Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2005, 02:39 PM   #1

Hello all... just found this forum and it seems like the best place to ask these questions. I did some preliminary searching but am not sure and thought I would ask some direct questions. We have a 2004 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster 3625DS with a 2003 Workhorse W22 Chasis.

I returned the unit last fall to the dealer to check on three seperate issues that I feel are chasis related - all three remain unresolved.

1. The LCD display on the dash has no backlight - so you cannot see it at night - I was told they dont come with one and you need to turn on the map light to read the display. I find this really hard to believe as thats were the gear indicators are. Is this correct?

2. The unit has those black shocks and the front end hops up and down on rough roads. My request for replacement was denied and was told I have the proper shocks. As far I can tell the black shocks are the wrong ones? Is there another level I can take this to?

3. The engine battery dies after about one week of camping without the unit running. ( full hook ups the whole time) This requires emergency start to be used which sometimes then triggers the reduced power mode which requires turning the motor off. Letting it sit and starting over again. The best I can figure is that the radio is run off the engine battery (when the battery dies the radio does not work - just learned this on our two week disney trip) - The dealer says this problem cannot be duplicated and can do nothing about it.

My choice to take it elsewhere is relatively limited. Workhorse only has two places listed within 2 hours of my home.. The dealer I bought it from is one of them.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2005, 02:39 PM   #2

Hello all... just found this forum and it seems like the best place to ask these questions. I did some preliminary searching but am not sure and thought I would ask some direct questions. We have a 2004 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster 3625DS with a 2003 Workhorse W22 Chasis.

I returned the unit last fall to the dealer to check on three seperate issues that I feel are chasis related - all three remain unresolved.

1. The LCD display on the dash has no backlight - so you cannot see it at night - I was told they dont come with one and you need to turn on the map light to read the display. I find this really hard to believe as thats were the gear indicators are. Is this correct?

2. The unit has those black shocks and the front end hops up and down on rough roads. My request for replacement was denied and was told I have the proper shocks. As far I can tell the black shocks are the wrong ones? Is there another level I can take this to?

3. The engine battery dies after about one week of camping without the unit running. ( full hook ups the whole time) This requires emergency start to be used which sometimes then triggers the reduced power mode which requires turning the motor off. Letting it sit and starting over again. The best I can figure is that the radio is run off the engine battery (when the battery dies the radio does not work - just learned this on our two week disney trip) - The dealer says this problem cannot be duplicated and can do nothing about it.

My choice to take it elsewhere is relatively limited. Workhorse only has two places listed within 2 hours of my home.. The dealer I bought it from is one of them.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-18-2005, 04:59 PM   #3

1. The cluster does have a light. You need to get this unit update due to a recall. When I took mine for the recall, the software didn't work and they had to replace the cluster.

2. I don't know what color mine are, I will have to look. On rough roads there is movement, however I think it is as designed.

3. If you are parked for a long time, you need to turn off the front stereo. To due so, push and hold the power button for about 5 to 10 sec. You will see that all lights on it have now shut off. This will stop your battery drain.

4. As for Workhouse dealers, there are alot of service centers that should not be in the business. I had a long issue that I had to get the the factory ( Workhourse) involved and had to talk to the National Service Manager and his assistant to finally get things solved.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:24 PM   #4

SRAAB928 and NETSPEC: WELCOME to iRV2.com We are glad to have you join in and you've come to the right place for WCC information. It is GREAT to see one new member helping another. That's how things get done around here.
Scott, the answers netspec gave you are correct, but please allow me to eloborate.
1. regarding the dark LCD, check for a dimmer switch which may be off. also check the featured threads at the top of this forum for the recall info on the IP cluster. Yours may be affected.
2. Call WCC directly yourself to inquire about the shocks. you will need the vin # and actual weights for each axle from a public scale. If your weights qualify, and you complain about bouncing, you MAY get stiffer replacements compliments of WCC. If the answer from WCC is still no, then change the fronts only to Monroe Magnum RV gas charged at around $45.00 each or Bilstein for double that, even if you must pay. The improved ride will be worth the cost.
3. not all coaches have the ability to charge the chassis battery when connected to shore power. It requires something called a Bi-Directional relay, which is installed in the circuit keeping the chassis and house battys isolated, except when you engage the emergency start feature. If your chassis battery doesn't get charged by your converter/charger, then simply get a "battery minder" type charger which will keep you charged up whenever 110V. is available. Good luck with these issues.

We look forward to more posts from each of you!
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:47 AM   #5

Ditto for what the others have said... our IP is backlit a red color and dims with the rest of the dash lights so assuming you have other dash lights, the IP sounds in question.

We also have a 2004 GBM but ours is a 3755TS. We had the front shocks replaced under warranty but required a weight ticket from CAT scales ($8) to prove it wasn't loaded improperly. Replacing the shocks greatly reduced "porpoising" or the front end bouncing wildly especially at highway speed.

On our GBM the map or reading lights at the front are also run from the engine battery. Sometimes one of ours cats will step on the switch on the passenger side which will drain the engine battery. Our engine battery does not get charged from the converter while on shore power. Our radio is connected to the house battery for operation. When I use the battery disconnect switch, the radio dies and loses all stored memories even though the engine battery is fine. It sounds like something is slowly draining the engine battery. Try disconnecting the engine battery while parked and see what isn't working. That might tell you what is "secretly" using the engine battery.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Old 07-19-2005, 04:38 AM   #6

Scott,

Pretty much all the answers you received are correct. The only thing that I would like to add is that we recently found out on our 2005 Georgie BOy Cruise Master that they have the stairs wired to the chassis battery. If the switch is left on it will drain the battery. It is something that Georgie Boy is working on. Once you park, and your stairs are out, turn the switch off and see what happends. The dash radio could be causing a problem as well.

The thought was that if the stairs were wired to the chassis battery, and the coach battery discconnect was engaged, the stairs could still get power to lower when the door was opened for the first time after storage. However, I have been told that the stairs have the ability to still drop down if wired to the coach battery and it is disconnected. I am not sure yet how, but I heard a factory rep say something.

Erik

W22 Workhorse Chassis
Erik S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #7

Well all I can say is WOW -- thanks so much for the quick and concise responses.

I am sure it is the radio that drains the battery - its a sony unit and I will try and turn it all the way off -- didnt know you could do that.

Yes the dash is affected by the recall and I need to take it back - I just have a hard time taking it back to the purchasing dealer. They had my unit for three months last fall and most of the items that they said were fixed really werent and those that they said they could not find any problems with still had problems. I took it upon myself to resolve several issues as I just dont have the patience to deal with the typical runaround.

We have had quite a few units over the past 11 years and unfortunately poor dealer service seems to be prevalent in our area. Its a shame but really what are your choices, you either learn to deal with it or not be involved in RVing... se we learn to deal with it.

I will call the other workhorse center in our area this week and talk with them - then I will decide which one to take it to for the dash recall issue.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:39 AM   #8

Scott,

Wtih all of your Chassis issues you don't have to take it to the purchasing dealer. In fact, if they aren't a Workhorse Custom Chassis Service center, they are probably taking it somewhere else.

You can take it to any Workhorse Service Center in the US to have the warranty repairs performed (just call ahead of time to make sure they have the parts and time)...

I know the radio will cause the chassis to drain, had to deal with it once. Simply push and hold the off button till it completely goes off (nothing scrolling on the display).

W22 Workhorse Chassis
Erik S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:28 PM   #9

I just went out and tried pressing the off button on the radio for 6 seconds... worked great - now lets see if it keeps the coach battery up while being hooked up to AC.

Called the dealer I purchased it from. They are listed as one of the two workhorse chassis service centers in my area on the workhorse site. Unfortunately I had a relatively unpleasant conversation with them regarding another warranty issue on my coach. Apparently my 1 year warranty expired on July 14th and they only warrant repairs they preformed for 90 days. To make a long story short one of the items on my list was black and gray tank sensors not working properly. During the multi month stay into the winter they determined that they were wired improperly.

Due to shoulder surgery this spring I was unable to take our first trip this year until June 29th when we left for Florida. The gray tank sensor does not work at all now - when its full it still reads empty. We of course find this out by gray water backing up into the shower (pleasant) We just returned on Sunday and I called them today and kinda got this tough luck speach. I was told to call Georgie Boy and see if they will honor the warranty a 4 days after it expired. After some arguing they agreed to look and see if they are at fault - I scheduled a service appt for the first available time - August 18th - but to be honest I just dont know what to do - its so darn frustrating. Last time they had my unit from Sept 4th until Mid December... I am a tolerant man but only to a point..

Thanks for listening to my rant - needed to get that off my chest.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Scott, some times your LPgas detector is wired off the chassis battery mine had a 1 amp fuse up front off chassis battery. I asume its because you can cut off your house batteries an if you had a gas leak you still had a operational LP detector to cut off gas supply.
If you can adjust the levels of your holding tanks the one for gray maybe turned to far off. If the level lights can be adjusted turn pot in opposite direction. You know when its full by your shower just back it off some to give you a full warning early. You are better off fixing these problems yourself, we all learn to do it by getting help an satisfaction from your fellow RV'ers. "007"
OH by the way welcome to irv2
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:20 AM   #11

007 - Thanks for the advice... The LP detector actually saved us on our last trip... our dog had put her paws up on the counter and must have hit the burner knob to on and we didnt realize it - about 5 minutes later the LP detector was going off - First instict by me was something must be wrong with it - but I still got everyone out - turned the tank off and started to air out the unit (didnt smell a thing) - Hindsight I probably should have cut the power off too - anyway I never knew how valuable on of those could be -

I have the unit in my driveway right now plugged in and the radio all the way off. I am going to wait a week and see what happens. If the problem persists I will go further - I did think about installing a solar charger for the engine battery as an option too - we do like to listen to the radio and cd's while camping.

As for the holding tank sensors - I did not know you could adjust them... is that pot on the back of the panel? I did check the connections at the tank and all seemed well - I would love to fix myself at all possible - the lesson Im sure will prove valuable into the future -

Thanks again for everyones input - Im really happy to have found this site.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:10 AM   #12

originally posted by 007;
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">an if you had a gas leak you still had a operational LP detector to cut off gas supply. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
007, are you sure about this statement?? I was not aware the dectetor had the ability to SHUT OFF the gas. If true, HOW does it do it? If it shuts off, does it turn on again, too?? I really want to know, not trying to give you a hard time, ED
Old 07-21-2005, 06:14 AM   #13

Ed,

I have read of detectors that do cut off the gas, caught up on my back reading of my motorhome mags during my Florida trip.- I dont believe I have one.. when I had read about it I went and looked around my tank valve and plumbing and didnt see any way it could be cut off by a detector.

Maybe its something found in higher end DP's?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:11 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Maybe its something found in higher end DP's? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I DUNNO One of the reasons I was asking 007 is that HE and I both enjoy identical coaches. ED