Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2016, 04:56 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2007 Bounder Dashboard going bonkers

Hi,
We are new to the forum and new 2007 Class A Fleetwood Bounder 35 owners.

We just purchased it preowned from private seller. About 40 Minutes into the trip home the dashboard seat belt light comes on and alarm sounds. We check the belts and they are on and secure. At 60MPH the alarm stayed on for maybe 20 seconds when we noticed the gas gauge was on E then came back on to the actual 3/4 tank and alarm stopped. Seat belt light continued to flash for another 20 seconds then went out.

We never lost power just the alarm sounded, gauge died and seat belt warning light.

40 minutes later same thing at about 60 MPH then went away.

40 minutes later every dash board alarm light illuminated and all gauges dropped to zero and alram sounded.

Cleared up on its own 10 or so seconds later.

Never lost power.

Previous owner says oh yeah, did that to him over the last year. Had it to the shop, but couldn't be duplicated.

Now we own his problem. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, recommendation on what or how to diagnose this seat clenching problem??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #2

Not sure what chassis you have but I would start by looking for dirty or loose grounds.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #3

Bet you have a Freightliner chassis. They have a known problem with the plugs and jumpers that daisy chain the dash gauges and warnings. We had this issue when we had a 2008 Allegro Bus on a Freightliner chassis. I solved it by dropping the dash, pulling all the jumpers off and then reinstalling them in a completely different position. Since they are a multiplexed system, each gauge/warning picks the data it needs off the data bus and ignores all the other stuff. Your tach will NOT show the oil pressure. It knows what it needs to display even if we don't. You might also call Freightliner. They might have a replacement harness, but I don't know anything about the cost.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the response.
We have the Workhorse chassis if that helps diagnose this issue. Chevy gas engine.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the response.
We have the Workhorse chassis if that helps diagnose this issue. Chevy gas engine.
Will check connections from below dashboard dive. Lotta squeaks a dash movement on drivers side. Dash dive will be the first probe for loose stuff.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Moving this question to the Workhorse Chassis forum will get better responses.

Ask a moderator to move it for you.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #7

Sometimes a bad chassis battery can cause intermittent problems. Had a 2000 Fleetwood Storm where the speedo would sometimes just go dead. Battery was marginal. Replaced and never happened again.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #8

I have a W-22 Workhorse as well the 8.1L Chevy Engine.
I has the lights and alarms happen to me one time as well but I never figured out the cause and it only happened once. I am interested in what comments are posted about this. And good luck.
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:48 AM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
I'm in agreement with vettenuts. Get your tools out and give a little crank on all your grounding bolts. Wiggle your wires around and check for breaks. My dash is hinged and swings up after removing 3 bolts. The grounding lugs for the dash are bolted into the firewall near where the wiring harnesses come through from the front.

Being mechanically inclined is a real advantage especially when buying a used MH.
RolandRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agreed on the grounds. Mine has a bus bar under the dash and another in the engine compartment. My coach is only a year old and ALL the nuts on the bus bar inside were already loose. Mine was not causing any problems yet but would definitely as they continued to loosen over time. I only found it because I was adding some 12v outlets for different items (TMPS, toad brake monitor, dash cam, tablet for scan tool).
It's now on a periodic maintenance schedule.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLE373 View Post
rHi,
We are new to the forum and new 2007 Class A Fleetwood Bounder 35 owners.

We just purchased it preowned from private seller. About 40 Minutes into the trip home the dashboard seat belt light comes on and alarm sounds. We check the belts and they are on and secure. At 60MPH the alarm stayed on for maybe 20 seconds when we noticed the gas gauge was on E then came back on to the actual 3/4 tank and alarm stopped. Seat belt light continued to flash for another 20 seconds then went out.

We never lost power just the alarm sounded, gauge died and seat belt warning light.

40 minutes later same thing at about 60 MPH then went away.

40 minutes later every dash board alarm light illuminated and all gauges dropped to zero and alarm sounded.

Cleared up on its own 10 or so seconds later.

Never lost power.

Previous owner says oh yeah, did that to him over the last year. Had it to the shop, but couldn't be duplicated.

Now we own his problem. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, recommendation on what or how to diagnose this seat clenching problem??
I have the same problem from time to time. It is a known Workhorse defect called "Christmas Tree". I was told by a regional WH rep that they were working on a fix, but I think they went under before it was done.

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's common for the Actia IPs used by Workhorse and is a known issue. It happened to mine three or four times in nine years.
Several years ago a Workhorse rep at the Winnebago Grand National rally told me there is a fix that requires re-flashing the IP firmware. She offered to do it at the rally (for free) but we couldn't set a time that fit both our schedules.

At that time some WH shops could do the re-flash but since it isn't a sign of that something is failing and it doesn't happen often I haven't bothered to have it done.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:12 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had my WH for 13 yrs and this happens to most of us at random times. The 1st time it happens to you it is quite worrisome, then you learn it's nonthing to worry about. I believe it is caused by the a misread of the data link to the engine control module and instrument panel. You may go 6 to 9 months and not see it happen again. Very random.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:03 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to you all.

Good advice all. Will confirm connections and grounds on dashboard tour.
Reassuring also to know not alone with this condition and not end of world.

Many of your suggestions and experiences connect with us as first time WH MH owners. Sure we will need more 12v outlets, entertainment connections and 110v supply.

Hopefully our experiences add to the conversation.

Tags
bounder, dash, dashboard