RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
I am considering buying a 2007 37ft Damon motorhome on the Workhorse chassis with the GM Vortec 8100 engine, Allison 6-speed transmission, 22.5" wheel and the 5:86 rear end.

I'd sure appreciate some feedback from someone with this same chassis and engine on a 2006 or 2007 coach.

1. What fuel economy can I expect? It sounds like most of the 2005 or older models get around 6.5 to 7.5 mpg with the 5-speed tranny. I'm hoping the newer 6-speed offers some improvement. What mileage are your getting at a certain speed (like 65 mph)and how many RPMs are your turing? RPM and speed are important to performance.

2. How do you rate the handling on your coach with the W24 chassis? It sounds like a lot of folks are is adding swaybars and other suspension components to improve the ride.

Thanks for the input!

MasterChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I am considering buying a 2007 37ft Damon motorhome on the Workhorse chassis with the GM Vortec 8100 engine, Allison 6-speed transmission, 22.5" wheel and the 5:86 rear end.

I'd sure appreciate some feedback from someone with this same chassis and engine on a 2006 or 2007 coach.

1. What fuel economy can I expect? It sounds like most of the 2005 or older models get around 6.5 to 7.5 mpg with the 5-speed tranny. I'm hoping the newer 6-speed offers some improvement. What mileage are your getting at a certain speed (like 65 mph)and how many RPMs are your turing? RPM and speed are important to performance.

2. How do you rate the handling on your coach with the W24 chassis? It sounds like a lot of folks are is adding swaybars and other suspension components to improve the ride.

Thanks for the input!

MasterChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:37 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MasterChief:
1. What fuel economy can I expect? It sounds like most of the 2005 or older models get around 6.5 to 7.5 mpg with the 5-speed tranny. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>MasterChief, You are not too far off the mark with your estimate however I have seen consistent better values than the ones you quote with my motorhome. The last average MPG value that I observed was 8.1 MPG. MPG in aftermarket can ultimately be improved.

The 2003 W22 has a 5.38 final drive ratio with a .71 5th gear ratio. The 06/07 6 speed transmission has a .61 gear ratio through a 5.86 rear as you posted. Given the difference between the 2 chassis, new vs legacy, the spin ratios are so close as to blur the line. I am confident that you should get similar values and you should be able to obtain a comparable MPG value as the 5 speed with a higher gear achieves.

The W24 is rated for more GVWR/GCWR therefore the lower gear. A W25.5 has a 6.14 and at 26K lbs GCWR the "new" UFO has a 6.17 final drive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2. How do you rate the handling on your coach with the W24 chassis? It sounds like a lot of folks are is adding sway-bars and other suspension components to improve the ride. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Do not be swayed by what a lot of other folks are doing with their coaches. Every coach will exhibit a unique diveability factor unless you can obtain a comment from the owner of a 37 foot Damon (Intruder?). The W-24 is one of the best handling coaches, stock, that I have driven. Your test drive should also make this abundantly clear to you as well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The weight, wind resistance and rolling resistance (tires + inflation) of your particular coach will have much more effect than 5 speed vs 6 speed or 2006 vs earlier. As Driver notes, the final drive ratio at the rear wheels is esentially identical.

My 2002 W22 delivers about 7.3 mpg at 65 mph, that's weighing in at 21,300 + towing a 3200 lb toad. I would guess the larger & heavier Damon 37 might be a bit less but it's hard to forecast that closely.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:00 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
We've been full-timing in our 06' 37' Allegro Bay W24 for a year now, traveling both in the east and west (we're currently in Montana). We tow a small SUV (Tribute), typically travel between 58 & 62 MPH and have averaged 7.6 MPG with little generator use on the road. We are close to our max coach weight and do not have any major handling problems as received from the factory. I pay close attention to weight distribution and while it doesn't drive like a car, I don't feel the need to add any suspension components. I'm very satisfied with the performance and handling.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #6

We have a 2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38j on the W24. Mileage has been around 7.2 at 62 mph with a 3000# toad. Drivetrain combo is great, and ride very good (shocks and sway bar setup). Handling has been an issue I've been trying to deal with. Stock it was nearly undrivable. Weighing the coach and adjusting air pressures helped, rear Tru-Trac helped a bit, alignment and Steer Safe didn't have any effect. Still constantly needing to make steering corrections. Even being passed by a car moves the coach over 2 feet. I don't intend to keep adding every aftermarket product made so I guess I'll just live with it. My old 2001 Suncruiser W20 handled much better though the ride was not as good. If anyone can shed some new light on a fix I'd like to hear it.
john lipecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by john lipecki:
If anyone can shed some new light on a fix I'd like to hear it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We have seen where a caster adjustment helped improve the directional control on the W24. You absolutely need to go to a Workhorse Service Center and have your situation evaluated.

Some folks went from 3? to 5? using caster shims and it seems to have helped. Workhorse has documented that the caster is not adjustable however Workhorse has stated that if any such adjustment is needed that the service center should contact the WCC TAC to obtain the correct proceedure to accomplish the adjustment.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:00 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
MasterChief;

I looked at Damon's 2007 Intruder brochure online. The only coach Damon offers for 2007 on the W24 chassis is the 39' model 391. The 38' models, 373, 374 and 378 only come on the W22 chassis.

I checked the Challenger brochure and those models only use the W22.

Which 37' model are you considering and are you certain the W24 is an option???

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:30 PM   #9

Thanks DriVer. I'll have Crystal Valley RV in Island Lake, Il look at it and I'll pass your information on to him.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:18 PM   #10

Some folks went from 3? to 5? using caster shims and it seems to have helped. Workhorse has documented that the caster is not adjustable however Workhorse has stated that if any such adjustment is needed that the service center should contact the WCC TAC to obtain the correct proceedure to accomplish the adjustment.[/QUOTE]

Workhorse just did this to mine. So we will see what happens when I pick it up next week.

San Diego
nobuggybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:47 PM   #11

Thanks for the tip on the caster shims. We had it done while the MH was at Winnebago for some body work and it made a BIG difference!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:09 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by john lipecki:
Thanks for the tip on the caster shims. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I hope that you are beginning to see the benefit of being a member here on the best lil' ol' Internet RV website on the Net! Thanks for participating and please "do" come back and visit us often.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:14 AM   #13

My wife & I just purchased a 2006 Winnebago Voyage 38J. The 8.1 engine had no power at all. Took it to a Chevy repair shop in Port Richey, FL. They found low fuel pressure was the problem, changed the fuel filter, problem was still there, they are now trying to find the right fuel pump, the first 2 the ordered were wrong. Rig is still in shop, will post power and mileage info when we get the coach back next week and hit the road to Vero Beach, FL, our next site we are heading to on Dec. 2
DougJames65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJames65 View Post
My wife & I just purchased a 2006 Winnebago Voyage 38J. The 8.1 engine had no power at all. Took it to a Chevy repair shop in Port Richey, FL. They found low fuel pressure was the problem, changed the fuel filter, problem was still there, they are now trying to find the right fuel pump, the first 2 the ordered were wrong. Rig is still in shop, will post power and mileage info when we get the coach back next week and hit the road to Vero Beach, FL, our next site we are heading to on Dec. 2
The fuel pump for your W24 chassis is fairly specific. Make sure you have the correct fuel pump coming or it will not solve your problem.

Did the shop tell you how low your fuel pressure actually is? Should be somewhere in the 58-60psi range. Typically when one of these fuel pumps start acting up they just quits all together. I wonder if something in the tank is plugging the sock filter on the pump itself? The tank is easy to drop so the shop should have no issue getting it down and the pump out for an inspection. One caution and this is very important. The tank MUST go back up in the exact same place it came from. As in within 1/4 of an inch. The way the saddles are designed it allows the tank to be positioned up to an inch forward or back from the correct resting place. If they reinstall the tank positioned even 1/2" forward of where it should go this will put the generator fuel pick up nipple directly below a frame cross member. A hard bump (like a rough bridge approach or railroad tracks) will cause the fuel tank to bounce and this nipple can break off spraying fuel all over the rear underside of the coach, including the hot exhaust.

Anyway. Here is a link to the correct fuel pump. It's not cheap but this is the correct pump no doubt. Lots of similar pumps are not correct.

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Work...mp-Assembly-04

Here is some more info on fuel pumps that will cross reference with the correct fuel pump.

https://www.oemys-performance.com/wh....htm#fuelpumps

AKIQPilot is online now   Reply With Quote