Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #15

Are the front rotors slip onto the hub style or hub/rotor made as one unit?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 10:43 PM   #16

The rotors slip on to the hub. Hub is a separate piece. N
Old 05-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #17

That being the case, we're bearings looked at?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:03 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has the Bosch brake recall been done? The original brakes had the problem you are describing.

I shoot my tires/brakes with an IR gun every time I stop. 275 isn't out of line shortly after stopping.

I look for both fronts to be about the same but it will vary somewhat. Keep checking them over a period of time to get a feel for it. Saw 500 degrees one time, but that's another story.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
That being the case, we're bearings looked at?
The front was not pulled. Just the caliper changed out. The rotor was fine, have to remove hub to get to rotor.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:51 AM   #20

Your pulling might be caused from not roughing up or turning the rotor when swapping calipers. Even with new pads if the rotor was glazed a bit it's not going to grab as good as the other side(assuming that side was not glazed).

EDIT:

Sorry, I thought yours was still pulling, but it's just a temp difference. IT might take some miles before the pads/rotors and new calipers all settle in. I think I would drive it and keep and eye(IR gun) on it.

As far as mine pulling to the right after all four of EVERYTHING being replaced, it's going back to the service center.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Reason I suggested moving the fronts was to see or eliminate the tire causing the heat buildup...
I thought about tire or alignment even but the rotor is what is hotter. The tires aren’t that much different in temps between the fronts.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #22

Forkyfork,
He only thing that draws a brake caliper’s piston back is the piston’s seal, and there’s not much clearance. It doesn’t take much for them to hang a little bit. Most of the time the tendency is to concentrate on the pistons in the caliper, but if it has slide pins and they’re not free, or the pads are fitting too tight in the caliper, that can cause issues as well because the pads can’t properly pull away from the rotor. Might not be enough to cause a pull, but just enough to raise the temp a bit.
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGDLD View Post
Forkyfork,
He only thing that draws a brake caliper’s piston back is the piston’s seal, and there’s not much clearance. It doesn’t take much for them to hang a little bit. Most of the time the tendency is to concentrate on the pistons in the caliper, but if it has slide pins and they’re not free, or the pads are fitting too tight in the caliper, that can cause issues as well because the pads can’t properly pull away from the rotor. Might not be enough to cause a pull, but just enough to raise the temp a bit.
They were replaced. Doesn’t the kit that comes with the caliper have the pins in it?
Old 06-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #24

Finally took a trip where we spend some time on the freeway. The front wheels were cooler than the rear by 5*. I think the heat on the right front was due to the glaze on the pads from the caliper dragging.