Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #1

2007 Pace Arrow W24 won't start

Greetings! I have a 2007 Workhorse chassis and it won't start. 500 miles ago I did the "reset" for the oil life after I changed the oil. I now have what appears to be the same conditions as when the oil life gets low and the check engine light comes on. At that point, the motor won't start. So I tried the "reset" again, (key on, pump gas 3 times in 5 seconds, key off) and it does not reset the check engine. The oil life is reset to 100% but it won't start. So I hooked up a scangauge 2. No codes or pending codes. I did a complete diagnostic of the dash and found no errors from anything. Since I can't get it started I can't take it to someone with a tech II at this point.
The batteries are all over 13 volts and the coach was running just 2 days prior to the problem today. (it was started and run for a few minutes but not driven)
Any ideas?
Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Just to be clear when you say won’t start do you mean actually it won’t run or won’t turn over?
Old 04-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #3

Correct. A year or so ago I forgot to reset the oil life after changing the oil. When I stopped for break from driving, the RV wouldn't start (or turn over). I then did the "reset" for the oil life which turned off the check engine light and allowed the coach to start.
This is the exact same scenario. The coach was running a couple days before this happened with no problems. I was going to change the air filter the other day and was trying to start it to turn the front wheels to the left to make for some room to change the air filter.
When I turned the key to on, the dash goes through the typical lamp tests but the check engine light stayed on. I tried to start it and it wouldn't start (or turn over). My last oil change was in November of last year and I've only traveled 500 miles since then. I did the "reset" after that oil change so the oil life shouldn't have caused the check engine. I went through the reset process anyway and the oil life was reset to 100%. The check engine remains however and the coach will not start.
I used a scan gauge 2 and there are no codes stored or pending for the coach. I don't have a tech II which can check for other areas, but I'm puzzled as to what could have happened while the coach was just sitting.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #4

Have you checked battery voltage or tried to jump start the coach ??
Low battery voltage or bad connections would be the first thing to check with a no turn over condition.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #5

I had this issue once with my Suburban. AAA showed up and he crawled under and tapped the starter a few times with a rubber mallet. The car started. I was told that the GM starters will occasionally hang up. I later ended up having to change the starter.

If it won't turn over, and the battery is good, I would suspect the starter and begin by going through the normal voltage checks at the starter and making sure all the connections are tight and clean.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:45 PM   #6

I didnt reset my oil life reminder on purpose and I didnt get a CEL. My coach starts up just fine. Its been over 8000 miles since the oil life reminder has been reset.

Like others mentioned, I would look toward the starter. With a volt meter and an assistant the voltage at the starter is easy to verify.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
I didnt reset my oil life reminder on purpose and I didnt get a CEL. My coach starts up just fine. Its been over 8000 miles since the oil life reminder has been reset.

Like others mentioned, I would look toward the starter. With a volt meter and an assistant the voltage at the starter is easy to verify.
I agree with AKIQPilot, forget the oil life reminder and concentrate on the starter solenoid witch is mounted on the starter.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep us posted on what you find.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:54 PM   #9

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've checked the battery voltage (over 13) and everything looks OK. I haven't crawled under to wack the starter yet but will give it a try. My concern is the check engine light. I wouldn't expect it to be on for a starter issue but who knows?
I have a scangauge but it shows nothing recorded (or pending). I tried the "force" to try to turn off the check engine but it didn't have any effect.

I researched the Tech2 for the coach and may end up getting one. I've seen them online but the ads were confusing about what was needed to make it work. I assume the basic Tech2 unit with all the cables and plugs will work but the "plug in" with the details comes on what looks like a PCMCIA card. Would the "GM" version include all the info I'd need for this coach or are there multiples required for the different systems? The coach is a 2007 Fleetwood Pace Arrow (2006 workhorse chassis W24). I've read that the tech 2 includes much more info and access and can actually reset the check engine light after clearing codes. At least I could find out what the check engine light was for......
Old 04-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2007 Pace Arrow W24 won't start

You should be able to tell if the starter is trying to engage without crawling under the coach can’t you? Hasn’t there been some occasional issues with the the ignition switch? Look thru the Workhorse forums and I think you’ll find something. I think Kevin has done a YouTube video on it too.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:16 AM   #11

If the engine wont turn over and start then I think the CEL is irrelevant. I will go out and check my coach but I think if I just turn the key on the CEL is lit.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
You should be able to tell if the starter is trying to engage without crawling under the coach can’t you? Hasn’t there been some occasional issues with the the ignition switch? Look thru the Workhorse forums and I think you’ll find something. I think Kevin has done a YouTube video on it too.

I dont believe the ‘07 W24 has this issue with the ignition switch. I may be wrong though.

If the solenoid on the starter is acting up there is no way to tell without getting under the coach and checking voltage across the solenoid and voltage at the trigger wire.

Ive started my Itasca several times from under neath when the solenoid was acting up. Its pretty easy to get to the studs on the starter and bypass the solenoid.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
I dont believe the ‘07 W24 has this issue with the ignition switch. I may be wrong though.

If the solenoid on the starter is acting up there is no way to tell without getting under the coach and checking voltage across the solenoid and voltage at the trigger wire.

Ive started my Itasca several times from under neath when the solenoid was acting up. Its pretty easy to get to the studs on the starter and bypass the solenoid.

Actually I think you correct about that. I think now what Kevin did on YouTube was working on the shift selector not coming out of PARK.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
are you checking the battery with a load on it or just as it sits?
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, pace arrow