Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
2005 Workhorse Instrument Cluster LCD Unreadable

I have a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer on a Workhorse Chassis that the LCD Display in the instrument cluster has gone to an un-readable state.

Does any one know if this can be repaired, or does the complete Instrument Cluster need to replaced?

If it can be repaired, do you know the name of the company that does the repair?

If the cluster has to be replaced, where can you purchase a recondition or new instrument cluster?

Walt

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The company that makes it is Actia. The info I have on them is several years old but here it is.
Phone :574 264 2373- Address 52765 Bridger Court Elkhart, IN 46514 - www.actia.com

The instrument cluster will probably have to be replaced. Mine went bad back in 2005 and I took it out and the dealer had a new one sent out from a regional center the next day. I had the mileage which they have to have for the new one. Mine was under warranty so it didn't cost me anything.

I did the remove and replace myself because we full time and I didn't want to have to tear down, drive 35 miles to the dealer and try to figure out what to do with two dogs and cat all day while they worked on it, then drive and set back up when they finished.

They had so much trouble with the IPs that for a while they were replacing units for free even after the warranty had expired. I don't know if they are still doing that or not.

There was a recall in that time frame for a com problem with the ABS system. You might want to see if your IP was part of that and if it has been done on yours or not. If it needs to be done that might get you a new one.
If you have registered with Workhorse you should be able to get info about the recall and your motor home.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clay L

Thanks for the information, I have called them and they have provided me with the information on replacing the unit.

Thanks once again for the information,

Walt
Old 02-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Posted By ClayL

Thank you!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine was replaced under waranty. I still can't see it too well due to not wearing my glasses so I bought a Scangage and it does a great job and is easy to read being up on the dash. Just a thought.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #6

I'd heard (about a year ago on this forum) that someone was supplying IPs for about $100. Anyone know who the vendor is/was? Any problems with those units? I just called Actia & they are charging $354 + 16 S&H (+ tax??) for a reconditioned unit. That seems high. What is the standard hours for installation by a WH center?

Also, Actia says only they can set the mileage, not the WH svc ctr. Is that the straight poop? I'm full-timing, so cannot "just drop the rig off & we'll fix it in a couple of weeks".

BTW, it's a WHOLE 30 day warranty!!

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudman View Post
Also, Actia says only they can set the mileage, not the WH svc ctr. Is that the straight poop? I'm full-timing, so cannot "just drop the rig off & we'll fix it in a couple of weeks". BTW, it's a WHOLE 30 day warranty!!
Thudman, Love the new avatar picture!!!!

Only Actia (Federal Regs) has the machine that is needed to read a bad IP and spin up a replacement IP so that your mileage is properly set. It is possible that an IP can be purchase for $100.00 but I'm not sure that it would do you any good.

We have had folks here that have said that Actia shipped a replacement IP direct to the owner. Perhaps you should find out from Actia if that would help you if needed.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #8

One of the nasty surprises that comes with owning an RV is finding out what components that were just plain designed badly or wrong for the application will go tango uniform on your watch.
I had four surprises and one candidate.
1. RBW slide mechanism with an improperly treated worm gear that failed. $700 actual.
2. Actia LCD. Mostly failed but holding off to recover from #1.
3. Front RCA crap-o-vision self destructed. $500 plus hardware and time to replace with LCD.
4. Rear RCA crap-o-vision self destructed +1 week after #3. Replaced with an old Toshiba that was sitting around. Cost $0
5. Workhorse brakes. Candidate? I have recall notices in hand but so far so good.
I think I escaped the spark plug wire burning issue completely. Whew!
Since we willingly own RVs and (mostly passively) accept this form of abuse, we are all masochists I guess.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been lucky so far, everything that has broke was covered under warranty. But then, my warranty is up now.......knock on wood.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yea, it's too bad this didn't happen to Toyota. If it did, every Toyota odometer would be replaced with a reliable one, whether they were under warranty or not, even if only 0.0001% had the problem.
Now Actia is capitalizing on their defective product by Forcing us to buy another inferior product from them. ( You can't very easily sell a vehicle if you can't read the odometer) With the economy the way it is and the way WH is not selling well these days, I guess this creates a good steady income for Actia.
I guess WH keeps Actia for the same reason they keep Bosch. They obviously don't care if their products are contributing to their demise.
What other vehicle have you heard of that the odometer goes out and you can't read it? The media would be all over it if they knew. I think we are just lucky to have bought the only one.
If we just had a reliable odometer, most of us could care less about the rest of the Actia trivia.

Yes, mine was replaced twice under warranty but now they have 'ridden the warranty period' out and I still have same type that failed twice in 3 years. Knock on wood again.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I just called Actia & they are charging $354 + 16 S&H (+ tax??) for a reconditioned unit. That seems high.
Friend of mine also called Actia about this same thing and also got the same information Thudman posted above. He asked if there was a warranty with this replacement cost and the answer was, NO... because these are reconditioned units. I've also read else where on this forum that some have had theirs sent in to be fixed by Actia only to have them go bad just a few months later.

Workhorse can really pick'em can't they?

I wonder if the newer style Actia is any better and also if our older versions can be replaced by the newer version?
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
I wonder if the newer style Actia is any better and also if our older versions can be replaced by the newer version?
I've been answering that question since 2006 and the short answer is unfortunately, No. I'm on my 2nd IP, it has an orange background, it was replaced in 2006~2007 and it's still working. I still get the gauge reset from time to time but that's unrelated to the IP.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #13

My guage on our '03 Pace Arrow comes and goes (mostly goes). Last week Actia said $354 + shipping with a "30" day warranty. Not too impressive I'd say.
I had already done like FATMANAR and paid $159 delivered for a Scan Guage II that gives me a lot more info then the Actia guage. Plugs right into the computer plug and I mounted it right in front of the guage panel.
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #14

Ultra RV Products will repair for $349.00 with free shipping. They use a diff lcd which has a 30 to 100 year life. Three colors.