Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2015, 10:18 PM   #1

1998 Adventurer - DC/AC TV Inverter not working

So I was plugged into shore power at home and turned on the vacuum. Like a dummy i didn't realize I had some other stuff on and it popped the breaker. This has happened a few times at home on 110V but this time the power inverter for the TV (So you can watch TV while driving without running generator) will not cut back on.

I have searched high and low for breakers/fuses no luck.

-Under dash left of stearing, all fuses OK
-Under refrigerator all breakers and fuses OK
-Circuit breaker on actual inverter is not tripped
-GFI is NOT tripped on inverter

The only thing I can think of is maybe there is a inline fuse somewhere. Under the engine hood (This is a chevy chassis) top right there is some fused links. I'm not sure how to test or replace those as they seem to be inline with the wire. Could one of those be it?

I have tested the DC at the back of the inverter and its not getting any 12V. So I know the problem is somewhere a popped fuse or something. The TV works fine thru the inverter when AC is plugged into shore or generator is running.

I'm a EE so know a little bit about electricity but RV'in is pretty new to me. Please help! Thanks,

-Phil
vtphilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtphilk View Post
So I was plugged into shore power at home and turned on the vacuum. Like a dummy i didn't realize I had some other stuff on and it popped the breaker. This has happened a few times at home on 110V but this time the power inverter for the TV (So you can watch TV while driving without running generator) will not cut back on.

I have searched high and low for breakers/fuses no luck.

-Under dash left of stearing, all fuses OK
-Under refrigerator all breakers and fuses OK
-Circuit breaker on actual inverter is not tripped
-GFI is NOT tripped on inverter

The only thing I can think of is maybe there is a inline fuse somewhere. Under the engine hood (This is a chevy chassis) top right there is some fused links. I'm not sure how to test or replace those as they seem to be inline with the wire. Could one of those be it?

I have tested the DC at the back of the inverter and its not getting any 12V. So I know the problem is somewhere a popped fuse or something. The TV works fine thru the inverter when AC is plugged into shore or generator is running.

I'm a EE so know a little bit about electricity but RV'in is pretty new to me. Please help! Thanks,

-Phil
Hi Phil, and WELCOME to iRV2.com

I'm NOT an EE, but I don't think the inverter was provided so you can watch TV going down the road. In fact, most modern coaches have a lock-out feature that prevents the TV from being on if the ignition switch is moved to the on position.

If there is no 12V power INPUT to the inverter, then I think it is safe to assume the problem is between the batteries and the inverter. My inverter has a reset button, which I've had to use a few times when I wasn't getting the 120V output, but I doubt that can be your problem if you are missing the input.

Make sure to retry turning ON the house battery disconnect switch, usually found near the entry door.

FYI, there is a forum for WBGO owners here as well, but I'm NOT suggesting you repost your question there, 'cause I get in trouble with the mods when I do that. Rather, I'm suggesting you use the "search this forum" function at the WBGO forum to find other ideas about your problem.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the mystery wire club. On another issue I was just as frustrated as you might be. So I bought a tone based wire tracer at Lowes. Then I found a relay hanging out of sight upside down from the top of the engine compartment filled with water. I would have never found the problem without the tracer.
Have a good hunt.
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
See this section for help locating the fuse.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/winn...ogs-19250.html
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #5

well i still have yet to find the fuse. I traced the wire and its a purple and green large guage wire (Like 10aug) and runs down the front right piler then to the dash. I lost it in the dash but pretty sure it does not goto the fuse panel. My latest guess is maybe it goes right to the alternator or engine so i'm trying to figure out how to open the engine compartment.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #6

Ok..after hours of searching i found the dang thing. It was in the fuse box under the dash. No idea how i missed it but there was a 25 amp fuse that was way at the top of the panel. Not sure if i didn't get to it when i didn't have the dash completely pulled back or what but i thought i had tested every fuse in the panel.

At least now i know how to take the engine cover off, test fuseable links..and take the dash completely apart haha

Tags
inverter, vent