from it.....

Tags
p32, shocks