Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2004, 11:27 AM   #1

I have a 2003 Allegro 31 DA. According to the VIN it is on a 2003 chassis and I ordered it Jan. 2003 took delivery April 2003.

According to the Workhorse chassis guide, an official WH publication,
"Starting in 2003 model year all gas chassis became standard with a revised instrument cluster........" and it goes on about the trip computer that calculates instant fuel consumption, fuel range, average vehicle speed, and outside temp (if the probe was installed by the manufacturer).

I do not have the trip computer on mine, but I know it is on the 2004's. I called WH and the girl told me the manufacturer had to order the "premium" cluster in oreder to get the trip computer. Apparently Tiffin went for the basic package on mine. But the manual doesn't say it's an option.

Does anyone else own a 2003, and if so, do you have the trip computer in your instrument cluster?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2004, 11:27 AM   #2

I have a 2003 Allegro 31 DA. According to the VIN it is on a 2003 chassis and I ordered it Jan. 2003 took delivery April 2003.

According to the Workhorse chassis guide, an official WH publication,
"Starting in 2003 model year all gas chassis became standard with a revised instrument cluster........" and it goes on about the trip computer that calculates instant fuel consumption, fuel range, average vehicle speed, and outside temp (if the probe was installed by the manufacturer).

I do not have the trip computer on mine, but I know it is on the 2004's. I called WH and the girl told me the manufacturer had to order the "premium" cluster in oreder to get the trip computer. Apparently Tiffin went for the basic package on mine. But the manual doesn't say it's an option.

Does anyone else own a 2003, and if so, do you have the trip computer in your instrument cluster?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 01:50 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a new 2004 Rexhall Rexair but it is built on a 2003 W22 Chassis and it does have the trip computer. It even worked for these first 1600 miles but it is now in the workhorse shop getting a replacement installed
Maybe you ought to be happy they didn't order it for yours
Old 09-27-2004, 04:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The message center on my rig never gave me a bit of trouble. I'm just wondering to what extent the coach manufacturer adjusts the harnesses to suit their individual requirements.

About the message center computer, on this last 1500 mile run we did, I found that I was accuratly able to questimate how much fuel I would be pumping into the tank, to the exact gallon, and I found that my average mpg data was within acceptable limits.

What we had figured out mathematically at 6.9 MPG the message center indicated that I was doing 7.0 MPG. I also did the same process for second fillup and the math and the display data were very close again.

My gas gauge doesn't give me any kind of idea as to how much fuel I have however the trip computer levels the playing field quite a bit. I have however become used to the rate of change in the needle position so I know fairly closely what's going on with the gas gauge.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:43 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got this new MH with 1100 miles on it and it now has 1800 and getting a new dash computer installed so I have been unable to use this trip computer. The Fuel guage is in 1/8th increments so I have been able to figure milage and fuel use pretty close from this guage.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:06 PM   #6

I have 2003 Trail-Lite 241 that has the computer instrument cluster and Bilstein shocks. It's on a P-32 chassis. I can twiddle between avg fuel mpg, instamd, oil pressuer, all kinds of useless amusements. It has an outside temp as well but there is no sensor so it always says it's 32 below. It also has the heated mirrirs which I thought didn't come out till later...but there they are.
FullAstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:29 PM   #7

So if the trip computer was standard on the 2003 models, who do I go after? WOrkhorse supplied the chassis, so shouldn't it have the 2003 instrument panel?

Driver, do you know what would be involved to replacing an instrument panel with the new model?

Thanks

John
Old 09-27-2004, 05:47 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse dealer is replacing the dash computer in my new 2004 motorhome that has a 2003 W22 chassis, under their warranty.
It is my understanding that there are two dash set ups, the basic and the multimode. The multi mode computer is an option that the coach manufacturer may or may not provide depending on whether you ordered it or it was built as a stock dealer model.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jobrien:
So if the trip computer was standard on the 2003 models, who do I go after? Workhorse supplied the chassis, so shouldn't it have the 2003 instrument panel? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Only Tiffin can answer that question. They must have ordered the chassis with the standard instrument cluster. WI on the other hand orders their MHs with the optional cluster.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Driver, do you know what would be involved to replacing an instrument panel with the new model? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You know, you would think that this piece would be a plug and play cluster however I'm not sure if the wire harness would support the optional cluster. I would suggest that you call WCC Customer Services and ask the experts.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:50 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2003 has to trip computer and there is no mension of it being an option. I have had to have it replaced by WH. It went blank in places and black lines in others. It's so small it's hard to read while you drive and I wish there were some more analog gages instead of the digital stuff. Might be better off without it !

Megawatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:08 AM   #11

MegaWatt,
My '04 has the cluster and I believe I have adjusted the sizes of the letters. At first I could not read them either, but some how played with it enough to get bigger letters. Maybe someone can verify this. When I get my rig back from the shop, I will certainly look it up in the manual.

2004 Adventurer 38R
Rtent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:01 PM   #12

I think some of the early 2003's had the older style GM guages and the smaller steering wheel. The later ones have the newer Workhorse dash and the larger steering wheel.

My friend has the same MH only an earlier 2003 and has the old style dash, and I have the newer style. Just one of those things that happen when upgrading product lines.

W-22 Vortec 8.1L
Roaminsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 06:13 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an 03 and I have a 2 trip modes plus the odometer. Great to have both. I use one to tell me how far I have driven each and the other one to tell me how many miles I have on the last fill-up.

08 Dolphin on WorkHorse W24
LeeSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 01:26 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lhaeb:
I use one to tell me how far I have driven each and the other one to tell me how many miles I have on the last fill-up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Me too!