Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

1998 Chevy P3 Air Filter Housing Replacement

I need to replace the air filter housing on my 1998 Chevy P3 Forward Control Chassis ('99 Winnie Brave SE). It was damaged when the right front tire tread separated (bought the rig used, no record of how old the tire was...learned the hard way). Questions: 1) General mechanical question: the fasteners (screws) that hold the housing to a sub-frame have no slots for a screwdriver!!! I suppose I can drill the lower ones out, but the top ones will be a pain. 2) Is there a web resource where I can buy an air filter housing assembly. The housing takes the rectangular Fram CA3914 filter element, which I believe is the "VIN J". My VIN is 1GBJP37J7W331XXXX. Thanks for the help, folks!
Yogisurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #2

Just checked K&N's site. Seems they only have a filter to go in the stock housing, not a complete replacement set-up.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #3

That may be a salvage yard part. I'd try a GM dealer and if they don't have the part anymore they can tell you what vehicles besides the P3 chassis the housing went on. Then start the hunt.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #4

Thanks. Checking with dealer first.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #5

Let us know what you find out. I am sure that is one of those things someone else needs or could eventually need.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #6

Chevrolet no longer makes the air filter housing. Workhorse, however, does carry the part. Most workhorse parts can only be purchased through a dealer, they only sell a few parts online (shocks, etc.). The cost was $281 plus. My dealer (A Chevy dealer) was able to fax me a schematic of the housing. I'll update after installation.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #7

I think if I wasn't in a rush I'd try junk yards for the price. It wouldn't have to be an RV, just something with the same chassis.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogisurf View Post
I need to replace the air filter housing on my 1998 Chevy P3 Forward Control Chassis ('99 Winnie Brave SE). It was damaged when the right front tire tread separated (bought the rig used, no record of how old the tire was...learned the hard way). Questions: 1) General mechanical question: the fasteners (screws) that hold the housing to a sub-frame have no slots for a screwdriver!!! I suppose I can drill the lower ones out, but the top ones will be a pain. 2) Is there a web resource where I can buy an air filter housing assembly. The housing takes the rectangular Fram CA3914 filter element, which I believe is the "VIN J". My VIN is 1GBJP37J7W331XXXX. Thanks for the help, folks!
Just wanted to comment on the tires and to say that there is a perfect record on every tire as to how old it is. It's the last 3 or 4 digits of the DOT number located on one side or the other..... clickity.... Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #9

Job done! I did not have to remove the RF wheel. The old housing was held on by rivets. I used a rotozip with a diamond wheel to cut through the rivets holding on the old housing. A rivet remnant, a corner of it glowing red hot, let loose and went down my T-shirt neck hole. Reacted by jerking my head up, hitting my head on the undercarriage. Only a small burn. I used four 1/4X1.5 nuts and bolts to attached the housing instead of rivets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130202 Winnie New Air Filter Housing2.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	32937   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130202 Winnie New Air Filter Housing3.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	32938  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130202 Winnie New Air Filter Housing4.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	32939   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130202 Winnie New Air Filter Housing5.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	32940  

Old 02-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #10

Trop, thanks for the tip on DOT date codes. My brand new BF Goodrich tires (6) were recalled and I just got 6 more!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogisurf View Post
Trop, thanks for the tip on DOT date codes. My brand new BF Goodrich tires (6) were recalled and I just got 6 more!
Good deal and glad to be of help....
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement