Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #1

We are serioulsly considering the purchase of a 1998 Winnebago Chieftain on a chev 21,000lb P30 chassis,7.4L vortec engine, allison at542 4 speed tranny (not shure if this qualifies as a Workhorse Chassis or not).

I'm interested in comments about this unit, by current and previous owners.

I'm a little concern about the non lockup torque converter, in the allison tranny.

Would also like to know what rpm this combination runs at in 55 to 60 mph range.

And also the manditory "what kind of gas milleage" to expect.

I'm hoping to take the unit out for a test drive this weekend.

Appreciate any info you can contribute.

Thanks
Marqui
Winnipeg Manitoba.
Marqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #2

We are serioulsly considering the purchase of a 1998 Winnebago Chieftain on a chev 21,000lb P30 chassis,7.4L vortec engine, allison at542 4 speed tranny (not shure if this qualifies as a Workhorse Chassis or not).

I'm interested in comments about this unit, by current and previous owners.

I'm a little concern about the non lockup torque converter, in the allison tranny.

Would also like to know what rpm this combination runs at in 55 to 60 mph range.

And also the manditory "what kind of gas milleage" to expect.

I'm hoping to take the unit out for a test drive this weekend.

Appreciate any info you can contribute.

Thanks
Marqui
Winnipeg Manitoba.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steady Eddie:

Hey there--

You are in luck (I think )...

We have one..the Chassis is a P12 Chevy.
The Allison shifts--well--just like a big truck,
HARD..no slippage. It shifts up at 2600 RPM and
in town, between stoplights it never upshifts out of second gear. If it has 19.5" tires it then has the 4.78 to 1 rear end ratio. If it has
22.5" tires then it has 5.13 to 1 ratio.
Ours is the 4.78 geared, 19.5 tire Chassis and
it runs 2850 rpms @ 60 MPH. We wanted two-slides, gel-coat sidewalls, and Chevrolet and we
looked for 2 1/2 years and only ever found two
P12s for sale, one way back east, and the other,
was the Newmar Kountry Star 3357, which we bought. Please visit my new P12 site on Yahoo! Groups. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #4

Marqui you do not have an Allison Trans. in a P chassis. You get the old Chevy 4 spd trans. That chassis was still mfg. by Chevy. Even WH used the Chevy 4 spd in the P chassis when they took it over.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:23 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steady Eddie:

Hey there--

You are in luck (I think )...

We have one..the Chassis is a P12 Chevy.
The Allison shifts--well--just like a big truck,
HARD..no slippage. It shifts up at 2600 RPM and
in town, between stoplights it never upshifts out of second gear. If it has 19.5" tires it then has the 4.78 to 1 rear end ratio. If it has
22.5" tires then it has 5.13 to 1 ratio.
Ours is the 4.78 geared, 19.5 tire Chassis and
it runs 2850 rpms @ 60 MPH. We wanted two-slides, gel-coat sidewalls, and Chevrolet and we
looked for 2 1/2 years and only ever found two
P12s for sale, one way back east, and the other,
was the Newmar Kountry Star 3357, which we bought. Please visit my new P12 site on Yahoo! Groups. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the prompt reply.You're bang on with those spec's. This unit is a 1998 35foot Winnebago Chieftain that has the 19.5 inch wheels and 4.78 rear.
Do those high rpm numbers bother you (noise wise that is) when you are driving the coach? Does it affect gas milleage by much? I'm more concerned with getting a good chassis than terrific mpg, but I do live and travel in Canada an fuel is expensive.
How is the drivebiliy on these chassis?
Can you tell me what kind of gas milleage you are getting with your's?
Old 05-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
Marqui you do not have an Allison Trans. in a P chassis. You get the old Chevy 4 spd trans. That chassis was still mfg. by Chevy. Even WH used the Chevy 4 spd in the P chassis when they took it over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm afraid I do! That comes right from Winnebago. I called them and gave them the vin# and the nice man faxed me a whole bunch of stuff about the coach. So far I like there customer service.

Marqui
Old 05-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #7

I still have my '96 Pace Arrow with the 454 Vortec and the 4 speed. Going a steady 62mph (100kmh) and towing a PT Cruiser behind I get 8.25 over the whole past year. Every drop of gas or anything that goes into an engine is recorded for my vehicles so that is a 12 month average including Ontario to Florida and Michigan as home. Even though mine is a clear Chevrolet on the chassis the parts now come through the Workhorse dealer network.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #8

I have a '98 Brave on a P30 (actually P32) chassis and really like it. The front end of mine seems to be about 2" low, but I think I can solve that when I replace the front coil springs with the super steer springs sometime in the future. Engine runs great and is not overly loud during normal cruising speeds. Hard acceleration does generate plenty of noise from that powerful engine. I am getting about 8mpg on ours.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:37 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to test drive it tommorow, if the rain can hold off.
Bsinmich and Kazoo Tom, do you have overdrive trannies or the allison in your rigs.

Thanks
Marqui
Old 05-13-2006, 05:04 AM   #10

My transmission has overdrive. I couldn't begin to tell you wether it is GM or Allison. I do know that it seems to work great. Shifts smoothly and positively, no problems so far.

Depending on the mileage of the rig you are testing you are more likely to have problems caused by the bell cranks, springs, underinflated air bags and shocks. All these items easily corrected.

Mine had only 21,000 miles on it when I got it. The air bags were underinflated and it handled like a dog. When I filled the airbags it was like the difference between night and day. Mine tracks fine so I think the bell cranks are ok for now, but plan on replacing them in the future as they wear out. Same with the front springs and airbags.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #11

"Thanks for the prompt reply.You're bang on with those spec's. This unit is a 1998 35foot Winnebago Chieftain that has the 19.5 inch wheels and 4.78 rear.
Do those high rpm numbers bother you (noise wise that is) when you are driving the coach? Does it affect gas milleage by much? I'm more concerned with getting a good chassis than terrific mpg, but I do live and travel in Canada an fuel is expensive.
How is the drivebiliy on these chassis?
Can you tell me what kind of gas milleage you are getting with your's?"

Does your Chassis have an I-beam front end?
If it has the I-beam front axle AND the AT542 Allison
then it IS the very rare and unique P12 Chassis.
We usually tow a 4000# Jeep GCL, and I have never
checked the gas mileage. It is very quiet on the road,
and towing speed is 55 MPH. The rig's quietness is
probably due to Newmar's sound deadening more than
anything else.

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:29 AM   #12

I have the GM transmission. Engine noise is not a problem. I usually drive 58-62MPH. Going uphill with cruise on it will sometimes downshift to a lower gear if I get below 50 mph. Then the noise gets a little high. I don't have a tach so I don't know the actual RPM. I would have to add a quart of oil after about 3000 miles up to 50,000. Since 50,000 I don't have to add before the 4000 mile change. I use Mobil 1 since I bought it.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:51 AM   #13

Thanks for the replies, you folks are great, but I regret to have to announce that the deal did not materialize. Upon close inspection and test drive I discovered that all tires would need to be changed, the the supension needed work (leaky front shock, probably new bushings), and maybe it was just me but I expected a better noise level during travel than my 1992 shasta class c motorhome. All and all agreement could not be reached on a deal, which is unfortunate, because we really like the units layout and style.
Maybe I'm only going to find what we want in a diesel pusher. I guess I'm going to have to save my coins for a few more years if that's the case.;-)

Thanks again for all your input.

Marqui
Old 05-16-2006, 07:55 AM   #14

Don't let yourself get too discouraged, keep looking. I'm sure you will stumble across something that fits your needs. We looked on and off for several years until the one we have now just kinda "popped up". We really weren't even looking to buy at the time, just killing time looking. We spotted this on, the right deal at the right time.