Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #1

4L80 parking pawl sticking

I have a 98 Winnebago Adventurer and this last season I had trouble getting my shifter out of park and in to gear. I am wondering if the parking pawl could be damaged or if it is just the parking brake not holding. I have been applying the parking brake manually and even tried putting it in gear and drove against the parking brake and it did seam to hold. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is your "parking brake" applied by your foot or hand lever? If not, do you have a "yellow knob" that you are manually applying to set the brake?

Old 11-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #3

It is a foot pedal to operate it manually. It is aromatically applied by hydraulics.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:22 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Well I can tell you it's not the parking pawl because your transmission does not have one. That is why you have the automatically applied park brake. I'm not 100% clear on your issue though, is it that you physically could not move the lever out of the park (P) position?
Ultra RV Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:23 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure how you apply your brake, but do this: when you are ready to park: Apply the parking brake firmly, shift to neutral and release your foot brake (take foot of the brake pedal) then shift to park. This will allow the driveline to relax from the trans and the load essentially will shift to the emergency brake. Your parking pawl is more than likely fine or it would not be still be working. Then you can get out and chock your wheels if this is what you also do.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCJeepguy View Post
It is a foot pedal to operate it manually. It is aromatically applied by hydraulics.

The reason for my questions was to determine IF you have the J71 AAPB or not. Your reply has added to my uncertainty. Like Jon, I was assuming you did not have a park pawl BECAUSE of having the AAPB, but I've been wrong before. 😟. I don't think you should have both a foot applied parking brake (PB) AND a Auto Applied Parking Brake (AAPB). It is true that some of the lighter GVWR rated P32 chassis did not need the AAPB, and I Think those (only) may have a pawl in their trannies, but I'm just not sure. I suggest you get a GM dealer to run you VIN # to see if you have the J71 or not.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #7

I have little doubt that it does have a parking pawl otherwise I have no other explanation for the difficulty getting it out of park. It also does have an automatically applied parking break.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I have little doubt that it does have a parking pawl otherwise I have no other explanation for the difficulty getting it out of park. It also does have an automatically applied parking break.
I'm just trying to help and don't want to seem argumentative here, but the ONLY reason GM was required to add the infamous J71 AAPB system was because the GM 4L-80E tranny did not contain a parking pawl. Don't take my word for it, that is what Jon Brazel (ultrarvproducts.com) posted and I doubt you can find anyone that knows more about GM/Workhorse chassis than Jon.

The J71 AAPB has a well deserved reputation for being troublesome for a LOT of P32 owners, so much so that at least 2 of its pressure switches are commonly described as "rotten" and there are several aftermarket suppliers offering "new and improved" versions of them.

You can learn a lot about this infamous J71 AAPB by visiting the "auto park library" or sending an email to Roger Haag at oldusedbear11@charter.net

As to why you may have trouble shifting out of "P", I believe your vintage used a mechanical connection from the inside lever to the tranny and not a "shift by wire" electronic harness. If so, there may be a problem with the linkage getting into a bind from lack of lubrication, or even worn out pivot points-I really don't know- but I would suggest eliminating all other factors before tearing down your tranny to fix a parking pawl that isn't there.

Good luck finding the problem, and please come back and post the resolution if you fix it.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #9

We have a P-30 chassis with autopark and no parking pawl, and have experienced trouble shifting out of the park position if parked on an incline. My cure is to do what Davidjeff recommends and firmly apply the brake pedal before shifting into park. I know there is no pawl to stick, but assume the wrong application sequence just causes a bind somewhere in the shift lever mechanism.

Quote:
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #10

Boy, this post is clear as mud.

My mechanical mind just wants to know how a shift selector can bind, if parked on an incline, with no parking pawl in the transmission.

Hopefully some GM expert can explain.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:19 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2 cents says he needs a "new shift cable".
It just jams in the park position because it is melted.

Mike
Old 11-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #12

autopark

From about mid 94 to about mid 98, the autopark system had both the manually applied foot pedal to the left of the steering column AND the autopark feature which applied the same parking brake by putting the gear shift lever into the PARK position. No parking pawl on these coaches.

The autopark feature has a cam operated switch which is mechanically fastened to the gear shift linkage. This switch is sposed to activate the autopark system when you pull the shift lever out of PARK, and into REVERSE or any other gear position. These switches eventually lose their lubrication and get sticky - - This is a common problem.

The cure is to lube the cam switch - - It may also require adjustment.

We have lots of info available for this system at rhaag11@charter.net

oldusedbear
Old 11-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldusedbear View Post
From about mid 94 to about mid 98, the autopark system had both the manually applied foot pedal to the left of the steering column AND the autopark feature which applied the same parking brake by putting the gear shift lever into the PARK position. No parking pawl on these coaches.

The autopark feature has a cam operated switch which is mechanically fastened to the gear shift linkage. This switch is sposed to activate the autopark system when you pull the shift lever out of PARK, and into REVERSE or any other gear position. These switches eventually lose their lubrication and get sticky - - This is a common problem.

The cure is to lube the cam switch - - It may also require adjustment.

We have lots of info available for this system at rhaag11@charter.net

oldusedbear
THAT makes sense !

Being on an incline, or not, would have no effect on it binding, though.

Thanks for the education.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:26 AM   #14

Please allow me to jump in here.....
I have the same albeit intermittent problem in that my 1994 P32 coach sometimes gets stuck in park. I've found that if i cycle the ignition once it frees itself.
Oldusedbear, please could you point me in the direction of the sticky cam / switch then I can try and lube or replace it.
Thanks in advance,
Pete.

kennyrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote