Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #1

I have a 2004 Itasca 36" MH with an 8.1L engine. I noticed when under load ( going up a hill for example ) the engine got a lot louder. It almost sounds like a leak in the exhaust system. On a recent trip I was able to keep up with trafic on very hilly conditions. I was pulling a jeep wrangler and got 6.1 MPG. Also when in park and I rev the engine it goes to 3000 rpm max. It sounds like some kind of rev limiter takes control. Is this all normal?
jolynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #2

I have a 2004 Itasca 36" MH with an 8.1L engine. I noticed when under load ( going up a hill for example ) the engine got a lot louder. It almost sounds like a leak in the exhaust system. On a recent trip I was able to keep up with trafic on very hilly conditions. I was pulling a jeep wrangler and got 6.1 MPG. Also when in park and I rev the engine it goes to 3000 rpm max. It sounds like some kind of rev limiter takes control. Is this all normal?
Old 05-30-2005, 03:50 PM   #3

The engine getting louder is likely the cooling fan(s) kicking in for the engine. Completely normal.

As for the engine maxing out at 3000 rpm in Park, my question would be- why are you revving it that high in Park? That's the quickest way to damage an engine- revving it high with no load on it. It sounds like the governor is keeping the engine speed down to prevent damage, but I'm not going to try it with mine to see if it does it too to establish if it's "normal."

Happy trails,
Dave

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
There are many systems in place that will keep you from blowing up the engine or transmission.

Rev limiters is one such system. I haven't tried hitting 3 grand in park. but then again I would have no reason to.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:26 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a limiter built in to the ECM which prevents over revving in park or neutral while the vehicle isn't moving. This is normal. And I too would ask why were you doing this? I agree with DriVer and Catdave, it's not a good idea.

The mechanical fan clutch engaging can create a lot of noise. This usually happens when you sustain a heavy load for a long period of time or you're driving in very hot conditions. Also normal.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:40 AM   #6

I only tried it once...I dont want to cause problems. On the noise it is a change from the muffler not the engine. It almost sounds like I have a leak in the muffler. When not under load it sounds fine. I was trying to rev it in my driveway to see if I could figure out if I had a leak or not. thanks for all the responses...any ideas?
Old 05-31-2005, 01:28 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just found my [park] rev limiter, in a 02, WH--it is 2.8K. And the reason is after I warm the engine for 15 or 20 min. the condensation is still blowing out the tail pipe. It has worked for 45 years, without a rev. limiter!!coopcolt
Old 06-02-2005, 12:21 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
My exhaust gets really loud and raspy sounding at high RPMs just before a shift if I really put my foot into it. I have heard others mention this so I would bet it is normal. Most have not heard it because they usually drive with their windows closed. I too have put my foot to the floor in neutral and it will rev up to about 3000 and stop. 3000 is not excessive or Chevy would lower the limit. I wouldn't keep it there all day however. The reason I floored it in neutral is to trouble shoot my low power problem. Turns out it was just another pesky burnt plug wire again.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:38 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
jolynch, Let me be the first to welcome you to irv2
All this talk about revving up the 8.1 sure gives me the creeps.
I'am sure Workhorse has put all the limiters in to safe guard there engine from putting a tie rod thru the block.
A oil pump failure can give you all the excitement you need when the engine freezes up. Happened on one of my Fords.
I like to drive like I had an egg between my foot an the gas peddle, thats how I can appreciate the power I have under me. --"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:28 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
I like to drive like I had an egg between my foot an the gas pedal, thats how I can appreciate the power I have under me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This technique will also return improved economy figures and save you something tangible -- $$"<span class="ev_code_GREEN">Money</span>"$$
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote