Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #1

1st trip, vibration P32

So I just took my first trip in the new to me 01 R vision P32 from Va to Daytona. I did have a vibration at speed and need to see what it might be. I have seen a lot of posts that WHC was fixing a lot of problems on some of the motor homes. Since mine is a 2001 I wonder how much help they might be. I did install 6 new Hercules tires and had them spin balanced. Some of the wheels where bent so I wonder is that is some of the issue. I need to check the U joints and center bearing to see if they look ok. It did seem like the the vibration was worse at the start of the trip. There was more when passing large trucks or being passed by them. Count not tell if that was a vibration or more wind buffeting. Since this was my first trip I did not pay a lot of attention to the speed but most of the trip was at 60 to 70 MPH. One other thing that I have notice and need to research is that the right rear corner seems to be lower then the left rear also.
Bretrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi-
Sounds as though you might have a "compound" problem. My 2001 R-Vision (241T) is as smooth as silk, so I know it's probably not design-related.

If you've had "bent wheels" that would be my first point of close inspection; when it comes to wheels, round is better

As to some frame sag (one corner lower than another) that could be attributed to frame damage (hope not) suspension damage/failure (hope not) improper loading. You might also check the front coil airbags to make sure they're properly inflated (at least 50psi on both).

Finally, as you've had all the tires changed, make sure they're all properly inflated (and remain inflated). I had a supposed "professional" tire store check inflation on one of my previous m/h and when I got it home found out they'd deflated the tires to 35 psi rather than the minimum 55 psi specified by the vehicle manufacturer. When it comes to maintenance: trust but verify

All the best with it. They're very nice rigs.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #3

A bent rim will cause vibration if it distorts the tire. Will provide a wobble similar to ply separation.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
Hi-
Sounds as though you might have a "compound" problem. My 2001 R-Vision (241T) is as smooth as silk, so I know it's probably not design-related.

If you've had "bent wheels" that would be my first point of close inspection; when it comes to wheels, round is better

As to some frame sag (one corner lower than another) that could be attributed to frame damage (hope not) suspension damage/failure (hope not) improper loading. You might also check the front coil airbags to make sure they're properly inflated (at least 50psi on both).

Finally, as you've had all the tires changed, make sure they're all properly inflated (and remain inflated). I had a supposed "professional" tire store check inflation on one of my previous m/h and when I got it home found out they'd deflated the tires to 35 psi rather than the minimum 55 psi specified by the vehicle manufacturer. When it comes to maintenance: trust but verify

All the best with it. They're very nice rigs.

I plan on replacing the wheels when I find some. Did not know I had air bags in the front. Set the tire pressures when I mounted them but need to check again to make sure they are still good. Right now it is sitting on an on even surface so need to check it on level ground. To me it is leaning more then the pavement. Once I get a dry warm day I will crawl under it an look around.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #5

does anyone have a good source for replacement wheels? wonder how much they are? new or used
Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretrx7 View Post
I plan on replacing the wheels when I find some. Did not know I had air bags in the front.
There's an airbag inside each of the front coil springs with the air fitting at the bottom. I note from another forum that you have a rig with the AAPB (Automatic Parking Brake) and that means your GVWR is heavier than mine. So according to my P32 WH manual (pp72 if you have yours) the air bag inflation specs for the various front GAWR (Gross axle weight rating) are:

GAWR 4300-5000lb = 50 psi
GAWR 5300lb = 70 psi
GAWR 5500lb= 90 psi
GAWR 6000lb= 110 psi

The manual also notes that you can increase/decrease air pressure in order to level the vehicle.

And I'm with 'ya on waiting for it to warm up. -5 degrees with a -18 wind chill as I write this.

Happy Trails
Old 02-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
There's an airbag inside each of the front coil springs with the air fitting at the bottom.

I should add that if there aren't any airbags in your front coil springs, one of the prior owners has replaced the OEM coil springs with aftermarket units. Typically the aftermarket springs are thicker and don't have enough interior clearance to reinstall the OEM airbags.

Mixed reviews on airbag suspensions. I had a 1976 GMC 26' Palm Beach Class A and the GMC's relied entirely on airbag suspension for the rear wheels (no springs). Never had a problem. Similarly I've driven OTR commercial rigs with airbag suspensions without any problems and performed thousands of CVSA inspections on all manner of commercial vehicles. Airbags do fail (what doesn't?) but the problems are not nearly as endemic as some threads might indicate.

In any case, good luck with your rig
Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
I should add that if there aren't any airbags in your front coil springs, one of the prior owners has replaced the OEM coil springs with aftermarket units. Typically the aftermarket springs are thicker and don't have enough interior clearance to reinstall the OEM airbags.

Mixed reviews on airbag suspensions. I had a 1976 GMC 26' Palm Beach Class A and the GMC's relied entirely on airbag suspension for the rear wheels (no springs). Never had a problem. Similarly I've driven OTR commercial rigs with airbag suspensions without any problems and performed thousands of CVSA inspections on all manner of commercial vehicles. Airbags do fail (what doesn't?) but the problems are not nearly as endemic as some threads might indicate.

In any case, good luck with your rig
With the cold I did check and do have the air bags. I have not check the pressure yet.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We recently purchased a used car for my grand daughter that had a bent wheel in the rear.

It was an aluminum wheel so we got it repaired and it cured the odd vibration right away.

I'd be curious to know how the wheel on yours got bent. That took some doing I'm sure.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #10

So I got a chance today to look under the coach. When I try to fill the airbags on the front springs they just leaked out . I'm going to schedule to have them replaced and maybe the shops also. I am hoping that will take care of the vibration
Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #11

So I have done a bit of calling around and what a surprise on the replies I got. Call a big RV place about an hour a way and they quoted about 2.5 to 3 hours at $125 an hour plus about $140 for the air bags. Called Camping world they said about an hour and $400 for parts. Sounds like some have replaced the bags themselves so how hard and where did you find the replacements?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #12

My front bags were about &100 airlift for a beginner it can be done in 2 to 4 hours not hard
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
My front bags were about &100 airlift for a beginner it can be done in 2 to 4 hours not hard
Thanks did you buy them from air lift?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #14

I replaced my rigs airbagsback in November. They were Airlift 1000's and I got them through the local NAPA store for $119. Took me about 6 hours for each side. Probably would have been quicker if the rig was on a lift. There is also a trick to colapsing/folding the new bag in order to insert it through the hole in the bottom of the lower control arm.

Tags
vibration