RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #1

2001 Workhorse w22 brake system

Hey everyone, so today I was looking underneath my Dash just because I wanted to and I push my brake pedal with my hand. Yeah I worked on a lot of vehicles in my time big and small, but never worked on an RV with the workhorse w22 chassis. So while looking under my Dash they just happen to push my brake pedal with my hand curious and it made an electric almost like hydraulic press sound. So my question is is that normal I tried looking up underneath there through the wires and brackets I couldn't see anything. Now this brake system I have no idea about I need to learn more about it. I dunno it has the recall it hasn't been done which is coming soon as I can find somebody around here what does the recall have anything to do with the anti-lock brakes because my lights on?
So just to recap 2 questions.
1 why does my brakes make an electric hydraulic sound when I push them when the Harvey is not even on?

2 does the brake recall on these workhorse chassis affect the anti-lock brakes?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not a Workhorse guy, but it may be a "Hydro-max" power brake system.

This uses the power steering pump as the source for the boost for the power brakes. In an emergency (engine not running) this system has either an electric pump to supply the boost pressure, OR, a small accumulator bottle to supply the boost pressure.

I believe the "Hydro-Max" is the system that uses an electric pump as the emergency, and the "Hydro-boost" uses an accumulator for emergency.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-rector View Post
Hey everyone, so today I was looking underneath my Dash just because I wanted to and I push my brake pedal with my hand. Yeah I worked on a lot of vehicles in my time big and small, but never worked on an RV with the workhorse w22 chassis. So while looking under my Dash they just happen to push my brake pedal with my hand curious and it made an electric almost like hydraulic press sound. So my question is is that normal I tried looking up underneath there through the wires and brackets I couldn't see anything. Now this brake system I have no idea about I need to learn more about it. I dunno it has the recall it hasn't been done which is coming soon as I can find somebody around here what does the recall have anything to do with the anti-lock brakes because my lights on?
So just to recap 2 questions.
1 why does my brakes make an electric hydraulic sound when I push them when the Harvey is not even on?

2 does the brake recall on these workhorse chassis affect the anti-lock brakes?
What Waiter said is correct.

The most likely reason for the ABS light to be on is one or more of the ABS wheel sensors is damaged from overheating, especially if the Bosch brake recall has not yet been done. Unfortunately, the recall only pays for the parts and labor to R & R the calipers, and some DOT 3 fluid to bleed the brakes after the new calipers are installed. IF needed, pads, rotors, sensors, etc. will most likely be on you. When the recall was first announced in September 2010, WCC was agreeing to pay for these additional components IF the installer could show proof they were "collaterally damaged" by the defective calipers. However, I'm pretty sure they won't do that now since the coach has continued in use without having the recall completed.

Try using the dealer finder HERE: Find A Motor Home Service Center . Entering your ZIP code should provide a list, but call before you go because the list isn't being maintained any longer.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #4

Yeah I'm getting the recall done August 1st 100 miles away from me but they have a place where I can camp out for free while they're performing the recall so that's nice I get to visit San Antonio. RV only has 33000 miles on it so for a 17 year old vehicle pretty low I'm going to get underneath there and look at the sensors maybe they just need to be cleaned I'm hoping the brakes and rotors look really good no cracking plenty of pad left

Tags
brake, w22, workhorse