Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #1

Angry 8.1 Chevy Pops and looses power on grades

Hope someone can help me on this very challenging problem. Love our Winnebago and everything has been great until about two years ago on a trip. The engine runs great on flat ground and gets anywhere between 8-10 miles per gallon.
Now the engine pops loudly and looses power on a climb. As soon as I start a hill and the motor has a load on it it starts.
I have done just about everything I can can think of: plugs, plug wires, fuel filer, compression, emptied tank and put in 92 non ethenol in it, lots of additives, cps.
I've had two reputable mechanics ride me and put their portable scanners on the engine. No fault codes of any kind.
Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?
kruzer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #2

Sorry your having problems.
Plugs, wires and filters have been the cure for most, 8.1L, performance issues that I'm aware of , but the Workhorse crew should be along with more help shortly.
Questions;
Is the pop a single item when you go full throttle or continual while you've got your foot in it ?
Has the Mass Air Flow sensor been examined ?
EGR valve , checked ?
Is the intake manifold vacuum at a normal level ?
JMHO: Only thing I can think of would be weak valve springs; sticky intake valve.
How many miles on the engine ?
Old 09-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #3

Coil(s)? Maybe!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

You might get more answers by posting in the appropriate forum. Many of the people that can answer this do not come to the Introduce Yourself forum.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I hope your problem gets remedied soon.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #6

Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and monitor it while it happens. Does it occur if you go wide open throttle up to highway speeds. If you loose fuel pressure, it is possible to have induction backfires.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know about the pops, other than a possible exhaust manifold leak.

However a loss of power can be caused by a dirty MAF sensor along with a dirty air filter. After cleaning my MAF my lower power and surging problems went away along with the O2 sensor warnings.

What year and how many miles are on your rig?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzer55 View Post
Hope someone can help me on this very challenging problem. Love our Winnebago and everything has been great until about two years ago on a trip. The engine runs great on flat ground and gets anywhere between 8-10 miles per gallon.
Now the engine pops loudly and looses power on a climb. As soon as I start a hill and the motor has a load on it it starts.
I have done just about everything I can can think of: plugs, plug wires, fuel filer, compression, emptied tank and put in 92 non ethenol in it, lots of additives, cps.
I've had two reputable mechanics ride me and put their portable scanners on the engine. No fault codes of any kind.
Intake leak is my guess. Related to throttle position and manifold pressure...Will it do it on a flat surface when you go to WOT?
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi and Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Sorry I can't help with your problem.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #10

8.1 Chevy pops and looses power on grades answers

Thank you for trying to help me on this very challenging problem.
1. For Skip 426.....yes it is a continual popping noise coming (I think) out of the intake manifold. Also, as I drive along I feel a little buffeting. Yes I've checked the Mass Air Flow. EGR is good. As far as intake manifold vacuum I don't know on that one, but my fuel pressure was at 52 lbs. and holding.

2. For JMHO.....42,000 on the engine. Pulled valve springs on lowest compression cylinder all above 160-165. Valve springs to speck. Not broken on #2 cylinder. Don't know if I have a sticky intake valve. Good compression on all cylinders.

3. For DMorgan 6375......Coils: Haven't done that step yet. Don't know how to test. No error codes. Very expensive to replace all of them. Any suggestions?

4. For James rxx951......We did the fuel pressure monitor. Yep! Pops like crazy at full throttle. Fuel pressure stayed above 52 lbs.

5. For Arch Hoagland.....42,000 miles. 2001 Winnebago Adventurer. Only affected when warm outside and going up a steep grade. MAF checked. I will check my air filter.

6. For Calhyatt.....It will when it is hot.

I really appreciate all of you trying to help me on this. We are in Grass Valley and on vacation. Concerned about heading home and going up 3 summits with Ashland being the highest on I-5.

Is 52 lbs. plus adequate? I'm at my end. Can't figure this out. I was assured my crank shaft positioning sensor (which I replaced) would solve it. To no avail.
The thing that really puzzles me is I ran for 200 miles, up two summits going south to California with absolutely perfect running. As soon as I started up the Shasta summit with the outside temperature up it started popping and progressively got worst. Needless to say I am stumped....
Lonnie Tharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzer55 View Post
Old 09-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #11

Map sensor maybe?
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #12

Is the "Check Engine"light on?
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #13

MAP sensor has been checked. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasright View Post
Map sensor maybe?
Old 09-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #14

No. the check Engine Light has never come on. Nothing makes much sense. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasright View Post
Is the "Check Engine"light on?

Tags
power, chevy