RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #1

2002 Work Horse W22 No Start Problem

O.K. guys I have a 2002 Holiday Rambler with a work horse W22 chassis. About 3 months ago I was out of state at a race and when we went to leave the coach would not start. When the key is turned forward everything lights up but no crank. The voltage gauge goes up and all the normal lights come on except the fuel level stays pegged all the way over. We called a mechanics and he came out and tried to scan it and he could not read anything. He went from head to toe and finally got it to start. He said it was the battery ground. Now here I am 3 months later. Backed it in to park it shut it off. Today I went to start it up and Its doing the same thing. The Battery is brand new and I replaced the GM junk connectors that attach to the battery and still nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #2

I'd start(no pun intended) at the cable post on the starter. Those connections are prone to corrosion at the cable/wire ends due to their location. GM/Workhorse runs battery power to the chassis cut-off switch, then to the starter post. Other components including dash instruments get power from that same post. Good luck.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got stranded in Texas same way. Tried jumpers, etc. Got into the relay panel for the engine and goofed around. Nothing. After two hours of checking everything it started.

I have no idea what the problem was and it never came back. One of the things we did was to run the rooms out and back in and also extended the levelers and retracted them again.

There have been problems with the ignition switch assembly but I'm not real familiar with that problem.

I was sweating bullets because I had three days left to get Ft Lauderdale for a cruise. Had actually made plans with the campground we were in to leave the coach and take the toad to Florida if it wouldn't start.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
I'd start(no pun intended) at the cable post on the starter. Those connections are prone to corrosion at the cable/wire ends due to their location. GM/Workhorse runs battery power to the chassis cut-off switch, then to the starter post. Other components including dash instruments get power from that same post. Good luck.
It isn't GM or Workhorse that runs battery power to chassis cut off switch. The stripped chassis doesn't come with a cut off switch. That's added by the motorhome builder. In some cases, like our Winnebago, there is no cut off switch for the chassis battery, only the coach batteries. Typically battery power is run directly from the battery to the starter. The dash, ignition power goes through the cut off switch. The starter draws too many amps to run through the disconnect solenoid.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The ignition switch was the 1st thing that came to my mind. Lots of good info in this post to help you check it out:
Stranded by a faulty Starter Switch

I think because the Fuel gauge is not getting power I would closely look at the ignition switch.

Just incase you need it - here's a link to your wiring diagram (it's a large .pdf file so don't select it unless you have decent internet access and laptop/computer - not cell phone):
http://workhorse.navistar.com/workho...8_1_engine.pdf

Workhorse sheet 81 (pdf sheet 32 of 52) shows the fuel gauge is powered by the power control module.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
It isn't GM or Workhorse that runs battery power to chassis cut off switch. The stripped chassis doesn't come with a cut off switch. That's added by the motorhome builder. In some cases, like our Winnebago, there is no cut off switch for the chassis battery, only the coach batteries. Typically battery power is run directly from the battery to the starter. The dash, ignition power goes through the cut off switch. The starter draws too many amps to run through the disconnect solenoid.
X2 on what Hank said. Also make sure the cable from chassis battery ground to the frame is good and tight and not corroded. You said that you replaced the bat connectors, but if you didn't mess with the connector at the other end (the frame) that could be your problem.

Good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #7

Thanks for all the good advise. I'll let you know what I find
Old 01-22-2017, 11:16 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Berry View Post
Any help would be appreciated.
There is a starter relay in the outside fuse panel. You will find that there will be 3 relays I believe with the same number. Find the relay labeled start and swap it with another relay. Try starting the rig. You might find a bad relay - it happens.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no start, w22