Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #1

1996 Bounder Auto Park Problem

Hi. New member and just read some old threads on my concern. I have a 1996 Bounder with Auto Park problem. It appears that you can disable the Auto Park and still have a parking brake since the parking brake cable and the Auto Park cable join. Yes or No?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're glad you joined the bunch here! I can't help on your question but maybe somebody will have the answer. Good luck & God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #3

Hi, I also have a 96 bounder. I don't think the auto park has anything to do with the park brake as the auto park applies the brakes through your regular brake system but if your park brake pedal feels like it has pressure on it when you apply it then you should be ok with just it. I am still learning about this myself.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #4

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to the forum!!!

It depends on your chassis, do you have a ford or Chevy? If you have the P30 Chevy chassis, the auto park brake is the ONLY parking brake you have. It is a drum style brake attached to the drive line directly behind the transmission. You will have a fluid reservoir on the passenger side frame rail about mid frame. If this is your type rig you need to contact roger Haag (old used bear) he is the expert.

The weight of your MH won't allow for a parking pawl like traditional transmissions. So the parking brake is the brake attached to the drive shaft and it is controlled by the APB system and the parking brake foot pedal- they are inter connected so disconnecting one will allow you to move but will not allow you to stay still unless wheels are chocked both sides.

Of course the above only applies based on the Chevy chassis as far as I know.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Seperate from foot park

If your rig is as mine is.. (1995 chevy P30), you will have the ability to disable the auto park from the manual park (foot pedal) brake. If you follow the auto park cable from the pump/ reservoir area, towards the front and then up and over the bell housing of the tranny then back down under the back of the drivers seat area, it will then attach to a "lever". there are 2 of these "levers" that are both attached to the drum brake cable going back to the actual drum brake. At the bottom of these "levers" there is a bolt that attaches them to a bracket mounted to the frame. If you remove this bolt, both levers will be disabled. BE VERY CAREFUL!! THE RIG CAN/ WILL ROLL AT THIS POINT!!! Place wheel chocks before beginning this project! The foot brake "lever" (if the foot pedal isn't applied) will be pretty easy to pull back into position so the bolt can be re-installed thus making the foot brake useable again. Make sure to unplug the pump motor and the solenoid valve coil to prevent unnecessary wear/ usage of them. MAKE SURE TO APPLY THE FOOT BRAKE WHEN STOPPING! We are in the process of acquiring parts for our autopark as I type this. We were stranded for about 6 hours on the side of the road until I did enough testing and checking to figure out how to disable this thing. It is at home now waiting for the cure! (solenoid valve and coil) Good luck!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #6

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit
If your rig is as mine is.. (1995 chevy P30), you will have the ability to disable the auto park from the manual park (foot pedal) brake. If you follow the auto park cable from the pump/ reservoir area, towards the front and then up and over the bell housing of the tranny then back down under the back of the drivers seat area, it will then attach to a "lever". there are 2 of these "levers" that are both attached to the drum brake cable going back to the actual drum brake. At the bottom of these "levers" there is a bolt that attaches them to a bracket mounted to the frame. If you remove this bolt, both levers will be disabled. BE VERY CAREFUL!! THE RIG CAN/ WILL ROLL AT THIS POINT!!! Place wheel chocks before beginning this project! The foot brake "lever" (if the foot pedal isn't applied) will be pretty easy to pull back into position so the bolt can be re-installed thus making the foot brake useable again. Make sure to unplug the pump motor and the solenoid valve coil to prevent unnecessary wear/ usage of them. MAKE SURE TO APPLY THE FOOT BRAKE WHEN STOPPING! We are in the process of acquiring parts for our autopark as I type this. We were stranded for about 6 hours on the side of the road until I did enough testing and checking to figure out how to disable this thing. It is at home now waiting for the cure! (solenoid valve and coil) Good luck!
Please remember that one of the cables is under a tremendous amount of strain and could seriously injure you if done wrong! Contact roger for needed documents.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #7

Hello Plummit! thanks for that info, I am going to check mine out as soon as I get a chance
Mine is a p32 chassis and I don't believe there is a brake drum on the back of the tranny
but the p.o. changed out the tranny for a bigger one I will get it down to the shop and have a look if I can ever get out of my "winter MH" to do all that BTY. winter MH has a big "cat" and can be found touring up and down the Alaska highway!
Old 06-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #8

Thanks for the welcome
F.R.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for your response:
I do have the P30 Chev and there IS a foot brake as well as the AP. Just got back from a vacationa dn bought a new switch (just in case). No problem this time, however, down the road I think that I will disable the AP and rely solely on the footbrake.
Thanks again everyone.......
F.R.

Tags
bounder