RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2008, 06:57 AM   #1

I finally joined the brake problem club...2005 HR w-22 with 16000miles right front caliper seized. i was just 10 miles from home & made to a local dependable truck and auto repair shop. Hope they can find the correct parts and that Good Sam extended warranty cooperates...
Apparently there is no benefit to contacting Workhorse....I need the repair completed asap !!

Tom&Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:57 AM   #2

I finally joined the brake problem club...2005 HR w-22 with 16000miles right front caliper seized. i was just 10 miles from home & made to a local dependable truck and auto repair shop. Hope they can find the correct parts and that Good Sam extended warranty cooperates...
Apparently there is no benefit to contacting Workhorse....I need the repair completed asap !!

Old 10-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom&Marie:
Apparently there is no benefit to contacting Workhorse....I need the repair completed asap !! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you post any more particulars on what specifically happened? What type of traffic, what type of driving, etc?
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom&Marie:
Apparently there is no benefit to contacting Workhorse....I need the repair completed asap !! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom&Marie, You need to call 877-946-7731 right away in order to get the best possible resource to effect repairs on your Workhorse. If there isn't a Workhorse Service Center near to you they will find you an alternate. Getting to a service center that has parts and that can get back in service quickly is what they do.

I would recommend that also be in the system as having had failure. I believe this would be the best way to do that.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would first recommend you report this problem to NTSHA then get that caliper, hose and brake fluid changed.

Be prepaired for this to happen again. Good advice, even tho it is NOT mine...........TENN.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #6

Approx 15 months ago had a similar problem with the right front brake while in heavy traffic in Myrtle bch heated up.after about an hour drove to campground and next day mobil rv repair inspected brakes and found no problems.closest workhorse in Charleston.On way home drove to Charleston with no problems so continued to West Palm Beach also with no brake difficulty. Had about 13K miles at that time.I regularly drive the MH approx 100 miles at least once a month while in storage.
Now 3500 miles later 10 miles from home on the Fla Turnpike at 5pm on Friday MH felt sluggish ,then a vibration like a possible flat tire,pulled off exit and noted strong brake odor and heat from right front wheel.Let wheel cool and was able to slowly make to my truck and auto repair shop. Being aware from reading this forum of the problems dealing with workhorse after warranty thought I would deal with a trusted shop in business for 30 yrs.
Shop attempted to secure the correct parts on Sat.am but was unsuccessful.He was certain they could be located on Monday...We will see. Rotor not warped or cracked....Noted that the ABS light came on just when pulling into the shop...
Old 10-19-2008, 08:35 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Approx 15 months ago had a similar problem with the right front brake while in heavy traffic in Myrtle bch heated up.after about an hour drove to campground and next day mobil rv repair inspected brakes and found no problems.closest workhorse in Charleston.On way home drove to Charleston with no problems so continued to West Palm Beach also with no brake difficulty. Had about 13K miles at that time.I regularly drive the MH approx 100 miles at least once a month while in storage.
Now 3500 miles later 10 miles from home on the Fla Turnpike at 5pm on Friday MH felt sluggish ,then a vibration like a possible flat tire,pulled off exit and noted strong brake odor and heat from right front wheel.Let wheel cool and was able to slowly make to my truck and auto repair shop. Being aware from reading this forum of the problems dealing with workhorse after warranty thought I would deal with a trusted shop in business for 30 yrs.
Shop attempted to secure the correct parts on Sat.am but was unsuccessful.He was certain they could be located on Monday...We will see. Rotor not warped or cracked....Noted that the ABS light came on just when pulling into the shop... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> TOM&MARIE, Can you tell me where a wh shop is in charleston. Also if you havnt done so yet you can report to www.nhtsa.gov. safe travels
Old 10-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never mind on the charleston post. I see where you didnt stop there. But for future ref wh was and I assume still is using e. m. jones chev as a wh service center when someone calls them. There not listed on the wh site though. They have been out of business for over 25 years. I know this because I was born and raised here. My second failure happened right in front of the dealership that took over for them and after calling wh they directed me to them as a wh service center but they would not work on a wh ch. Sorry to hear you have joined our club. Safe Travels
Old 10-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Closest workhorse in Charleston.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom&Marie, Larry's Auto Clinic is an Authorized Service Center and he is located in Myrtle Beach. He's been a center for almost 3 years if not more. The best method to find a service center is to call Workhorse Roadside Assistance using the number I provided above.

Had you used Larry's he has all the brake components in stock. No waiting.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #10

Shop repaired rt front caliper Good Sam paid half $500. Shop could not clear the ABS code. WH advised to take MH tro WH dealer. Tech determined codes for remaining three wheels.Examination determined extreme heat and melted sensors at the other calipers.They advised that the other calipers needed to be replaced. Service advisor has experienced numerous similar brake problems and stated that the WH reps absolutely will not cover the repair cost if MH out of warranty.Contacted Good Sam and they agreed to reopen the claim and probably send an inspector to check out the MH. Dont know if they will assist with the remaining repair cost.
Do you think I should wait to see if NHSTA/WH will be doing anything ???? Yes I filed a complaint with NHSTA Thanks for everyones input !!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Do you think I should wait to see if NHTSA/WH will be doing anything ???? Yes I filed a complaint with NHTSA Thanks for everyones input !!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom, Something is in the works and should shortly be announced. I can't quote an exact timeline however from what we heard it should be sooner than later but you never know the issues that will obviously be present between the supplier and the government. I do know one thing, Workhorse is just as anxious as you are to get this off the radar screen.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #12

DRIVER... Thanks for the reply...forgot to ADVISE THAT A CERTAIN UNNAMED SERVICE TECH stated that it was his opinion that the problem is with the Bosch black calipers as opposed to the silver ones as he has never had a return problem with the silver (newer) calipers.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
DRIVER... Thanks for the reply...forgot to ADVISE THAT A CERTAIN UNNAMED SERVICE TECH stated that it was his opinion that the problem is with the Bosch black calipers as opposed to the silver ones as he has never had a return problem with the silver (newer) calipers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That may very well be however it is my understanding that the external coating was more of an external coating design change and that the internal components had not changed from the previous caliper design. I have also heard that there were some minor design changes however I can't tag those changes to the silver calipers.

When I had my calipers(4) changed in June, they installed 4 silver coated calipers.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe, I hope, there is something to this silver/black thing. The front passenger caliper I had to have replaced in June is silver. (The other (originals) ones on the MH are the black ones.)
So, just maybe, that one won't be causing any more problems.

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote