Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #1

5000 tow package to 7500 lb

is it possible to cheat the max weight allowed to be towed? Going from 5000 to 6500.
joecoolermn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoolermn View Post
is it possible to cheat the max weight allowed to be towed? Going from 5000 to 6500.
Only if you are prepared for your insurance company walking away in the event of an accident.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
you would have to make sure the frame, hitch, rear suspension, axle, & tires were suited to the task coupled with a good brake controller.

The hitch is easy.
The frame may have to be reinforced and the rear suspension may need an extra leaf.
Youll just have to make sure you have enough allowance from the curb weight to the GCVW
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
you would have to make sure the frame, hitch, rear suspension, axle, & tires were suited to the task coupled with a good brake controller.

The hitch is easy.
The frame may have to be reinforced and the rear suspension may need an extra leaf.
Youll just have to make sure you have enough allowance from the curb weight to the GCVW
And with all that, I still think you'd be libel in an accident and not be covered by insurance as bdickson pointed out.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
And with all that, I still think you'd be libel in an accident and not be covered by insurance as bdickson pointed out.
What happens when 18 wheelers are over weight?
Libel has nothing to do with anything on this thread unless the OP has a 40ft bus with distasteful pictures or sayings on the side of it that are untrue or harmful to someones reputation.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
What happens when 18 wheelers are over weight?
Libel has nothing to do with anything on this thread unless the OP has a 40ft bus with distasteful pictures or sayings on the side of it that are untrue or harmful to someones reputation.
Sorry, meant LIABLE. I plead brain fart. Even if you made everything strong enough, in an accident a smart lawyer or insurance company would use the fact that you were towing over limit SPECIFIED BY MANUFACTURER would give reason not to support you or pay expenses. I know others on here will tell stories of towing grossly over specs 'for years or thousands of miles with no problems' but it only takes one problem to change that and then you and your family's fortune will be on the line.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoolermn View Post
Most likely will never know the difference, as the GCVW percentage here is pretty small. Still, I'd have it checked out by an unbiased professional of sorts and what might be your hitch receiver rating, which could be beefed up some if not more than 5000#.
There's a very large amount of overloaded RV's on the road without the owners having a clue and some that aren't towing anything. My biggest concern with any of them is transmission heat when climbing grades and braking capabilities when descending.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Sorry, meant LIABLE. I plead brain fart. Even if you made everything strong enough, in an accident a smart lawyer or insurance company would use the fact that you were towing over limit SPECIFIED BY MANUFACTURER would give reason not to support you or pay expenses. I know others on here will tell stories of towing grossly over specs 'for years or thousands of miles with no problems' but it only takes one problem to change that and then you and your family's fortune will be on the line.
Like I asked... professional truckers are often overweight and they get citations.
You are also assuming a claim will be filed. I have yet to see an adjuster or accident investigator physically weigh a vehicle. Heck my friend that bounced his big block mustang off a concrete divider 5 times wasn't denied coverage on his vehicle that came with a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder.

OP is asking for a 25% increase in tow capacity which really isnt hard to do.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Legally, the only one that can modify a vehicle that way is the manufacturer according to Federal law.
The ratings are based on the LOWEST rating of everything on a vehicle. Might be the tires, wheels, brakes, axles, suspension, frame, engine, transmission, etc.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
When a professional trucker is overweight, he is cited for exceeding the weight limit of the roadway. His truck might be designed to carry more weight, the limit is set to save the roadway. When an RV is overweight, it is often exceeding the design limits of some component of the vehicle.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #11

Joe,

This is on the WH moho forum, so I guess you want to tow 7500 on a 5000 hitch.

You have not been back to your thread so I guess you have changed your mind. If true, you have chosen wisely.

My best to you and my old home state!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:15 AM   #12

I want to thank all that have contributed to this post, I think I'll pass on the idea that I had as I know " if it can go wrong, it will on my watch" thanks again.
joecoolermn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Legally, the only one that can modify a vehicle that way is the manufacturer according to Federal law.
The ratings are based on the LOWEST rating of everything on a vehicle. Might be the tires, wheels, brakes, axles, suspension, frame, engine, transmission, etc.
which Federal law would that be? You are free to modify the vehicle anyway you see fit. Car dealerships do it daily and there used to be a whole cottage industry of "conversion vans".
Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #14

Quote:
which Federal law would that be? You are free to modify the vehicle anyway you see fit. Car dealerships do it daily and there used to be a whole cottage industry of "conversion vans".
There are all sorts of laws on what you can't modify on a vehicle (and have it remain legal for on-road use). For example, you're not allowed to modify the emission controls and remain legal. Just because your particular jurisdiction may not check doesn't make your mods legal.

As for towing more than 5000 lbs, it depends on what causes that limitation. Many people think that if the difference between the GCWR and GVWR is 5000 lbs, then all they can tow is 5000lbs. That's not true. If you read the details, it says the amount a vehicle is under GVWR can be applied to GCWR. For example, a vehicle that weights fully loaded 22000, has a GCWR of 30000, and a GVWR of 26000 could tow 8000 lbs if the hitch was up to it.

However, it still needs a hitch and frame rated for that load too. Heavier hitches can be installed legally, but DIY frame reinforcements are a gray area.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote