Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2018, 05:28 AM   #15

Why the expense of a Tech II? A BlueDriver sounds like it will do all the things you are looking for. I carry one when I travel.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
If the engine wont turn over and start then I think the CEL is irrelevant. I will go out and check my coach but I think if I just turn the key on the CEL is lit.
Exactly. On most vehicles, that light will come on when the key is put in the run position and won't go off until after the engine is cranked and running.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:38 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same issue a few years back. We stopped overnight in a rest area in n. carolina. When I went to start it in the morning everything looked fine (dash lit up, all good). When i turned the key to start, everything died until i returned the key to the run position. It turned out being a bad bosch battery which was only 3 months old. I replaced the original only because of age (10years old). I was able to get her started with the auxiliary start. Made the rest of the trip to florida and then replaced the battery. No more problems since then. Have you tried starting with the auxiliary circuit? Good luck to you.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #18

Finally

I have been away for a while (no, not in jail) and didn't get a chance to update the forum on why my 2007 Pace Arrow wouldn't start.
As I went through the diagnosis I did the usual steps.....
-wack the starter (ever so gently of course)
-check starter relay
-check the battery for charge and load response
-"etc"

What happened that caused such a delay in getting it running (my hair was already white so I wasn't worried about it turning gray) was a simple sequence that hid the problem for a while.
My first reaction was to check the starter/solenoid (with a wack). No difference, wouldn't start (no clicks, nothing). Before I went and bought a new solenoid I tried the starter relay. I swapped out the fan relay with the starter relay and it still didn't start. The next step was what caused the long diagnosis. I swapped the relays BACK to their original location after it failed to start when swapped. I should have picked a couple up and replaced them "just cuz". Anyway, I bought a solenoid, replaced the old one. While the starter was out I bench tested the combo and the new solenoid and starter worked just fine. (the old solenoid and starter did NOT work after I removed it) Thinking I've solved the problem I did that "gotcha SOB" kind of saunter back to the RV to install the starter. That lasted all of the 20 minutes it took to get everything installed. It still didn't start.
So now I'm back to "electrical" issues. I traced wires (looking for chafing/etc) and found nothing. I did learn that after a certain "age" crawling under RVs, under hoods and inside dog houses gets to be work after a while. What I did do is learn a lot about the WH wiring and where things ended up.
By now you've probably guessed it. The starter relay was ALSO bad! I was at the point of flipping a coin... -call in the cavalry to get this thing running or -report a mysterious fire that burned it to the ground..... For no apparent reason, I decided to try the relay swap again. Surprise! The old starter relay wasn't working either. With my luck, I'd have 2 issues in the same circuit just to make life interesting.
Ahhhh….. Cold beer time...
Thanks to all that responded. I thought I was going insane because nothing worked and nothing was popping up as I went through this. The forum is a great place to get help and if someone runs into this scenario it may help them too....
Thanks again!
Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:13 PM   #19

Thanks for the update. It's fairly unusual for 2 electrical components to fail at the same time but sounds like that is exactly what happened to you.

PS. For anyone who may come across this thread in a search. The part number for the Starter Relay is 12177236. It can be had for anywhere from $5 to $50.

I keep a spare in my DC electrical bin.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
That number takes me to a fan relay? Same?
Old 07-01-2018, 11:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
That number takes me to a fan relay? Same?

I believe so. Thats the one I came up with when I looked it up a couple years ago.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:22 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
I believe so. Thats the one I came up with when I looked it up a couple years ago.

Ok that works now I just need to know where to find it on the coach.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #23

On the 2007 Pace Arrow (W24) there are 3 relays together in a circuit box at the front end (straight in, toward the right side, latched cover). One is the starter relay, the other is the fan relay and there's another which I think (not sure) is the brakes/ABS?. They are all the same and interchangeable. I replaced all of them since I have a little of that "Tim Allen" approach to life and if one fails you know all the others will fail. I kept the old ones as a spare since 2 of them were still working.
Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, pace arrow